2011: Early Top 50 Ranking [CollegeHoopsNet]

• 17 replies
2011: Early Top 50 Ranking [CollegeHoopsNet]
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/2011-early-top-50-ranking-168630

IN the next 10

St. John's

This team is on the verge of returning to the tourney regardless of Lavin.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:54:09 PM by Dave »

boo3

Re: 2011: Early Top 50 Ranking
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »
Rankings don't mean shit anymore if they go to a 96 team tournament. Unless your really bad. 

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
Rankings don't mean shit anymore if they go to a 96 team tournament. Unless your really bad.

I guess, but if we werent mentioned it would be a problem

boo3

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:32:52 PM »

We should be a top 50 team regardless.  Norm could have gotten that done, i think.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »

We should be a top 50 team regardless.  Norm could have gotten that done, i think.

Some Iona fans seem to think so, they are loving them some Norm right now.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
 Poor bastards. ;)

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
Poor bastards. ;)

Iona is getting Masiello. but Norm was supposedly pushing hard for the gig

Marillac

Re: 2011: Early Top 50 Ranking [CollegeHoopsNet]
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »
The top Big East teams seem to be ranked a bit to high with the exception of Nova.  I think Pitt will be a soid top 25 team, but not top ten.  I'd be shocked if Syracuse is that good after losing Rautins and Wes Johnson.  Are they also losing Onuaku?  Rautins really made them click.  Kris Joseph will be great, but he is not Wes Johnson and he cannot shoot well.  They won't be the same type of team shotting the basketball for sure.

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
The top Big East teams seem to be ranked a bit to high with the exception of Nova.  I think Pitt will be a soid top 25 team, but not top ten.  I'd be shocked if Syracuse is that good after losing Rautins and Wes Johnson.  Are they also losing Onuaku?  Rautins really made them click.  Kris Joseph will be great, but he is not Wes Johnson and he cannot shoot well.  They won't be the same type of team shotting the basketball for sure.

Onuaku is a senior.  So, he'll be gone.

sjd8886

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »
so we are in the top 60...super

Poison

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:37:44 PM »

Boeheim has the top class in the conference coming in.
Dion Waiters is a top 20 recruit. He can shoot it. Mookie Jones will play, and they have a legit 7 footer that will start at center.

Fab Melo. Yea, that's really his name.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »

Onuaku is a senior.  So, he'll be gone.

They struggled without him.  They are losing three starters--three GOOD starters.  I think Rautins will really hurt because they are replacing him in the starting lineup with a guy that shoots half as well as him from three.   Kris Joseph shot ONLY 22% with just 1.2 attempts per game from three. 

Mookie is a very good outside shooter, but where will the minutes come from with Joseph on the floor for 30+ ?  Boeheim keeps a VERY thin bench.  He keeps a seven-man rotation with a few guys that chip in 5-10. 

The lineup right now has three fixed starters with Triche-Joseph-Jackson and probably that freshman big.  Scoop Jardine will get major minutes if not start himself. 

Triche shot 40% from three in limited attempts for the year, but only 27% in conference play--with all the focus on Johnson and Rautins.  Scoop Jardine hit 39% on the year and about the same in conference play, but averaged just 1.5 attempts per.

They just won't have anywhere near the team shooting next year.  They wil also lose alot without Onuaku. 

They should be good, but I shocked if they were top 20 good. 

Wods317

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »
I think top 60 is very fair for us. I think we will be better and probably be a NCAA team or on the bubble at least but after a disappointing year this year it doesnt surprise me we are not in top 50.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »
Syracuse is losing 3 good starters. Where have unheard this before?
They'll be a top 10-15 team. Not too shabby.

Waiters, Melo, and they have two other kids that can play, too.

The kid from Detroit was garbage, but we'll see what he does next year.
Etan Thomas was even worse as a freshman.

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »

I can attest that Waiters can immediately step in and challenge for playing time as a combo, while Melo (who has a very hard time understanding English) is arguably the top center in this class. Fair would've been a solid pickup for a St. John's, but Keita is raw.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 08:09:47 AM »

They lost some great talent last year, but they brought in a top 3 lottery pick JUNIOR and had their best shooter Rautins returning as a senior with both front court starters returning. 

They won't have the same shooting ability next year.  Triche and Scoop aren't bad shooters, but they aren't primary go-to shooters either.  They both got to pick their spots and take wide-open shots this year due to Johnson and Rautins drawing all of the attention on the perimeter. 

Kris Joseph is great, but he simply cannot shoot from deep at all.  22% with minimal attempts?  I think they'll be top 25 caliber, but not much more. 

Alos, Waiters is ranked #29 and is a 6'3 combo guard.  They already have Triche and Scoop there with Joseph entrenched at the three and Mookie as their best shooter.  If Mookie can't see the court, they won't have any real deep threats at all. 

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/never-too-early-for-a-new-top-25

24. SYRACUSE

Record: 30-5 (Sweet 16)
Lose: Andy Rautins, Arinze Onuaku
Probable Early Entry Departure: Wesley Johnson
Key Returnees: Brandon Triche, Scoop Jardine, Kris Joseph, DaShonte Riley, Mookie Jones
Newcomers: Fab Melo, Dion Waiters

Rautins and Onuaku are definitely gone, and it’d be a shocker if Johnson didn’t join them and leave. However, Joseph could emerge as a star, Triche and Jardine were impressive sharing point guard duties, and Waiters can come in and make an instant impact as a scoring guard.  Melo will be a work in progress, but he’s big and will give Jim Boeheim another big to go along with Jackson and Riley.