Paul Hewitt's Recruiting

• 14 replies

Randomhero423

Paul Hewitt's Recruiting
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:58:22 PM »
If Hewitt does come to STJ.  Do you think he'll get us one of the top 3 NYC players each year?  He's always recruited atleast 1 5 star guy at GT basically.  And he's already on the recruiting trails with Doron Lamb (my favorite player I've seen so far), Taran Buie, Devon Collier, Sherrod Wright.   I'm assuming when he comes to STJ he'll try to keep the kids local and go hard for Lance (who has been disappointing past two games.), Parrom, Omari, and Scott. 

Do you think he'll be able to get us one of the people I've mentioned and really improve our talent year in and year out?  I think he will but I'm not 100% on the bandwagon.

Re: Paul Hewitt's Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:06:12 AM »
All good questions.  I don't know the answers. 

What I do know is that while Hewitt isn't my first choice, he's a hell of a lot better than what we have now.  That being said, I've heard all the rumors, but I'll believe it when I see it.  Hearing that Nike is behind it (at least in part) is very surprising.  Perhaps that's the reason why I'm inclined not to believe the speculation.

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:08:16 AM »
there's no question hewitt's a MAJOR upgrade right now.  but he's in my 4-6 range of guys i want.

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:23:01 AM »
and also if he does come here.  will we be able to get the PG he got to commit to g-tech iman shumpert?  him + ebanks would be HUGE!!!! 

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:32:36 AM »
Think y'all speculatin a lil too much.
Nuthin wrong, but they is a lotta steps gotta happen 'fore that scenerio play itself out, if it ever do.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
there's no question hewitt's a MAJOR upgrade right now.  but he's in my 4-6 range of guys i want.

Who are the other 5 guys you want..?

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »
After sitting through Saturday's game I don't care who replaces the guy standing on the sidelines, Paul Hewitt, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon or Rupaul. Anyone would be better than Norm!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:40:54 AM by we are sju »

Randomhero423

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »

Who are the other 5 guys you want..?

callpari, pitino, jay wright, van gundy.  all are complete long shots though.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »
If Hewitt does come to STJ.  Do you think he'll get us one of the top 3 NYC players each year?  He's always recruited atleast 1 5 star guy at GT basically.  And he's already on the recruiting trails with Doron Lamb (my favorite player I've seen so far), Taran Buie, Devon Collier, Sherrod Wright.   I'm assuming when he comes to STJ he'll try to keep the kids local and go hard for Lance (who has been disappointing past two games.), Parrom, Omari, and Scott. 

Do you think he'll be able to get us one of the people I've mentioned and really improve our talent year in and year out?  I think he will but I'm not 100% on the bandwagon.

The truth is, if he was in the Big East, his Georgia Tech team would be on the bubble for a tourney bid.
This year, the ACC is deeper than it has been in years. Even Miami and Clemson are good. At the same time. Very rare.
He's a great recruiter, but sometimes kids leave, and sometimes too many kids leave at the same time.

Better to have had them for a year, than not at all.

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »
we gotta remeber he lost two freshman last year who were both picked in the lotto (young and that LA pg who's now w/ memphis).  so if he had his players or 1/2 he'd be in fine shape.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:59:49 PM »
we gotta remeber he lost two freshman last year who were both picked in the lotto (young and that LA pg who's now w/ memphis).  so if he had his players or 1/2 he'd be in fine shape.

No doubt. Differnt team with them playas.

Thing is as coach he shoulda know they was a gamble to go pro when he was recruiting 'em. 

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:28:10 PM »
Imagine St. John's having two guys (underclassmen!) get drafted in the same year?  What a "problem" to have.

kob24

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »
norm is staying another year, but yeah hewitt could get at least 3 of those kids u named probaly 4

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »
norm is staying another year, but yeah hewitt could get at least 3 of those kids u named probaly 4

4 for 4 a lil overly optimistic, dont ya think?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »
Imagine St. John's having two guys (underclassmen!) get drafted in the same year?  What a "problem" to have.
Yeah, but a coach has to have guys behind who can handle the load/ a plan for when the top players leave early-- like UCLA with farmar leaving, afflalo leaving-- now collison and roll (when he was on the roster) are handling the scoring in the backcourt.

But I'd love to see that problem too.