Maven says Coach Lavin visiting Oak Hill today!

• 16 replies
Maven says Coach Lavin visiting Oak Hill today!
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »
Anyone see his post on BEB. He states coach is visiting Lamb and Shelby today.It's posted under the title "Not thrilled with these hires". Don't know how to post the link but was wondering if anyone else has heard about this. I'm loving Coach Lavin!!

Re: Maven says Coach Lavin visiting Oak Hill today!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
I wouldn't get your hopes up
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Wods317

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
Even if neither of them are seriously interested just the fact that Lavin is going after such top talent this hard is a great sign if the information is true. Im not gettin excited im figuring that we arent adding anyone to the 2010 class and if we do itll b a great surprise.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »
I'm tired of being a bridesmaid.
Lavin is here to take us to the next level.

If he really is going to Oak Hill today, hopefully it isn't
with the idea in mind that this is worth a try.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:29:40 AM by Poison »

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
I don't think he would go out there unless he thought he had a decent shot at landing him.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
If he can convince Selby to come to SJU we could do some serious damage next year. No offense to Lamb, but this team needs a point guard and this kid is the 2nd highest rated pg in his class. If Lavin lands selby it would put the entire BE on notice - SJU is BACK!

sjd8886

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
If he can convince Selby to come to SJU we could do some serious damage next year. No offense to Lamb, but this team needs a point guard and this kid is the 2nd highest rated pg in his class. If Lavin lands selby it would put the entire BE on notice - SJU is BACK!

love to see him land someone for this year...if we arent doing too well next year i would hate to see this turn into the knicks, where we are waiting on 2011 and a stellar recruiting class

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
We need a guard.  We can probably get by with what we have at SG, because both Horne and Hardy can shoot it.  Both have gaps in their respective games. 

I like Boothe more than most.  He played injured a lot last year and didn't put up good stats, but he has a fantastic handle and is tough as nails.  With that said, he can't play more than 20-25 mins a game.  It is clear that Stith is useless under a guy like Lavin that can recruit a top 100 PG with his eyes closed. 

If we get Selby AND Dunlap comes here, I think we are a sweet 16 team.  We REALLY need a guard. 

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
I hope people aren't getting any of their hopes up on Selby.
Everything I've heard is about Selby to Kansas (unless someone bids higher ;) )
Shaquille Stokes was the only one who played well today (21 points) for the Gauchos in a loss to Boo Williams. Sophomore Justin Anderson, who is a future McDonald's All-American dunk champion, led the way for Boo. No sign of Mo Hicks

Apparently, Coach Smith has been hearing the same thing.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/apr/10/ohio-states-turner-takes-wooden-honor-over-collins/

Lamb update

Kentucky and Kansas appear to be co-leaders for Doron Lamb, a 6-foot-4 senior guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told kentucky.rivals.com.

“He’s kind of torn between the two of them,” Smith told the Web site. “West Virginia is getting there and working hard, but they started a little later (January).

“UConn is trying, Arizona has faded, and Oklahoma is out. I think he kind of favors Kentucky and Kansas right now. In what order? It kind of depends on what day he wakes up and what side of the bed he gets out of. Both look appealing to him, top-five programs in the country,” Smith told the Web site.

Coaches from KU, UK and West Virginia all visited Lamb on Thursday. New St. John’s coach Steve Lavin was due in on Friday.

“If he goes to West Virginia or UConn, his parents could go to a lot more games. But he seems to really like Kentucky and Kansas,” Smith said.

Lamb, who is Rivals.com’s No. 21-ranked player, has said he will announce his choice on TV on April 17 at the Jordan Brand Classic in New York.

Selby a strong KU lean?

Oak Hill Academy coach Smith told Kentucky.rivals.com that word on the street is KU will sign Josh Selby in recruiting, while Kentucky will ink Brandon Knight.

Selby, 6-2 from Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High, is currently Rivals.com’s No. 4-rated player. Knight, 6-3 from Pine Crest High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is No. 1. There’s talk Selby will wind up No. 1 overall in Rivals’ final rankings of prep players.

“Everybody thinks Selby is going to Kansas and Knight is going to Kentucky, and I think Doron thinks that, too, from talking to him,” Smith said. “So it’s common knowledge that that’s what everyone thinks they’re going to do. Of course, someone could pull a fast one, I guess.”

KU’s coaches paid a visit to Selby’s school Friday. He will choose either KU, Kentucky, UConn, Arizona or Tennessee at halftime of the Brand Classic.

mkras99

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
Would Mo normally be at the Boo?

I hope people aren't getting any of their hopes up on Selby.
Everything I've heard is about Selby to Kansas (unless someone bids higher ;) )
Shaquille Stokes was the only one who played well today (21 points) for the Gauchos in a loss to Boo Williams. Sophomore Justin Anderson, who is a future McDonald's All-American dunk champion, led the way for Boo. No sign of Mo Hicks

Apparently, Coach Smith has been hearing the same thing.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/apr/10/ohio-states-turner-takes-wooden-honor-over-collins/

Lamb update

Kentucky and Kansas appear to be co-leaders for Doron Lamb, a 6-foot-4 senior guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told kentucky.rivals.com.

“He’s kind of torn between the two of them,” Smith told the Web site. “West Virginia is getting there and working hard, but they started a little later (January).

“UConn is trying, Arizona has faded, and Oklahoma is out. I think he kind of favors Kentucky and Kansas right now. In what order? It kind of depends on what day he wakes up and what side of the bed he gets out of. Both look appealing to him, top-five programs in the country,” Smith told the Web site.

Coaches from KU, UK and West Virginia all visited Lamb on Thursday. New St. John’s coach Steve Lavin was due in on Friday.

“If he goes to West Virginia or UConn, his parents could go to a lot more games. But he seems to really like Kentucky and Kansas,” Smith said.

Lamb, who is Rivals.com’s No. 21-ranked player, has said he will announce his choice on TV on April 17 at the Jordan Brand Classic in New York.

Selby a strong KU lean?

Oak Hill Academy coach Smith told Kentucky.rivals.com that word on the street is KU will sign Josh Selby in recruiting, while Kentucky will ink Brandon Knight.

Selby, 6-2 from Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High, is currently Rivals.com’s No. 4-rated player. Knight, 6-3 from Pine Crest High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is No. 1. There’s talk Selby will wind up No. 1 overall in Rivals’ final rankings of prep players.

“Everybody thinks Selby is going to Kansas and Knight is going to Kentucky, and I think Doron thinks that, too, from talking to him,” Smith said. “So it’s common knowledge that that’s what everyone thinks they’re going to do. Of course, someone could pull a fast one, I guess.”

KU’s coaches paid a visit to Selby’s school Friday. He will choose either KU, Kentucky, UConn, Arizona or Tennessee at halftime of the Brand Classic.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »
Uk is going to suck next year.  That is a selling point for Lav.  They lose all five starters to the draft plus Orton.  That represents like 95% of their scoring. 

St. John's won 17 games and returns everyone.  We NEED a guard.  Lav could promise the starting spot.  We'll be better than Kentucky  next year IMO no matter who they reload with.  Look at UNC this year for a team that lost everyone and replaced it with a great recruiting class.  Ther are no John Walls in this class. 

Also for Lamb, what SG's has Cal put in the league?  He has take the two sure-fire first pick PG's and has not won with tem.  I know Cal had Camby, Wall, Evans, and now Wall and Bledsoe, but what SG's has he put in the league?  I guess Douglas-Roberts, as a SF is close, but he's also 6'7 and Lamb is 6'3. 

Lavin can claim Baron Davis who is a hybrid that played a lot of SG next to Earl Watson in UCLA, Kapono a true SG (although 6'7) and guard/forwards like Barnes and Ariza who are 6'6.  He was also the head coach for such NBA guards as Toby Bailey and Cedric Bozeman,

It can also be said that Lamb's path to the NBA will wrest almost solely on his ability to play some pg.  6'3/6'4 SG's don't really make it all that frequently in the NBA if they can't at least handle the ball from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:05:07 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 10:48:45 PM »
 dude kentucky will be very good next season...they are gonna get cj leslie a one and done...brandon knight one and done...they are gonna be loaded..he is selling the nba...and calipari does not have a salary cap...

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »
dude kentucky will be very good next season...they are gonna get cj leslie a one and done...brandon knight one and done...they are gonna be loaded..he is selling the nba...and calipari does not have a salary cap...

Kentucky will be okay a season from now.  They probably will land Knight, Leslie and possibly, Lamb.  But, they'll be extremely young again and not as talented, as the squad that just stampeded to the NBA. 

Maybe, Lamb takes a look at all of this and decides he can still end up in the NBA while playing for St. John's.  Not to mention, possibly a better team in the Johnnies.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 11:27:37 PM »
if we get one of them great but it would be just as great to establish a relationship with that powerhouse

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 12:57:39 AM »

I don't know if you are "southernjohnny" or not, but if you are we had the same discussion about UNC.  You said they would be better than the championship team!!! Freshman don't usually win no matter how highly ranked they are. 

kob24

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 01:38:54 AM »
marillac the fact that they are putting the whole starting 5 in the draft is the selling point. who is gonna say no to that

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »

I don't know if you are "southernjohnny" or not, but if you are we had the same discussion about UNC.  You said they would be better than the championship team!!! Freshman don't usually win no matter how highly ranked they are.

i didnt say kentucky would be great I said they would be very good...they were very good this year with 3 freshmen starting..They are gonna end up with 3 studs this year as well..patrick patterson has yet to declare...so they may get him back...