Got Dunlap?

• 13 replies
Got Dunlap?
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »
Any news regarding Mike Dunlap?

Has he received a head job?

If not, is he a candidate for any head coach openings?

Thanks.

Re: Got Dunlap?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:02:42 PM »
It appears the likely possible destinations for Coach Dunlap have chosen other candidates thus Coach Dunlap should be back on the sideline for SJU next year.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
No news is good news.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »
Has any St.John's Assistant Coach departed from Coach Lavin's staff since the season ended?

Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »
No one has. Also please refrain from enlarging your font size when posting.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
If we've got Dunlap we've got a cerebral gold mine.

Having him here to initiate our celebrated recruiting class into the realities of D1 basketball, exorcise bad habits and instill necessary disciplines will be the first step towards making us a force to be reckoned with.

Dunlap's influence here and now will be felt over the next few years.

Beyond that having all of these guys starting their college career at the same time will engender a special brand of camraderie amongst them.

With what I've seen from our new Johnnies and what I know about the staff I don't think it's that much of a stretch to see us dancing for the next few years - maybe starting in 2012.

pk

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 03:01:04 AM »
You answered it. I was really hoping he'd stay put, at least to be able to work with the frosh coming in. It would be the most beneficial of situations. At least another year or two in Queens would be great. Ironically, if he does as well with these kids as many of us think he will, he probably will get offers that he can't/won't pass up. I'll take that chance because great things would happen for us before that.  :)

PS - Not to take away anything from Steve and the other coaches, it's just that Dunlap's involvement is gold...to quote you.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »
Pure gold

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »
Dunlap doesn't seem to be going anywhere at least this season, and the winner in this is SJU's freshman class.  Their development will be aided a ton by having Dunlap around at least this next season.  I hope Mike Dunlap finds what he is looking for, but not for a few years... ;)

SJUFAN

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »

Although the incoming class will benefit from Dunlap staying, I believe Lavin and staff will benefit most. I am sure another year or two of Dunlap and watching his teaching methods and the way he runs practice will be a valuable learing lesson for Lavin and staff going forward after Dunlap eventually leaves.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:19:39 PM by STJFAN »

pk

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 01:39:43 AM »
True. Lavin wasn't considered a great in-game coach in Westwood (I still know Bruin faithfull that refuse to grow up and let their hostility towards him go), but I think Lavin improved greatly (with a mediocre team and one true star (Dwight) compared with the studs he was recruiting a decade ago), and the other coaches will also benefit. And most importantly the players. And now bringing in GG to round things out. When was the last time a Johnnie fan was this excited about the team in late April!  :D  Oh that's right. Norm had recently been canned.  ::) My bad!

crgreen

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
True. Lavin wasn't considered a great in-game coach in Westwood (I still know Bruin faithfull that refuse to grow up and let their hostility towards him go), but I think Lavin improved greatly (with a mediocre team and one true star (Dwight) compared with the studs he was recruiting a decade ago), and the other coaches will also benefit. And most importantly the players. And now bringing in GG to round things out. When was the last time a Johnnie fan was this excited about the team in late April!  :D  Oh that's right. Norm had recently been canned.  ::) My bad!

As important is Dunlap is to the future of the newcomers, in terms of the development of the Coach and Staff,  it's equally or more important that Gene Keady contribute another year as team advisor. Has Gene offically re-upped for the 2012 season?   I mean, as good as he was, Alan Shore's  professional accumen DID benefit from those "post-game" Scotch and Cigar balcony sessions with DennyCrane!

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
I think Keady's biggest influence is really as Lavin's friend and confidant.  I know he certainly helps a bit for X's and O's and practices, but I really feel that he's Lavin's buddy who is doing this for his love of the game but more so as Lavin's mentor and friend.  It's quite a story how Lavin has befriended Keady and they are building something here at St. John's.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »
I think Keady's biggest influence is really as Lavin's friend and confidant.  I know he certainly helps a bit for X's and O's and practices, but I really feel that he's Lavin's buddy who is doing this for his love of the game but more so as Lavin's mentor and friend.  It's quite a story how Lavin has befriended Keady and they are building something here at St. John's.

We've already seen some of the interviews from the past season, but I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN does a longer piece on Coach Lavs and Keady's relationship - it's a special one...