BREAKING NEWS- Mike Dunlap will join Steve Lavin at St. John's (Oops)

• 28 replies

mkras99

Re: BREAKING NEWS- Mike Dunlap will join Steve Lavin at St. John's
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »
Coach Lavin made it clear last night that Dunlap is waiting to see if he has any chance at the Oregon job and if he doesn't get it (which I think everyone expects to be the case), Dunlap will end up at St. John's.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 03:14:41 PM »
Coach Lavin made it clear last night that Dunlap is waiting to see if he has any chance at the Oregon job and if he doesn't get it (which I think everyone expects to be the case), Dunlap will end up at St. John's.

I can't imagine he would be any more than a secondary consideration with the money they have to invest.  They want someone who has run the show with proven results. 

That line of thinking is why I think Dunlap would be at STJ for a long time.  All the NYC school are adding coaches now and few big schools are willing to take a guy that hasn't bee a succesful head coach at some D-1 program.

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »
So I got a bad feed on the news on this one. I'm sorry guys to have gotten your hopes up. I'll print retraction shortly. I guess my first strike had to come sometime. I promise to be more diligent in confirming sources in the future to avoid this from happening again. Don't loose the faith in coming to the site for the latest news and happenings.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
so he's definitely not coming??

No he very well could be but to say he is officially here was an error on my part.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 08:08:50 PM »
So I got a bad feed on the news on this one. I'm sorry guys to have gotten your hopes up. I'll print retraction shortly. I guess my first strike had to come sometime. I promise to be more diligent in confirming sources in the future to avoid this from happening again. Don't loose the faith in coming to the site for the latest news and happenings.

It happens to everyone at some point, Dave.  Look at how much egg the NY media has on its collective face now after the coaching search.

I think I speak for almost everyone when I say keep the info flowing.  We can take a few misses here and there.

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
I dare say you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone among us who has not made similar mistakes. What counts is that you own up to it - which you are in the process of doing.

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »
no worries we are just happy for the inside info you provide us. its not like you were completely wrong just a little premature. I for one will still come  here every day to see whats going on with my team
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:25:21 PM by ceothachosen1 »

No he very well could be but to say he is officially here was an error on my part.

No harm no foul Dave. Keep posting any news you get behind the scenes. Your exclusives set this board apart from the others. Keep the info flowing brother.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors?date=20100412#1779

New assistants on the way?

April 12, 2010

8:38 AM ET

Two new assistant coaching rumors are making the rounds at St. John's.

When we first wrote about St. John's search for assistants, we mentioned that incoming coach Steve Lavin would need a great X's and O's coach (which he was missing at UCLA). Well, Lavin may have found that coach.

John Hunt of the Oregonian is reporting UO associate head coach Mike Dunlap has interviewed for a spot on the Johnnies' bench and is close to joining Lavin's staff. This would be a phenomenal hire for Lavin and Co.; not only is Dunlap a brilliant tactician but he has ties to the N.J. area and was the inventor of UO's pressure defense that was implemented this past season.

Dunlap hasn't officially joined Lavin's staff yet; they are still in talks and nothing is finalized. But it would appear the coach could soon be joining his third coaching staff in three years.

The other name that has surfaced over the weekend is that of Maurice Hicks. While his name is not well-known outside the city, Hicks is a powerful name in the local high school ranks. He is reported to be Lavin's choice for Director of Basketball Operations.

Being that the search to find a head coach wasn't easy, though, why should the search for assistants be any less complicated? We will keep you posted with any fresh details.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:06:40 AM by redmen75 »