Kobe Bryant on Campus!

• 32 replies
Re: Kobe Bryant on Campus!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »
Guys playing pick up at UCLA is pretty norm. I think this was the message that Mark Fratto was trying to convey through the student news paper that this will be the norm because St. John's fans (of recent) aren't as used to this as other programs who are top 10 wins all time like St. John's.

However no matter how norm it may be for pro's, celebs, etc to be on campus their interaction with a potential student athlete could put the school at risk for a violation. I know St. John's is very conscience almost to an extreme about this kind of stuff (kudos to Norm Roberts for that seriously he did an awesome job of turning that around with academic support/compliance).

So it's better to be on the cautious side than to have a tweet blow up your spot for a violation.

Agreed and all of this is ridiculous because it is a moot point anyway, Kyle is not coming until next week.

I just honestly don't believe it is.  Remember how excited many of us were that Earl Watson was on campus working out.  And again the UCLA thing.  I mean Jeff Borzello writes a piece saying Coach K might have commited a secondary violation when he called a recruit during a period he is not allowed to and it is on every sports web page.  Various bloggers talk openly about Kyle "running" with various NBA players on UCLA campus and no one makes a big deal about it?  Again hard to believe assuming it is a violation.

And let's take Duke as an example.  I am sure ex Duke players come back to Durham and work out all the time, Laettner, Brand, Redick etc., and on weekends that recruits visit.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »

Well, I was TRYING not to be verbose...

Kobe was a lock for Duke and Coach K had he elected to go to college.   Any number of stories about that as they partnered for the gold last year.

Nah.
Word was he was gonna join pops at LaSalle.

Really choz?  That is a interesting scoop because I always thought the same way cr did.

The reason is, do you remember how close Coach K was to taking the Laker job after the 2004 season when Phil Jackson was not retained and Shaq was traded to Miami?  That was all orchestrated by Kobe.  It is also well known Kobe wanted Coach K to replace Jackson.  It was rumored that if Kobe had gone to college he was ticketed for Duke and that he always wanted to play for K.

Again all second hand but that is what the scuttlebutt was.

SJUFAN

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »
Why was he there?

Yes I believe that point has been over sighted. Does anyone know the purpose of his visit? It could be just another reason top recruits will eventually call STJ home.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
Kobe was visiting Rico Hines, hes been there a few times. And will be back next week

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
Cue 10,000 word post from Crgreen in 3, 2, 1...

Kobe was picking up an NBA paycheck before Steve Lavin became a head coach.    Hard to believe, but Kobe was drafted by Charlotte all the way back on June 26, 1996.  Traded to the Lakers, he signed his first contract in July that year.   Since he didnt't turn 18 till August 23, 1996, his folks had to cosign!.   

Steve Lavin didn't become the UCLA interim Head Coach until that  November 6th...

I would think that Harrick was recruiting Kobe and thus Lavin as well...Was it a foregone conclusion that Kobe was going pro?  Were colleges recruiting him anyway?

Kobe was a lock for Duke and Coach K had he elected to go to college.   Any number of stories about that as they partnered for the gold last year.

As for Steve's recruting Kobe.  Hard to believe, but Steve wasn't really one of the recruiting assistants for the Bruins.   He might have been marginally involved, but Lornzo Romar and Mark Gottfried were the lead Harrick recruiting assistants, and when they left in '96, Michael Holton became Harrick's lead recruiting assistant.   Funny, as remarkable as he proved to be at it, had he BEEN lead recruiter, Steve might still be an assistant.  I don't believe Lavin as lead recruiting assistant would have allowed Harrick to make the mistake at the recruiting dinner for the Collins twins that eventually got Harrick fired.   But that's just personal opinion.

Always strikes me as funny how soon Bruin fans forgot.   Steve wasn't known as a recruiter - he was an Xs and Os coach for Harrick - in fact he was Harricks defensive coach, FULLY credited by Jim for developing and implementing the multiple switching defense the team employed in 1995 to win the National Championship.   THAT'S the criteria that got Steve named interim Head Coach when Harrick was replaced.

Wow, that is really interesting crgreen...I can not believe that Lavin wasn't a big time recruiting assistant for Harrick...To not use Lavin in a role that seems so natural to him seems incredible to me...Although Romar was known as a great recruiter, I still would have thought that Lavin was right there recruiting alongside him

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
Kobe was visiting Rico Hines, hes been there a few times. And will be back next week
Really ? Damn that's a good thing to tell recruits

crgreen

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
"Wow, that is really interesting crgreen...I can not believe that Lavin wasn't a big time recruiting assistant for Harrick...To not use Lavin in a role that seems so natural to him seems incredible to me...Although Romar was known as a great recruiter, I still would have thought that Lavin was right there recruiting alongside him"

Didn't mean to sound like he didn't recruit, just that he was the third tier recruiter among the assistants behind Romar and Gottfried.  Again, gotta remember that Steve had only been a full time UCLA assistant for 2 years when he was named interim Head Coach - previous to those 2 years he wasn't allowed by NCAA rules to recruit....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:55:02 PM by crgreen »

LJSA

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »

He's also checking out property in the Hamptons, according to my sister's gossipy co-workers. (She works in East Hampton.)

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »
Cue 10,000 word post from Crgreen in 3, 2, 1...

Kobe was picking up an NBA paycheck before Steve Lavin became a head coach.    Hard to believe, but Kobe was drafted by Charlotte all the way back on June 26, 1996.  Traded to the Lakers, he signed his first contract in July that year.   Since he didnt't turn 18 till August 23, 1996, his folks had to cosign!.   

Steve Lavin didn't become the UCLA interim Head Coach until that  November 6th...

I would think that Harrick was recruiting Kobe and thus Lavin as well...Was it a foregone conclusion that Kobe was going pro?  Were colleges recruiting him anyway?

As for Steve's recruting Kobe.  Hard to believe, but Steve wasn't really one of the recruiting assistants for the Bruins.   He might have been marginally involved, but Lornzo Romar and Mark Gottfried were the lead Harrick recruiting assistants, and when they left in '96, Michael Holton became Harrick's lead recruiting assistant.   Funny, as remarkable as he proved to be at it, had he BEEN lead recruiter, Steve might still be an assistant.  I don't believe Lavin as lead recruiting assistant would have allowed Harrick to make the mistake at the recruiting dinner for the Collins twins that eventually got Harrick fired.   But that's just personal opinion.

Always strikes me as funny how soon Bruin fans forgot.   Steve wasn't known as a recruiter - he was an Xs and Os coach for Harrick - in fact he was Harricks defensive coach, FULLY credited by Jim for developing and implementing the multiple switching defense the team employed in 1995 to win the National Championship.   THAT'S the criteria that got Steve named interim Head Coach when Harrick was replaced.

Wow, that is really interesting crgreen...I can not believe that Lavin wasn't a big time recruiting assistant for Harrick...To not use Lavin in a role that seems so natural to him seems incredible to me...Although Romar was known as a great recruiter, I still would have thought that Lavin was right there recruiting alongside him

I think that goes to show you that Lavin isn't just a recruiter. He came into the league known for his X's and O's.

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 02:43:22 AM »
Listen, I happen to know first hand that the NCAA has looked at the Anteaters and found no violations, so we are in the clear here...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/34877/kobe-bryants-presence-felt-at-uc-irvine

Kobe Bryant's presence felt at UC Irvine
Kobe Bryant has in recent years become a regular visitor at UC Irvine.

Because Anteaters assistant Ryan Badrtalei coordinates his workouts, Bryant can sometimes be found on the court, in the pool, on the track, or lifting weights. As a resident of nearby Newport Coast, the Lakers star has become a friend of the program's.

Turning UC Irvine's home floor into a gym of dreams, Bryant also made appearances at open gym sessions last week that allowed some of the Anteaters to experience playing pick-up games with the Black Mamba himself.

"That's probably as good as it gets as a basketball player to be lining up with that guy," UC Irvine coach Russell Turner said. "It's not uncommon for him to be on campus. It was uncommon for him to want to get into pick-up games. They were somewhat in awe, just as I would have been if back then we would have walked in the gym and had Michael Jordan playing."

Turner cannot watch his players in the summer sessions due to NCAA rules, but has spotted Bryant shooting late at night in the gym after hours -- sometimes even during the playoffs.

UC Irvine was 13-19 in Turner’s first season, and the program is still searching for its first NCAA tournament appearance. Having the presence of one of the NBA's best players on campus certainly can't hurt, and Bryant has been happy to help when he can.

Bryant spent about two hours speaking with UC Irvine athletes last September in a question-and-answer session after being invited by men's volleyball coach John Speraw, who met him at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

"He was really funny and open," women's basketball player Raquel Theus said then. "I think the thing I remember the most is his favorite quote 'Rest at the end and not in the middle.' I like that it came from his high school English teacher."

Turner's team posed for pictures with Bryant that night and has also gotten to learn from other NBA players due to the coach’s previous job as a Golden State Warriors assistant. After an Anteaters win last November, they got a visit from Stephen Curry, Andris Biedrins and Reggie Williams, who delivered the message that the NBA dream could be realized for players with mid-major and international backgrounds.

The hope for Turner is that associating UC Irvine with high-level players might help the Anteaters turn the corner, though Turner and the team have had some bad breaks.

Forward Eric Wise would have been the team's returning leading scorer, but decided at the end of the season to transfer. The NCAA upheld its decision to rule top recruit Maxime Chupin ineligible for receiving benefits above the center's actual and necessary expenses from a club team in France. Another center, Adam Folker, is recovering from season-ending hip surgery and has yet to be cleared to play. Guard Brandon Scott was forced to retire after tearing an anterior cruciate ligament for a third time during a San Francisco Pro-Am game.

The Anteaters are left with no seniors and a host of new faces who should get opportunities to play immediately.

"People won't expect much of us, but I'm not going to fall into that thinking," Turner said. "We've talked about that. The things we've got to focus on are getting better every day, and working to build a foundation.

"There's excellence associated with this university across the board, and I have great confidence we’ll get there."

crgreen

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 04:41:34 AM »

Nah.
Word was he was gonna join pops at LaSalle.

Choz, probably discussed long before I got here.   But a Desmond Dekker reference in your sig?  Cool....

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 08:47:49 PM »
A few years back, Kobe stated in an interview that he was all set to commit to Duke when Dean Smith convinced him otherwise. Dean told Kobe told that UNC wasn't even going to bother recruiting him since they knew he was a lottery pick who was going straight to the NBA. The conversation was enough for him to believe he had what it took to straight to the pros.

I am sure the staff is up to date on what the NCAA regulations are (even the more non-sensical ones). Even just the mention of the fact that Kobe was on campus to meet with some members of our staff has to help the chances of landing KA and future recruits.

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
Any word on where he is now? I doubt he still is on campus but it would be great to have him working out tomorrow while Kyle Anderson visits