Jayson Williams - Starting Over

• 31 replies

Poison

Re: Jayson Williams - Starting Over
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
you haven't moved on...

at least we have one fault free choir boy who never had his hands dirtied posting.

i welcome your perspective.

Yes, but defend the murderer. Makes sense. Well thought out.

pmg911

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »
Poison - you make it seem like sharing an article is advocating for the man.

For me personally, I hope Jayson has learned from his terrible mistakes and arrogance because he has a lot to offer.

That being said, I will gladly make a friendly wager that nothing like this ever happens with him again.

Sometimes life takes us all down a bad path and we have to deal with the consequewnces of going down those roads; Jayson has done that and is moving forward with his life. You are ceretainly entitled to judge him all you like but I wonder if someone you cared about was in the exact same position you would be so critical and unforgiving.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »
This guy didn't give a sht about anyone else, otherwise he wouldn't be handling guns so recklously. Now someone is without a husband, father or friend because of his nice personic actions. How anyone can defend him is beyond me

Poison

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
Poison - you make it seem like sharing an article is advocating for the man.

For me personally, I hope Jayson has learned from his terrible mistakes and arrogance because he has a lot to offer.

That being said, I will gladly make a friendly wager that nothing like this ever happens with him again.

Sometimes life takes us all down a bad path and we have to deal with the consequewnces of going down those roads; Jayson has done that and is moving forward with his life. You are ceretainly entitled to judge him all you like but I wonder if someone you cared about was in the exact same position you would be so critical and unforgiving.

Your empathy for Jayson is duely noted. However, I think it's distasteful to publicly show him unconditional love. I would like to see him turn his life around. I've said it before. We all have. And why are we focusing more on Jayson Williams and not the family that lost someone? Why is there no thread on their behalf. How would you feel if your brother was killed, the killer tried to cover it up, and wound up only getting 5 years in prison? If anything, Jayson Williams is one of the luckiest men alive.

He was given a second chance, and he promptly blew it. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I find this support concerning, because I feel that former players like Williams and Artest do not represent the character that St.John's is trying to display for NY and the rest of the nation to see. Yet, these are our last two basketball stars in the NBA. The University has distanced themselves from Artest for obvious reasons. We rip on Jarvis every chance we get, but this these guys are "victims" of circumstance?

In regards to your wager, I'm going to decline. I have no interest in rooting for him to fail. Just because I do not believe that he is reformed, it doesn't mean that I don't want him to be.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:59:01 AM by Poison »

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »
One love
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
 While what Jayson did was dumb , i think there is a place for second chances and forgiveness in our society.  I would think being supporters of a Catholic institution this would be a main tenant.

We have all made really bad and stupid decisions. Some of us are just lucky that no one was injured . I would bet that most of us have been behind the wheel of an automobile when we probably shouldn't have.  By the grace of god no one got killed or injured.

He deserves to move on from his past.  He served his time the State said he should after being found guilty.  That is how this country works.

I am not defending his actions or not being compassionate about the victim or his family.  Truly a tragedy for those involved. Maybe as a result of him being reformed ( If he is) he can help kids to avoid the destructive path his life ended up going down.  Isn't that the best for all involved?  Who knows, maybe a life or two can be saved down the road.

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
And why are we focusing more on Jayson Williams and not the family that lost someone? Why is there no thread on their behalf

Because this is a SJU basketball forum and Jayson Williams played basketball for SJU.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
While what Jayson did was dumb , i think there is a place for second chances and forgiveness in our society.  I would think being supporters of a Catholic institution this would be a main tenant.

We have all made really bad and stupid decisions. Some of us are just lucky that no one was injured . I would bet that most of us have been behind the wheel of an automobile when we probably shouldn't have.  By the grace of god no one got killed or injured.

He deserves to move on from his past.  He served his time the State said he should after being found guilty.  That is how this country works.

I am not defending his actions or not being compassionate about the victim or his family.  Truly a tragedy for those involved. Maybe as a result of him being reformed ( If he is) he can help kids to avoid the destructive path his life ended up going down.  Isn't that the best for all involved?  Who knows, maybe a life or two can be saved down the road.
Dumb mistake alright. Maybe the limo driver can move on too. Oh, that's right he can't-he's dead.

boo3

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »

Dumb mistake alright. Maybe the limo driver can move on too. Oh, that's right he can't-he's dead.

If you believe he should be locked up forever and have the key thrown away, thats your prerogative.   Good for you.

You pretty much missed the entire point..

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »

If you believe he should be locked up forever and have the key thrown away, thats your prerogative.   Good for you.

Didn't miss your points and some were good and all make sense. just used your post to make a point-some of us feel more for the victim than for the perpetrator of a violent crime that took a life and hurt a family. There are different " levels of mistakes" the other day I made the mistake of forgetting my keys and locked myself out of the house.

pmg911

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
Having a discussion about a former SJU player on an SJU message board doesn't mean that anyone doesn't feel for the victim. In reading through these posts, I am not sure how you could come to that conclusion.

boo3

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

Didn't miss your points and some were good and all make sense. just used your post to make a point-some of us feel more for the victim than for the perpetrator of a violent crime that took a life and hurt a family. There are different " levels of mistakes" the other day I made the mistake of forgetting my keys and locked myself out of the house.

Of course.  I never said I feel "bad" for Jayson, nor did anyone else in this thread.  The point is , what happens now?  Can something positive come out of a tragedy?  It happens all the time.  Does it bring the deceased back? No.

But if Jayson can use his popularity to help others that may be heading down the same, destructive path, isn't that more productive that treating him like an animal and keeping him prison for the rest of his life?