Al Harrington, and Matt Barnes on campus

• 16 replies

NYCoffey

Al Harrington, and Matt Barnes on campus
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
I saw on the twitter feed that we have them on campus today. anyone know why? Just curious

I was looking around to see what relationship St Johns or Lavin would have with Harrington and found an article that said that we were in his final 2 with Georgia Tech before he made the jump to the NBA.

Re: Al Harrington, and Matt Barnes on campus
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:46:01 PM »
If I remember correctly Al Harrington visited St. John's during Fran's last days. Once Al declared for the NBA Fran was fired.

Al was definitely the missing part of the team that went to the Final 8.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:46:55 PM by Red2395 »

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
If I remember correctly Al Harrington visited St. John's during Fran's last days. Once Al declared for the NBA Fran was fired.

Al was definitely the missing part of the team that went to the Final 8.

Al Harrington = national championship.  Heck, a healthy Tyrone Grant would have too.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
Harrington and Barnes were on the Warriors together a few years ago when Rico was there, so this could be another Rico connection.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »
Harrington and Barnes were on the Warriors together a few years ago when Rico was there, so this could be another Rico connection.

Barnes is Lavin connection to start.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
The NBA is the dream of every SJU recruit. The fact that more and more NBA players are spending time on our campus, makes us relevant in a way even we didn't see coming.

Kyle Anderson will recognize this. And if he doesn't, someone else will.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
The guys are there to train with Rico, I'm sure Barnes caught up with Lavin while there. 

The bigger picture is, as Poison pointed out, plenty of schools get their NBA playin' alums to come back and play pick up games in the summer.  Hang out etc...  The fact that Rico is attracting lots of guys from other schools (or guys that never went to school like Al and Kobe) speaks volumes about this staff's potential for getting kids ready for the NBA.  Heck they're already getting NBA players ready to stay in the league even if there's not evidence yet of them sending a kid from STJ to the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »
The Police were at Seton Hall today, not talking about the creators of hit songs message in a bottle or roxanne either. (this is a joke)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
The guys are there to train with Rico, I'm sure Barnes caught up with Lavin while there. 

The bigger picture is, as Poison pointed out, plenty of schools get their NBA playin' alums to come back and play pick up games in the summer.  Hang out etc...  The fact that Rico is attracting lots of guys from other schools (or guys that never went to school like Al and Kobe) speaks volumes about this staff's potential for getting kids ready for the NBA.  Heck they're already getting NBA players ready to stay in the league even if there's not evidence yet of them sending a kid from STJ to the NBA.

Crgreen will talk about some story where Barnes and Rico got into a big fight.  I recall him saying something about a chair being thrown.  I guess its an overblown story like Baron and his Lavin quotes :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 05:07:26 PM »
The Police were at Seton Hall today, not talking about the creators of hit songs message in a bottle or roxanne either. (this is a joke)

That's a low blow.  Who do you think you are?  Herb Pope?

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »
Hello Kyle.

My name is Rico Hines.

I train the hell outta NBA players that they travel across the country to work out wit me.

Just sayin is all.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 06:17:43 PM »
Wasn't Harrington the recruit for whom Fran got a temporary tattoo as part of his recruiting ploy?

crgreen

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »

Crgreen will talk about some story where Barnes and Rico got into a big fight.  I recall him saying something about a chair being thrown.  I guess its an overblown story like Baron and his Lavin quotes :)

No, it's not overblown.  When they were teammates, they got into a serioius arguement. Rico whacked Matt upside the the head with a metal stool.    He was nearly thrown out of school.   Coach Lavin discussed the situation with Matt and his family, and the end decision was a multi-game suspension for Rico.

However, three years later, when Matt was struggling down in the D-League, he went to Rico, and trained with him for several months.  The improvement was enuf to land him a a callup to the league, where he's remained ever since.  After playing with the Clippers, Kings, Knicks and 76rs, supposedly Rico was instrumental in Matt landing with Golden State in 2007 as a free agent once again working with Rico - where he blossomed from a 3 pt reserve in his Clipper/Knick/76r days  to a 10 point sometime starter (went from less than 10 minutes a game and no starts to 24 minutes a game and 23 starts). 

Ricos training skills have helped net Matt about $10 million so far.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:24:33 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »
Wasn't Harrington the recruit for whom Fran got a temporary tattoo as part of his recruiting ploy?

Yep and if I remember correctly it completely backfired on Fran...It ended up really creeping out Al's uncle how overzealous Fran was in his recruiting of Al...It ended up coming off really desperate and unattractive to some of Al's family

Wods317

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
Harrington was in Carnesecca Arena today working out with Rico and few others. Its no coincidence these guys are coming here to work out. Rico works these guys out the right way and they know it. Think of the names we have had here of late, its truly great to see these guys around building and more importantly around these kids and possible recruits.

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
Hello Kyle.

My name is Rico Hines.

I train the hell outta NBA players that they travel across the country to work out wit me.

Just sayin is all.

Nothing but the truth!

LJSA

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »
I saw Matt Barnes show up for a summer league game in San Francisco a few years ago, and he was ready to brawl with everyone who looked at him funny. He also did nothing but jack threes the entire time. I guess he figured he was less likely to incur a contract-voiding injury fighting one-on-500 than he was taking it to the hole against John Bryant.