Hewitt spirits rise with talk of St. John's [NY Daily News]

• 4 replies
Hewitt spirits rise with talk of St. John's [NY Daily News]
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »
 Georgia Tech's Paul Hewitt says everything a successful and secure coach should say. He already has a great job in a great conference. He loves Atlanta. His three daughters are in school there. What more, he says, could a person ask for?

Hewitt answered all the questions that came his way after the Yellow Jackets' 75-66 loss to No. 2 Ohio State Sunday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, a tough time for any coach. But when he was asked whether St. John's can return to glory, the man lit up.

----

The Daily News contacted a number of coaches in the high school and AAU community on Friday and the majority responded overwhelmingly to two of the candidates frequently mentioned: Hewitt and Hofstra's Tom Pecora.

-----

One thing thought to be a stumbling block is that contract with Tech, which states the party who walks away must pay to get out, unless the sides agree to part ways. If they don't, a New York source said it would cost $3.5 million on Hewitt's end.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/22/2010-03-22_head_coach_paul_hewitt_falls_with_georgia_tech_but_spirits_rise_with_talk_of_st_.html#ixzz0iuMint4o
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Hewitt spirits rise with talk of St. John's [NY Daily News]
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:00:42 AM »
Why would these guys be high on Pecora?

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:35:03 AM »
If we can't get Pitino or Donovan I would be happy with Hewitt. I looked at some of his recruiting classes from past years and he seems to know how to get most of the top talent in his area to stay home. I think that's what most of us here are looking for as far as recruiting. Keep the top talent at home and steal some talent here and there from OOS.

Also I think he developed Derrick Favors really well. Favors was raw and relied almost entirely on pure talent and you could see how much he improved throughout the year so maybe that's a tribute to his ability to develope talent.

Foad

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »

Because they assume that he'll find them a place at the trough?

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »

While his name is brought I figured I would post these videos I found on youtube of Pecora:

Hofstra Coach Tom Pecora in NYC

Hofstra Men's Basketball Coach Tom Pecora - 2008-2009 NCAA Tournament Analyst

I don't know if those were posted already but they give those of us who have no idea what he's like a little look at how he carries himself and what he's like.