THE END OF Coach Roberts' Reign as SJU Head Coach

• 38 replies

sjd8886

Re: THE END OF Coach Roberts' Reign as SJU Head Coach
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:32 PM »
would u rather have cal take us to a national champ then have the entire season erased bc he committed 12 ncaa violations? :)

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »
Missed game but it sounds like the kids play'd hard but same result.....Norm can't say the kids didn't care because they played hard for him.

kob24

Re: THE END OF AN ERROR
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 12:16:26 AM »
Screw this whole idea of moving him upstairs...Take your 800K plus the millions you've made in the last 6 years (and haven't earned) and make like a tree and get out of here...
this is called hatred

kob24

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 12:18:03 AM »
would u rather have cal take us to a national champ then have the entire season erased bc he committed 12 ncaa violations? :)
lmao

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 12:34:07 AM »
I think bigmaxnosause is so bitter towards NR is because he tried out as a walk on in Norms first year at St. Johns and didn't make the cut.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 01:36:56 AM »
Screw this whole idea of moving him upstairs...Take your 800K plus the millions you've made in the last 6 years (and haven't earned) and make like a tree and get out of here...

Make like a tree and get the #$%^ out....

what movie is that from?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 01:59:14 AM »

Make like a tree and get the #$%^ out....

what movie is that from?

back to the future...biff to marty mcfly

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »
A guy getting whacked is nothing to cheer or chirp about. He didn't steal his salary. his players didn't tie people up and rob them, his players didn't punch anyone on the court. He doesn't have a laundry list of violations. He didn't bang any chicks on restaurant tables. He's just guilty of having poor assistants who weren't x and o savy.

His players obviously loved him and wanted to play hard for him. Maybe if D Buckets was healthy...he would have hit an extra shot and we would be prepping for Miss St v posters wanting another NIT coach, Greenberg.

Anyone who has lost their job, either fairly or unfairly, knows this really isn't anything worth celebrating.

Tha Kid

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:50 PM »
A guy getting whacked is nothing to cheer or chirp about. He didn't steal his salary. his players didn't tie people up and rob them, his players didn't punch anyone on the court. He doesn't have a laundry list of violations. He didn't bang any chicks on restaurant tables. He's just guilty of having poor assistants who weren't x and o savy.

His players obviously loved him and wanted to play hard for him. Maybe if D Buckets was healthy...he would have hit an extra shot and we would be prepping for Miss St v posters wanting another NIT coach, Greenberg.

Anyone who has lost their job, either fairly or unfairly, knows this really isn't anything worth celebrating.

Norm has been paid upwards of 4 million dollars by this university.  He has become a household name in NYC because of St. John's.  He will have an opportunity to work on tv, get a head coaching job elsewhere, or become an assistant again.  He even gets a BUY OUT.

Don't act like this is a guy at the steel mill trying to feed a family of four. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »

Great post! Not to mention so called fans rooting for a loss

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
kid...its not we dont want norm fired we dont want 4/20 man either.

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 10:16:10 PM »

you guys want HOFers or NOTHING.  I'm asking for a list of 5 guys or so who are REALISTIC.  No Donovan, no Pitino.  give me a list of 5.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
I'd take any of....Greenburg, Willard, McCaffery, Hewitt, anyone else (in no particular order)

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:43 PM »

you guys want HOFers or NOTHING.  I'm asking for a list of 5 guys or so who are REALISTIC.  No Donovan, no Pitino.  give me a list of 5.

Why is Pitino not realistic? once again, if were shelling out 1.5M for 6 years, shortent the contract 2.25M for 4 years or 3M for 3 years. until the admin attempt this and at the very least makess a phone call, we should not defer to 4/20 man.

Tha Kid

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »

Why is Pitino not realistic? once again, if were shelling out 1.5M for 6 years, shortent the contract 2.25M for 4 years or 3M for 3 years. until the admin attempt this and at the very least makess a phone call, we should not defer to 4/20 man.

We haven't had a big name in 20 years.  Just play my game, pick 5 "realistic" guys.  Who are yours?

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I know much of anything about Seth Greenberg's past, but I keep seeing people refer to this 4\20 and acting like the other 16 years his teams were completely uncompetitive. He may not have made the NCAAs for those years, but was he not atleast competitive and on the bubble for some of those years? Again, I'm not gonna pretend I know about his previous teams, but I find it hard to believe that his 4 tournament years were his only competitive years and that his teams were never in the hunt for the tournament the other 16. How many times have we been in serious talks about making the NCAA tournament under norm? Zero.

Everybody wanted a change, but now nobody wants a change unless its for a hall of famer. Norm has reached his peak, he's not going to take this team much further than he already has. A guy like Greenberg would give us a chance at the NCAAs every year, and we'd undoubtedly make the tournament some of those years. Isn't that what we've been asking for for a decade now?

If he peaks as a coach that can take us to the tourny every few years but was never able to take us to the "next level" as a serious threat in the tournament, well you know what? St. John's will no longer be irrelevent in college basketball and will be regarded as a better job than it is now, and then maybe at that point we'd be able to land a REAL home run coach.

With all that being said, I'm not even saying that Greenberg would be my #1 choice, but for some people to say that he'd be no better than norm is IMO silly. No one is declaring Greenberg a "home run" but hes definitely a step up and at the very least a step in the right direction.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 02:57:43 AM »

With all that being said, I'm not even saying that Greenberg would be my #1 choice, but for some people to say that he'd be no better than norm is IMO silly. No one is declaring Greenberg a "home run" but hes definitely a step up and at the very least a step in the right direction.

your not understanding my point, he is better, but not for 1.5M/yr when hes only making 850K at Vtech. maybe not a home run salary, but very well capable if the contract length is shorten to 4 years (2.25M/yr) or even 3 years (3M/yr).  its not all or nothing its just selling yourself short.....look if SJU wanted greenburg and paid him 20% more than he was making @ vtech, i would be less critical.

Tha Kid

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »
Buckeye who cares about the money?  Is it coming out of your pocket?

You must not have been an economics or finance major if you think that st johns being able to offer a 6 year 1.5 mil per year contract is the same as going 3 mil for 3 or 2.25 for 4.  Stop saying it, it makes no sense.  Or do you picture fr harrington swimmming in a vault of exactly 9 mil that he can use on a coach.  And what after the 3 yrs? We fire pitino bc the 9 mil ran out? Logic makes no sense.  Jeez.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:09:26 AM by Tha Kid »

Tha Kid

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 07:43:05 AM »

Buckeye - I'm starting to think you're worse than baldi.

For the sake of argument, assume pitino and donovan are off limits.

Name 5 realistic candidates.