Top of the Heap [Calm Before the Storm]

• 9 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Top of the Heap [Calm Before the Storm]
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »
What do Georgetown, Duke, Notre Dame, and Connecticut all have in common?

Come on. You know this.

Each team came into Madison Square Garden a top-10 team, expecting a win against the plucky seniors of St. John’s.

And each left Madison Square Garden with the sounds of the home fans in their ears, avoiding possible court-stormings, and with an L on their record.

But you probably knew that.

Pittsburgh comes to New York City at 24-2, with a 12-1 conference record in the Big East, looking to make it 13. This will be the 6th time the Panthers have played in Madison Square Garden in the past 2 years. Besides a home game against St. John’s last year and a loss in the Big East tournament, they played Indiana in the Garden in the Jimmy V classic last year and defeated Texas and Maryland in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament. The Panthers also have a 6-0 record in true road games.

The Panthers won’t be fazed by the Garden. They are the top of the Big East heap, and they love playing in New York. Can St. John’s whip out some giant-killing magic and get their best road win to date?

read more.

Predictions?

Poison

Re: Top of the Heap [Calm Before the Storm]
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »
Malik Sealy 68
Brian Shorter 65

redslope

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
jamie is a girls name----62
steve is a man's name-----71

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »
Pitt-72
St. John's- 71

Wanamaker hits a last second three to break our hearts.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
DJ Kennedy -  59
DeJuan Blair - 56

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
You guys really think St. John's can win this one?

redslope

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »
You guys really think St. John's can win this one?

as Sarah would say--"you betcha".  Pitt is basically the same team as last year without Dixon.  We lost to them by seven in the Garden in late February at noon on a Saturday in a virtual cemetary.  it was quiet there and i was among 6,900 mourners who were torn between the passing of SJU b-ball as we knew it and wishing Norm a goodbye.

We have lost Mason but we have replaced him by Brownlee who got virtually no play in the Garden last year.  We have a full time Hardy.  those two are worth 5 to 10 points.  Our coaching is definitely worth 4-5 point change.  Ohter factors include DJ never having beating his hometown team; the crowd will be in the Garden to support our lads (us diehards are really up for this game and the unfaithful are coming out of the woodwork--i expect 13-15K) and that should help, we have a contoled offense that will not take 3 pointer after 3 pointer and lastly, our full court press will cause turnovers.  they like a slow game and we will dictate tempo to make them uncomfortable.  while I have it close, I would not be surprised if it turns into another Uconn.  If the B-Gee (Gibbs) is not up to 100% it will be trouble for them. 

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »
"St. John’s needs to impose chaos (without getting out of control)."

That says it all Pete! We play better when we are all over the court and get the ball up the court quickly and get shots up. We're going to need the same production from Burrell and Evans to get thie W

I think this game goes into overtime.

St Johns 81
Pitt         79

Wods317

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »
We can beat Pitt but I don't think we will. Pitt plays a very tough style and I think they are a tough matchup for us. We have beat a lot of good teams this year especially at MSG but I just think Pitt is going to be very tough to beat. I think they will be very poised and not turn the ball over and their ability on the boards will hurt us. I think we keep it close but I think Pitt wins solidly. Pitt 74 SJU67.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
Lavin might have to use Coker on McGhee for a few mins to keep Burrell and Evans out of foul trouble