Worst Timeout in the history of basketball

• 29 replies
Re: Worst Timeout in the history of basketball
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »
first off WVU had no timeouts so they would have had to rush down the court....you should have set up the defense in the previous timeout there was nothing to discuss besides that instead you allow huggins to draw something up.

In addition to who ever it was should gotten to the sideline quicker to trap not allowing him to split the defense

draw up a play?  the guy took it full court just like he would've after the made free throw.  Boothe was the one who tried to step up....the WV kid made a nice play but Horne should have been off him more and Boothe took a bad angle to cut him off. 

I don't think the timeout was that big of a deal.

JJ I feel the frustration but is it possible that Huggy drew up the play in the "previous timeout" prior to Malik's ft's...I heard good coaches are always one move ahead

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
not to defend norm....but man hes in a catch 22 situation...if he did NOT call time out and WV found a way to score....the entire board would be all over him for NOT calling a TO!!!!

come on now!!!

Randomhero423

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »
i think the blame would be more on the defense than time out..

kjd01067

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »
i think the blame would be more on the defense than time out..

I think whether he took the timeout or not the blame should be on the defense.  I have given Norm my fair of criticism for his in-game coaching but that play was plain and simple bad defense if you don't believe me go back and watch it again.

Randomhero423

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »
i think it's a mix of both.  the time out let WVU to calm down and huggins to provide them with a play.  but the D was bad, but you'd expect after a time out it'd be better.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »
It doesn't fall solely on the timeout. I wrote this in the heat of the moment and it wasn't the worst timeout however I still think it was a bad move. If we made a layup, if every time alexander touched the ball it wasn't a foul, if anytime we went to the hole if we got a foul......the ball rarely bounces our way in these 50/50 situations.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
It doesn't fall solely on the timeout. I wrote this in the heat of the moment and it wasn't the worst timeout however I still think it was a bad move. If we made a layup, if every time alexander touched the ball it wasn't a foul, if anytime we went to the hole if we got a foul......the ball rarely bounces our way in these 50/50 situations.

I think that anyone who re-watches it like JJ, will realize - a) that that wasn't a play they ran (Miz just had a open lane and took it) b) Horne over played the ball and c) the help from Boothe was non-existant.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »
still the defense should have been set up with the timeout before this timeout benefitted WVU way more than it could have for St. John's.

In football if you're up by 3 with 1:30 left in a game and are on defense and your opponent has no timeouts on the 40 yardline and its 2nd and 10. You get a sack and call a timeout to say hey guys don't let them get the first down here??? Thats how I feel about the timeout it was really worthless. Did it lose us the game? No but was it one of many factors that contributed to it? Yes.

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »
Whos 40 are you on?.....btw JJ If you were on the half pecker line on the last play of the game down 3 to a winless team late in the season would you go for the win or take the gimme 3 and go to OT?  p.s. Mets/Stros spring training game was sold out, I scored 2 for nothing but I can only imagine what its going to look like at Shea...

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
Hahaha their 40 but point of the matter is the timeout was more resourceful to the team on offense than defense in my opinion. Glad you got there on my directions and I can't wait for baseball the new stadium looks sick I can't believe how much they've gotten done on that. Check out the schedule over summer and we'll hit up a game