Golden Eagle Opportunity [Calm Before the Storm]

• 9 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Golden Eagle Opportunity [Calm Before the Storm]
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:54:42 AM »
the players have taken beatings from every team in the conference over the last 4 years, and this is a year to mete out some payback. Along with payback, the Red Storm should be dissatisfied with how they have played on the road; they could be much better, but have disturbing lulls and offensive issues to work out.  Things look rosy now, but the Johnnies need to keep improving into a dangerous team.

With that in mind, did you know that St. John’s hasn’t beaten the Marquette Golden Eagles since 1966, when former St. John’s player and Marquette coaching legend Al McGuire was leading the then-Warriors (Lou Carnesecca was leading the then-Redmen in one of his first seasons)?

The Golden Eagles have put an excellent product on the court, and have beaten St. John’s in blowouts and in close games, at home, and away. The Golden Eagles’ defense is questionable. But despite their defensive deficiencies, they can put up points. And with St. John’s offensive and defensive deficiencies… this game could be a blowout instead of another gritty road win. Marquette isn’t as sloppy or discombobulated as the Cincinnati Bearcats.

The Red Storm have get better and more consistent if they want to make a run into the postseason. Marquette is one of the teams’ best chances to show how they have improved. Can the Johnnies gain respect with another road win?

Read more.

Predictions?

Wods317

Re: Golden Eagle Opportunity [Calm Before the Storm]
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »
I think we lose this one unfortunately. Marquette is a solid team and more talented than Cincinnati. I think we will keep it close for a while but they will pull it out down the stretch. Marquette needs this game badly, I hope our guys don't take their foot off the pedal just because we had two big wins back to back. Every win is big and we still have work to do and I am sure Lavin is hammering that into their heads. MU 72 SJU 64.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »
Marquette is cheesed off about the G'town game.

MQ Warriors - 83
SJU Redmans- 68

tims19

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
i think we might pull this off, because this team can beat any team in the country,.... but mann they can we loose to any of them too... really depends who shows up, i want dj back we need him if brownlees lost it with his finger injury

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »
It is going to be tough...

Marquette- 74
St. John's-68

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
Madison, WI                   - 78
Madison Square Garden - 61

Poison

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »
Middle of nowhere-63
Center of everything-67

Our losing streak ends tonight.

redslope

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
going against the chalk as lads have something to prove versus those they have not beaten.   last year 2 close games without Hardy (totally missed second game) and Brownlee having major roles.    so while same virtually same team sans Mason, i look for improvement as evidenced by coaching being worth at least a 4 point improvement.   ALSO it is about time (wow Peter didn't know last victory was 1966)   

Al's team--60
Al's school--65

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »
My gut feeling is we have a letdown tonight.  Marquette is home and the more desperate team

STJ:   66
Marquette: 73

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
I think Crowder continues his minislump...not getting many shots lately.  Unfortunately we still come up short.  I think Odom goes off

Marquette: 77
STJ: 71
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!