Expansion Talk Heats Up Today

• 13 replies
Expansion Talk Heats Up Today
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/expansion-talk-heats-up-looking-at-the-proposed-schedule-for-a-96-team-field/1

From the Greg Shaheen pc today, it looks like it will legitimately increase to 96 teams next season.

I'd rather it stay as it is, but this almost ensures that St. John's will make the NCAA Tournament next season after a nearly decade drought.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:25:16 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

Re: Expansion Talk Heats Up Today
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »
The regular season is now meaningless.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
This doesn't make any sense.  Its gonna ruin the first 2 days of the tourney.  Every team already has a chance to get in with their conference tourney...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

boo3

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:59:04 PM »
Figures!  Basketball finally gets exciting around here and then they ruin the tournament.  Horrible idea.

Wods317

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Seems like a terrible by idea to me. The NCAA tournament is one of the few speical events oin sports and I dont see any reason to water it down. With 96 teams in the tournament there will have to be at least 5 teams that you look at and say how could thye have possibly got in. Teams with below .500 records in big conferences will now be in the big dance, that terrible. We will now be in the tourney all the time which is great but I didnt want it like this.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »
The regular season is now meaningless.
Coaches will still want better seeding and, although it is a bit of an optical illusion, there will be more heat than ever on high-major head coaches that miss the postseason.

It simply makes the accomplishment of making the NCAA Tournament less meaningful and generates more revenue for the next TV contract.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:33:15 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »
Why mess with the best tournament in sports.  Ridiculous.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
The only way i d be on board with this is if they took 2 teams from each conference(ie reg season champ and tourney champ/2nd place if reg and tourney are the same). That would give more mid majors a shot and limit the number of mediocre/flat out bad teams from the bottom of the big six conferences that dilute the field. Also, with the expanded 96, the conference champions should not be placed in the first round. Again this protects the mid majors. Only at large bids should compete in the first round. Sadly i dont this will be the setup and the small schools will get shafted, and IMO the small guys getting their shot against the big boys makes the tournament compelling.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
The only way i d be on board with this is if they took 2 teams from each conference(ie reg season champ and tourney champ/2nd place if reg and tourney are the same). That would give more mid majors a shot and limit the number of mediocre/flat out bad teams from the bottom of the big six conferences that dilute the field. Also, with the expanded 96, the conference champions should not be placed in the first round. Again this protects the mid majors. Only at large bids should compete in the first round. Sadly i dont this will be the setup and the small schools will get shafted, and IMO the small guys getting their shot against the big boys makes the tournament compelling.

Agreed, this gives the regular season more meaning and will make it interesting around tourney time in that you dont know how many spots will be available.  If they dont include more mid-majors and there are 12-13 teams in the BE conference there really is no point to the regular season.   

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:34:59 AM »
NCAA = Greed!!! Damn pigs. I can't name half of these waterdown bowl games with teams with 6-6 records. Now they are messing up basketball. Are the women moving to 96 too?

sjd8886

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:40:23 AM »
this tournament is my favorite thing in all of sports...ill hate them forever if they ruin it...out of all the one bid conferences how many have more than one team that can stage an upset...and the bigger conferences beat each other up to the point where if u were a bubble team in  apower conference, chances are u arent doing anything anyway

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »
I actually think that St. John's v. Rhode Island game would have been fun to watch.    Just a thought.

sjd8886

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:30:58 AM »
96 teams? pshhh i can ruin the tournament much better than that...i would expand it to a field 347...no regular season, no conference tournaments, just the ncaa tournament...it starts in November, and goes till march, and everyone in d1 gets a shot at the title...lots of $$$ there man