What we learned from CVC

• 65 replies
Re: What we learned from CVC
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »
Gods Gift is going to struggle in the BE with fouls and finishing at the basket. I predict you see a lot of small Nova like lineups when we play in the BE.

Great prediction, way to go out on a limb. Considering St Johns has 1 and a half big men

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
ok i'll bite...

- Nuri - needs to ask Monasch to make copies of the keys to the gym. If he shoots 500 jumpers a day he will be a nightmare. 8-16 from the line from your point guard is unacceptable. he is unquestionably our playmaker and engine, hatten-like craftiness. we are a different team when he's not on the floor. can you imagine if he becomes a threat to shoot (that pump fake won't work for long in the big east)? maybe nitpicking but not quite as good an athlete as i expected.

- Pointer is the prototype for the top of a 1-3-1 defense. he really needs to tighten up his handle because he's going to be leading a lot of fast breaks over the next few years. top candidate for crowd favorite.

- Harkless. all the tools, as mike repole might say "could be any kind". still wondering if he has that nasty streak. impressed with the way he rebounds in traffic which makes me think he does, and we need every one. just wish he was a little more aggressive with the jumper.

- GG, which one is the real one? seemingly became a reliable free throw shooter overnight (any one who was at the first game can attest). right now his only post move is the swim which he got away with against lesser. need 10 and 8 to be a factor

- harrison. starting to pick it up. you just get the feeling he's one of those guys that scores in bunches and you don't know when it's coming. doesn't have the quickness to beat anyone of the dribble right now. he plays as hard as anyone and really gets after it on defense. he's the one you love on your team and hate if he's not (i.e jared dudley). he will lead the big east in techs.

- greene. a pleasant surprise. whoever said it earlier in this thread was right, he has the nicest stroke on the team. has spurts where he is absolutely fearless, needs that confidence all the time, very emotional you can tell he has a switch. keep it on. best handle on the team besides stith (don't laugh).

- stith. the 7th man but i'll tell you where we will need him and its underrated. getting the ball over half court when we get pressed by big east teams. i trust him there for some reason

overall - every one of these kids can play. every one is a threat. we might have 5 guys average double figures for the next 3 years. love the attitude on defense (wish lavin would at least show us a man to man when we're getting bombed like vs arizona - we have the athletes to do it now). problem is every time i get too excited i think about this team with pelle, jakarr and garrett.
You are right-if Nuri takes 500 Jumpers a day he will be a nightmare-because he will miss everyone of them. Sorry couldn't resist-overall I do like Nuri's game but how as a guard playing hoop all your life can you be this bad a shooter? Haven't seen him hit one outside J yet this season. Hope he is in no rush to jump to NBA because if you are a guard with no shot you better be an other worldly athlete with great defensive skills. If he works real hard for 3 yrs and develops a half way decent J then and only then will he even have a shot in NBA. Remember Hill, Hatten and Hardy aren't in NBA although this may have something to do with their last names all starting with an H.

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:52 PM »
i learned it's tough to win against high majors with six players.

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
history repeats itself. This team will  get better just like last years team did.
Just sit back and watch.

ris

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
history repeats itself. This team will  get better just like last years team did.
Just sit back and watch.

Yes. But who was the player of last year team with less improvement from the beginning of the season? A freshman, ironically.

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »
Gods Gift is going to struggle in the BE with fouls and finishing at the basket. I predict you see a lot of small Nova like lineups when we play in the BE.

GG is too soft. I am disappointed with the lack of aggression he's played with. He shies away from contact under the glass way too much.

I think GG is still learning to compete with high skill level bigs, so we should give him more time before anyone passes judgment on his agressiveness (or lack thereof).  Besides, we cannot afford GG to be too agressive if it results in more fouls.   

I too am concerned re: his performance over the lat 2-3 games...lack of aggression, passes up open shots and plays low post defense as if he is afraid that he will foul out....HOWEVER, I agree that I think we need to give him an opportunity to adapt...this is probably the 1st time in his life that he has not be able to simply "out physical" his opponent...He definitely has some skills...Give the coaches a chance and GG an opportunity to shake the cobwebs  after getting punched in the face by another big kid...