Most Athletic Team in America?

• 4 replies
Most Athletic Team in America?
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm old school and come from an era when wide receivers calmly handed the ball to the official following a spectacular end zone grab.  My favorite offense is to run the fullback straight forward into the line continually for three yards and a cloud of dust.

I pine for the days when Louie pulled you out of the game for starting a fast break, and made them walk it up slowly and run sets on every single possesion.  I generally much prefer a 53-52 game to a 97-96 game.  I thought the shot clock was a useless gimic.

But I'm loving this year's team!  We really do have some young, exciting talent here.  This is a darn entertaining style of high flying run and gun basketball we're playing.  We can even score the basketball  This ain't your Mom's Johnnies.

I fully expect us to be playing to half empty houses next two weeks at Alumni.  But if we could only win, the city might really embrace a team like this. Not only for the winning but stylistically.  Showtime comes to Queens is better than I expected and could easily have mass appeal.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:45:06 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Moose

Re: Most Athletic Team in America?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
I'm old school and come from an era when wide receivers calmly handed the ball to the official following a spectacular end zone grab.  My favorite offense is to run the fullback straight forward into the line continually for three yards and a cloud of dust.

I pine for the days when Louie pulled you out of the game for starting a fast break, and made them walk it up slowly and run sets on every single possesion.  I generally much prefer a 53-52 game to a 97-96 game.  I thought the shot clock was a useless gimic.

But I'm loving this year's team!  We really do have some young, exciting talent here.  This is a darn entertaining style of high flying run and gun basketball we're playing.  We can even score the basketball  This ain't your Mom's Johnnies.

I fully expect us to be playing to half empty houses next two weeks at Alumni.  But if we could only win, the city might really embrace a team like this. Not only for the winning but stylistically.  Showtime comes to Queens is better than I expected and could easily have mass appeal.

Carmine-

I mean no disrespect but its good to see an old school guy like yourself begin to embrace this team.  I've said it before and will say it again the majority of the STJ fan base is very much old school in that fullback mentality and I don't think they have embraced the changing of the game much.

Unfortunately after two relatively enjoyable games to watch these next to game are sandwiched right around Thanksgiving which should lead to nobody showing up
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:01:50 PM »

Carmine-

I mean no disrespect but its good to see an old school guy like yourself begin to embrace this team.  I've said it before and will say it again the majority of the STJ fan base is very much old school in that fullback mentality and I don't think they have embraced the changing of the game much.

Unfortunately after two relatively enjoyable games to watch these next to game are sandwiched right around Thanksgiving which should lead to nobody showing up

I'm embracing them alright.  I really like this years model.  Looking forward to seeing them live for the first time on Wednesday.

I guess you gotta change with the times.  I'm telling ya,  a guy used to score a touchdown and NOT commence a soul train audition.  Nobody under 40 would believe it.   When Billy "White Shoes" Johnson started this whole thing he was like a brother from another planet.  People were flipping out. 

How was Charleston?  How is the town?  How was the tournament?  Other JJ posters there?

NFL Top Ten End Zone Celebrations #6 Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:19:57 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Moose

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »

Carmine-

I'm embracing them alright.  I really like this years model.  Looking forward to seeing them live for the first time on Wednesday.

I guess you gotta change with the times.  I'm telling ya,  a guy used to score a touchdown and NOT commence a soul train audition.  Nobody under 40 would believe it.   When Billy "White Shoes" Johnson started this whole thing he was like a brother from another planet.  People were flipping out. 

How was Charleston?  How is the town?  How was the tournament?  Other JJ posters there?

It was fun.  Really wanted 2 wins so that kind of sucked.  But we did have leads, not like they no showed for the losses.  Met up with Ted, MJDinkins and RedStormRising

It's an interesting town really.  The weather wasn't great which put a damper on how it looked and came off IMO.  I definitely want to return during the better seasons and get in some golf down there.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »

Carmine-

It was fun.  Really wanted 2 wins so that kind of sucked.  But we did have leads, not like they no showed for the losses.  Met up with Ted, MJDinkins and RedStormRising

It's an interesting town really.  The weather wasn't great which put a damper on how it looked and came off IMO.  I definitely want to return during the better seasons and get in some golf down there.

Sounds good.   Wish I could of made it.  Combining a little Johnny bball with an interesting locale is a great travel option in my book.