Tarik Turner to SNY

• 52 replies
Re: Tarik Turner to SNY
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
Congratulations Tarik!
You deserve it. He did a real good job. He was better every year.
Guess you mean as a ST J color commentator not as a player. ::)

Poison

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 09:07:22 AM »
His best game as a Johnny came during the Red/White game in 94.

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
Good get for Tarik.

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 09:11:09 AM »
His best game as a Johnny came during the Red/White game in 94.

He beat the Iverson /Page Gtown team at the Garden with two clutch free throws. And in response to your earlier post, Geno was the worst player I have seen since I have been following the program.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
Turner did nothing to help St.John's win. How can you say that he helped us beat Georgetown let alone anyone. That is batsh*t insane.

Lawence was pretty bad, but the kid had no options around him. At least he had the guts to try. Turner sh*t his pants his for 4 years here. If you're a point guard, and Felipe Lopez, Zendon Hamilton, James Scott, Roshawn McCloud, Ty Grant and Charles Minlend aren't enough to make you least decent, you don't belong playing D1 ball.

Lawrence was a mid major player. He should played at Manhattan. Turner should have played at a D3 school.

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
Turner did nothing to help St.John's win. How can you say that he helped us beat Georgetown let alone anyone. That is batsh*t insane.

Lawence was pretty bad, but the kid had no options around him. At least he had the guts to try. Turner sh*t his pants his for 4 years here. If you're a point guard, and Felipe Lopez, Zendon Hamilton, James Scott, Roshawn McCloud, Ty Grant and Charles Minlend aren't enough to make you least decent, you don't belong playing D1 ball.

Lawrence was a mid major player. He should played at Manhattan. Turner should have played at a D3 school.

Iverson's last year they played at the Garden the score was tied and Turner hit the two free throws to give us the lead. He hit the free free throws to beat Gtown. Not sure how else you could interpret those chain of events.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:17:02 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
Worst Player really?  I think he was better than about every 9th or 10th man in the history of the program...

Also, Fred Lyson was the worst...

Poison

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
Worst Player really?  I think he was better than about every 9th or 10th man in the history of the program...

I don't agree. Fred Lyson was not the worst. He was a spot up shooter, and a pretty decent passer.
His freshman year he played a significant role in one our best seasons in the last 25 years.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Lyson was only supposed to play 10-15 a game, hit a couple of threes, and then sit down. When he was asked to do more than that, chiefly because guys like Turner were not ready for D1 ball, he struggled. There's no doubt that Lyson shouldn't have been starting, but what does it tell you when you consider that a scrub from LI is starting over a top 100 point guard from Oak Hill?

Was Turner better than every 9th or 10th man in the history of the program? No f'n way. HE was not even the 9th or 10th man on a team that went 7-11 in the BE with multiple NBA players. Yes, Mahoney sucked, but if he had a D1 point guard, like he had with Cain, he'd have at least made the dance.

Poison

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »

Iverson's last year they played at the Garden the score was tied and Turner hit the two free throws to give us the lead. He hit the free free throws to beat Gtown. Not sure how else you could interpret those chain of events.

He hit 2 lucky free throws and you're telling me he contributed? Phil Missere contributed more. Much more.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »

In fairness, Norm is to blame for Geno being the worst player in the history of the school. Were there 9,10, 11th men that Geno was better than> Maybe. But none of those guys were allowed to have the offense revolve around their lack of talent for four very long years.

The bottom line is at worst Tarik Turner had a mediocre career as a basketball player. Who cares this thread was supposed to be about his new job. People taking misguided shots at his playing career on this thread should be ashamed of themselves! 

Poison

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »

In fairness, Norm is to blame for Geno being the worst player in the history of the school. Were there 9,10, 11th men that Geno was better than> Maybe. But none of those guys were allowed to have the offense revolve around their lack of talent for four very long years.

The bottom line is at worst Tarik Turner had a mediocre career as a basketball player. Who cares this thread was supposed to be about his new job. People taking misguided shots at his playing career on this thread should be ashamed of themselves! 

There were maybe 5 or 6 games that Turner played in where he performed like a d1 player.
That is not mediocre. That's awful.

Why should I be ashamed of myself because I'm taking shots at his career? Am I supposed to
be impressed with his announcing ability? I'm happy that a nice guy got a job. Is he good at it? Hell no.

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »
Congratulations Tarik!
You deserve it. He did a real good job. He was better every year.
Guess you mean as a ST J color commentator not as a player. ::)
Ha-Ha! Yes you are right!

LJSA

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »

Fred had a really, really bad back that ruined his career.