St. John’s University’s Freshman Applications Soar to More Than 35,000

• 10 replies
After the basketball debacle...I Just wanted to mention a positive note on our university.....

http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/pr_uni_080212.stj

i'm sure one of those applicants can ball.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:09:57 PM by NYCbuckeye »

is it still free to apply online? If so why not?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Yea, it's still free.

Yea, it's still free.

This is why applications are up, along with the fact that everything can be done online now. I know administration is trumpeting this "success" (and the Torch fell for it hook, line and sinker), but it's a misleading stat. I think a more interesting stat (from the same Torch article) is that only about 20 percent of accepted students actually decide to attend St. John's.

Yea, it's still free.

This is why applications are up, along with the fact that everything can be done online now. I know administration is trumpeting this "success" (and the Torch fell for it hook, line and sinker), but it's a misleading stat. I think a more interesting stat (from the same Torch article) is that only about 20 percent of accepted students actually decide to attend St. John's.
What is the acceptance rate?

Yea, it's still free.

What is the acceptance rate?

59%

Randomhero423

at the school i go to, STJ is the safety school for everybody.  a popular "rumor" (it's true) is that stj accepts everyone from my school.

at the school i go to, STJ is the safety school for everybody.  a popular "rumor" (it's true) is that stj accepts everyone from my school.

you also go to a private high school
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Sure, it's the consummate "safety school".  The reason I went there for undergrad was b/c I was offered (almost) a full ride.  That being said, when the number of applicants is that high, the academic standards are almost sure to go up.  That's how NYU got as popular as they are.  While they don't have the most difficult standards (Stern school not withstanding), it's certainly higher than every other NYC institution with the exception of Columbia.  Reason being is because of their location.  They had a ton of applicants and their standards shot up.  See Boston College and Boston University for two more examples.

Increased applications is definitely a positive for the University.  I'm happy to see it.

It depends on what you major in. If you are business...sju is behind NYU,columbia,fordham, baruch, and even pace....if you are pharmacy your good, if law, your par, and basketball, well, we are also behind nyu, columbia, fordham, baruch, and even pace :)

you also go to a private high school
Which private school is this?