Power of the Post

• 15 replies
Power of the Post
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »
You do realize your posts are public. Even if you are blowing smoke it may lead people to believe there is fire. Be careful of what you post and think of possible consequences. People wonder why I closed the forum off to only registered users and this is part of the reason why.

In other news the forum overall has been much better since some posters have been banned from the site. I want to continue making this the best place to find info and discuss St. John's basketball and sometimes people forget it's a privilege to be here. Everyone here will disagree on different manners but be accepting of people's different stances and opinions. Just because someone sees something one way when you see it another doesn't make one person better/worse of a fan.

Some guys love to be sarcastic, others eternal optimists, and some the sky is always falling. Stick to the facts, maybe you can convince them, maybe you might see something a new way, or maybe you'll say I'm not even going there because it's not worth it.

There's no trolls, baiters, whiners, pussys, douche bags here. It's simply St. John's fans. Cue the inspirational music!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

Re: Power of the Post
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
Well said man! For one, I really value this site. Kudos Dave!

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
Just wanna thank Dave for like the millionth time fo providin a space where brothers can speak they mind in peace about the glory and pitfalls of the program we know and luv.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »
, or maybe you'll say I'm not even going there because it's not worth it.

Good advice Dave, especially the part I highlighted above.  Every time on any board I get into a to and fro with someone who is either immovable, incorrigible or obviously just interested in stirring the pot I regret it later.   

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
Damn, I didn't do it...did I? Dave great sight, I first heard of your website on the NY Dailynews website and I have never looked back. My St. John's IQ has gone up 100%. Debates are always interesting and usually informative. Keep up the good work! One thing, is there a way to loose the FB tab?
Cougar O' Malley

Dan

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
Great site, definitely.

However this was the message that was sent by redmen.com during the Norm days, stifling negative opinion on him.  It matters to me less in this instance because Lavin is obviously great for the program.  No one should pretend they have negative inside info, but there's that and constructive criticism.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:49:01 AM »
Great site, definitely.

However this was the message that was sent by redmen.com during the Norm days, stifling negative opinion on him.  It matters to me less in this instance because Lavin is obviously great for the program.  No one should pretend they have negative inside info, but there's that and constructive criticism.

Not really the same what so ever.

There's a difference between having an opinion and spreading a potentially harmful rumor with no basis. If anyone wants to do that, they certainly can, but it just won't be here. I'm all for people having different opinions here too. I welcome all perspectives and want people to feel free to express themselves and engage civilly

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52:08 AM »
Damn, I didn't do it...did I? Dave great sight, I first heard of your website on the NY Dailynews website and I have never looked back. My St. John's IQ has gone up 100%. Debates are always interesting and usually informative. Keep up the good work! One thing, is there a way to loose the FB tab?

Since I put up the FB tab traffic there has gone up. I know it catches me off guard a few times too but I'm used to it. If we get everyone who posts here on it then I'll remove it. :)

Just as you found this site from another website, facebook can be such a powerful tool to spread the word here. I'm perfectly ok if no one else ever came to this site but I do think theres people out there who would love this site and have no idea about it. So I definitely want to be able to reach them.

crgreen

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:37:15 AM »
, or maybe you'll say I'm not even going there because it's not worth it.

Good advice Dave, especially the part I highlighted above.  Every time on any board I get into a to and fro with someone who is either immovable, incorrigible or obviously just interested in stirring the pot I regret it later.

It's a tough decision to respond to that type of  poster.   It really depends on what kind of BS is being put out there.  Sometimes you have to remember that in making a reponse, it isn't ABOUT that original poster - it's about the newbies, or late-comers to the program (like myself, except in all things Lavin), who don't KNOW its BS being posted, and therefore  NEEDS to be addressed.  Facts are facts, and BS needs to be rebutted.

With these kind of discussions, it's sometimes easy to personalize it, and consider the back and forth on an issue to be just a two man conversation (or argument).   It's not - it's a public forum.   Even if you realize both of the participents in the discussion know the facts on which an arguement is based, sometimes you still have to jump in and supply them in context, 'cause there may be tens or hundreds of veiwers who DON'T know and are therefore veiwing the exchange without perspective. 

LJSA

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »

There's no trolls, baiters, whiners, pussys, douche bags here. It's simply St. John's fans. Cue the inspirational music!

I don't know ... ShirunaCheese popped up out of the woodwork today and seemingly managed to be three of those things.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

I don't know ... ShirunaCheese popped up out of the woodwork today and seemingly managed to be three of those things.

Only 3?
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »

Only 3?

Well, he technically didn't whine, and although I have no doubt that he'd be a pussy in real-world situations, it's hard to call him one here.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:49:25 PM »
I think we could call him a cheese head.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »

Since I put up the FB tab traffic there has gone up. I know it catches me off guard a few times too but I'm used to it. If we get everyone who posts here on it then I'll remove it. :)

Just as you found this site from another website, facebook can be such a powerful tool to spread the word here. I'm perfectly ok if no one else ever came to this site but I do think theres people out there who would love this site and have no idea about it. So I definitely want to be able to reach them.

Dave no worries, and honestly the tab is only a real pain when i'm on my cell phone...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »

Dave no worries, and honestly the tab is only a real pain when i'm on my cell phone...

When you're using your cell phone you should check out some of the mobile versions of the site. I believe there is a sticky on it but here is one of the links.

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?wap2

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

Only 3?

Well, he technically didn't whine, and although I have no doubt that he'd be a pussy in real-world situations, it's hard to call him one here.
Cheese played college lacrosse at Cornell and is one tough son of a bitch so I would cross pussy off your list.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:52:34 PM by Celtics11 »