Marquette Pregame Discussion

• 14 replies
Marquette Pregame Discussion
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
Quick turnaround to the next game. Looking forward to the Brownlee-Crowder matchup...They are a tough team and really tough at home.  We need to force a lot of TOs to have a chance.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

TONYD3

Re: Marquette Pregame Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
Should have won last year. Haven't seen to much of them. Would be a great win.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
manbearpig hopes we can get revenge after those 2 games last year. dwight hardy n brownlee will be the key.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »
We don't want to get into a three point shooting contest w them.
Our frontcourt needs to be ready, and we need to play smart inside.

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »
Lat year they only played 6/7 guys. Is depth still a problem for them?

kjd01067

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »
A couple of stats from last years games against Marquette:

1st game we lost 63-61 @ Home, DJ 20pts, Hardy 12pts, Mase 8pts (Hardy 26mins, Brownlee 15mins)

2nd time we lost 57-55 Away, DJ 12pts, Evans 12pts, Horne 10pts (Hardy DNP, Brownlee 18 mins)

redslope

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
not only last year but the lads have not beaten MU in their first 3 years--time for payback and a FULL hardy/brownlee to lead the charge

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »
We've never beaten Marquette since they entered the Big East. And we lost to them in 2004 Coaches v. Cancer at MSG before that. I'm sick of losing to them.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
Hey gents - MU fan here.   

To answer the one question I see, MU has been playing about 7-9 deep this year: Crowder, Otule, DJO, Blue, Buycks, Cadougan, and Butler are the regulars, but I'd expect appearances from Fulce and Gardner too.  Garner is a big (280#) frosh that has a nice shooting touch, but hasn't played great on defense. 

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of your guys play this year, but I have been following the results -and looks like your guys are playing well together.  Also, BTW, thanks for knocking of the dookies, something we failed at earlier in the year. 

Obviously this game is big for both teams NCAA resumes, looking forward to the matchup. 

Do you guys still do the Logo bet? 

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
It would be an excellent win and would allow us to sleep easier but it will be really tough.  That is a really tough place to play so I'm not expecting much, but this team has taught me to expect the unexpected.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »
Hey gents - MU fan here.   

To answer the one question I see, MU has been playing about 7-9 deep this year: Crowder, Otule, DJO, Blue, Buycks, Cadougan, and Butler are the regulars, but I'd expect appearances from Fulce and Gardner too.  Garner is a big (280#) frosh that has a nice shooting touch, but hasn't played great on defense. 

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of your guys play this year, but I have been following the results -and looks like your guys are playing well together.  Also, BTW, thanks for knocking of the dookies, something we failed at earlier in the year. 

Obviously this game is big for both teams NCAA resumes, looking forward to the matchup. 

Do you guys still do the Logo bet? 

I must say I've been very impressed with Buzz Williams.  I thought he has done a great job at Marquette.  When he came on board with all those great seniors I was really suspect of his coaching ability.  Everytime I see them play I immediately think they are a well coached and well prepared team.  Good luck after tomorrow!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:16:32 PM »
Yea banner bet is on!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
I must say I've been very impressed with Buzz Williams.  I thought he has done a great job at Marquette.  When he came on board with all those great seniors I was really suspect of his coaching ability.  Everytime I see them play I immediately think they are a well coached and well prepared team.  Good luck after tomorrow!

Yeah - most are happy with Buzz so far - he has a quirky but likable personality, seems to be honest when he recruits kids, recruits kids that work hard and represent MU well, and in general has the team playing well.

As you've seen on our board, there are some (very few) who believe he's not a good enough game coach.  There's certainly some head scratching with some in-game decisions, but he's getting better (as far as I can tell).  It's been a rough season for us in terms of schedule where we could never get a winning "streak" going.  I think that's been most of the frustration - but something that's going to happen in the BE unless you're one of the best.

Likewise, I'm glad Lavin's off to a good start.  I'm sure you're watching him like a hawk with all the new recruits you're bringing in, but it appears he's learned a lot in his previous failure, and TV career.

Yea banner bet is on!

Yup, I'm just hoping I don't have to figure out how to fit all those skyscrapers into our header :)

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
Marq 77
SJU   71

I think Crowder and Butler will be tough on us

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
Nice game guys - obviously wish we would have come through.  But you deserved it tonight.

Enjoy the extra publicity :)
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?board=2.0