NCAA Tourny to go with 96 teams

• 16 replies
NCAA Tourny to go with 96 teams
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:07:08 PM »
An ESPN source said, “It’s a done deal with the expansion of the tournament. Depending on how soon a (TV) deal is done, the added teams could start next year. The NCAA confirmed that bidders would be interested in 96 teams, so they’re going with it.”

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/source-march-madness-with-96-teams-done-deal-27742

Re: NCAA Tourny to go with 96 teams
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
If they implement it for this year maybe we can get in... :'(

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
Personally I think it's an awful idea meant only to coddle up to the majors who want all teams with a 40% conference winning percentage or better to get a share of the $$$$.  If there was a caveat that each of the 32 conferences got a minimum of 2 teams each maybe I'd be in favor but I don't want to see an 11th place BE team and a 9th place ACC team even have a chance of surprising everyone and ruining a perfectly good basketball season simply so everyone can get a few more bucks.

Here's the breakdown per this morning's Bracketology plus the last 8 out added in:
BIDS BY CONFERENCE
Big 12 (7)
Big East (7) + 3 = 10
ACC (6) + 2 = 8
Atlantic 10 (5)
SEC (5) + 1 = 6
Big Ten (4) + 1 = 5
Mountain West (3)
Colonial (2)
Conference USA (2)
Pac-10 (2)
West Coast (2)
Missouri Valley (1) + 1 = 2

Now they're going to give out 23 more bids over this?  Ridiculous.  At least maybe Harvard would get one in a year like this but I doubt it.  Theres 20 1 bid conferences per this breakdown.  Guarantee they all have to play in what would essentially amount to 32 play in games.  And every team seeded 9 - 24 in each region would have to win 7 games to grab the ring (I'm assuming 32 first round byes).   I'm getting angrier and angrier just thinking about it.  Greedy SOB's.

Also would hope that this would mean the end of the NIT because it would be a god awful tournament if this is really where they end up.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:57:09 PM by yankcranker »

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
This could really help our NIT chances.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
This could really help our NIT chances.

You are on a roll today Poison!   ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »
NCAA tells Goodman that it's not a done deal (yet)

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/Goodman-NCAA-tournament-expansion-020110

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »
this is a terrible idea. it takes out the emphasis on the regular season. since you wont need as many wins to make it now.

plus that means they're adding 32 more mediocre teams like us.

making the tournament will now be the equivalent to going to a bowl game in college football.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »
this is a terrible idea. it takes out the emphasis on the regular season. since you wont need as many wins to make it now.

making the tournament will now be the equivalent to going to a bowl game in college football.

I agree. If it aint broke...

The NCAA tourny is the best sporting event around imo. The first 4 days are insane

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »

I agree. If it aint broke...

The NCAA tourny is the best sporting event around imo. The first 4 days are insane

Well now it will be the first six days.  I can see teams outside the top 32 having to play Tue/Thu/Sat or Wed/Fri/Sun the first week to get to the Sweet Sixteen.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 09:11:34 PM »
This idea is AWFUL.  Absolutely awful.  This deal isn't being made the coddle to the major teams, its being made to coddle to the TV contract.  They're milking their brand, and what they would actually wind up doing is likely watering it down.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »

exactly what i was thinking

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »
This idea is AWFUL.  Absolutely awful.  This deal isn't being made the coddle to the major teams, its being made to coddle to the TV contract.  They're milking their brand, and what they would actually wind up doing is likely watering it down.

The fact that it's about money was a given.  It's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny.  But who's going to get mos of that money?  The majors. 

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »
Ill hop on the bandwagon saying this is a dumb idea.  Really marginalizes the regular season, especially for the big conferences.  WHat they should do is incorporate a regular season conference title with an automatic bid for the smaller conferences.  THerefore, it doesnt hinge on just the conference tournament for these schools.  I honestly like how it is and dont want to see 11-12 big east schools make the tourney each year.   

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 02:22:36 AM »
it turns the nit into the bci. 

this way if monasch says he expects us to be in the nit next year, he may be on target.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »
Horrible idea.  I'm not a math major, but 96 teams would mean byes would have to be handed out.  That is not the NCAA Tournament. 

Why mess with the single best tournament in all of sports?  The regular season becomes a joke for the major conferenes if this is goes through. 

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »
I, too, think it is a terrible idea.  But, then again, I though going to 64 was a terrible idea.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »
It's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny.

"got to have a con in this land of milk and honey"

Bad idea.  Don't play with the sublime perfection that is the Ncaa tournament, America's greatest sporting event.

Actually, the entire makeup of the college BB season is perfect as is.

Midnight madness...exhibitions...out of conference schedule...in conference schedule...conference tournament...Ncaa tournament

From foreplay to climax in a perfectly ordered logical sequence.