Lavin meter

• 36 replies
Re: Lavin meter
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
 Part of me is hoping that you're only lauding Lavin to mess with Moose's head now that you've shamred him into doubting the existence of an infallible being. -Foad

That would be a great mind f%$ck. Poke holes in a guy's belief, convert him into a disbeliever, then start praising the original belief . Not what I am doing though.  :)
In fairness to my guy Moose there are people on the board who worship much more fervently at the temple of Lavin than he did.

SJUFAN

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
A solid nine. Really. On this scale to rate a 3 he'd have to rape and murder a hot dog vendor.

Just win baby. I am the Paris Hilton of graders-EASY
The offense is terrible and that will be a negative all year long, but I liked the D and I didn't have any problems with the rotations or sub patterns. What were your issues?

but why have Greene take them when a 90 percent FT shooter is on the bench?

That's not Lavin's call.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
That's not Lavin's call.

In the Pros, the opposing coach picks the player. I admit I am not sure of the rule in college. If it was Rice's call why not pick a walkon? Though the "circle" worked out fine for him. 

desco80

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
Lavin is not a great coach, but overall he is good for the program, so I am not going to harp on his shortcomings, especially in wins.

Lavin is the best thing to happen to SJ basketball in my lifetime, and that includes getting that POS Jarvis scraped off SJ's shoe. He is a bit of a dunce though and harping on his myriad shortcomings will have to do for fun until next year when we make the Sweet 16. Because I expect the rest of the year to be brutal, including an 0 for February.

0 for February?   They can't beat USF?    Or win one from Georgetown, UConn, Pitt ? 

I'm optimistic St Johns can go 2-4 in that stretch.  The three most winnable games; Pitt, USF, and Uconn, are all at home.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:10:22 AM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Lavin is not a great coach, but overall he is good for the program, so I am not going to harp on his shortcomings, especially in wins.

Lavin is the best thing to happen to SJ basketball in my lifetime, and that includes getting that POS Jarvis scraped off SJ's shoe. He is a bit of a dunce though and harping on his myriad shortcomings will have to do for fun until next year when we make the Sweet 16. Because I expect the rest of the year to be brutal, including an 0 for February.

0 for February?   They can't beat USF?    Or win one from Georgetown, UConn, Pitt ? 

I'm optimistic St Johns can go 2-4 in that stretch.  The three most winnable games; Pitt, USF, and Uconn, are all at home.

Agree that all 3 of those games on home court are winnable.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »

There's no question though, that after the Depaul game next week things get much tougher.   
Besides USF, and on the road at Providence, we probably won't be favored for the rest of the season.

Foad

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
I'm optimistic

That explains it then. I'm not.

jr49

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »

There's no question though, that after the Depaul game next week things get much tougher.   
Besides USF, and on the road at Providence, we probably won't be favored for the rest of the season.
I think our 4 BE wins come as dogs.

desco80

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »

I think our 4 BE wins come as dogs.

With 11 games left, I think 4 wins is a reasonable expectation.
5 and I would be very very happy. 

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Moose and I have a Freaky Friday thing going. I am going out on a limb and predicting 6-5. Which will give us 18 wins and really have us kicking ourselves over a couple of the early season losses.

Moose

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »
Moose and I have a Freaky Friday thing going. I am going out on a limb and predicting 6-5. Which will give us 18 wins and really have us kicking ourselves over a couple of the early season losses.

I agree.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

All depends on who the wins came against but that record with 1 win in the BE tourney and were probably in the dance.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
19-13 not going to get it done

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »

WV made it last year with a 9-9 big east record and 19-14 overall.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »

I don't think we can go 6-5.   I hope I'm wrong.
But I think that would get us in if by some miracle we did win 6.   We'd be 2 games above .500 in conference play, and our RPI would probably be top 35. 
If two of those games are against ranked teams... even lower ranked, like Georgetown, Marquette, Pitt, ND, Uconn etc could be when we play them... then that's enough I think.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
Big East road win rate Hollywood another 10 on the Wasju meter.

BEB's is back?

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »
That's not Lavin's call.

In the Pros, the opposing coach picks the player. I admit I am not sure of the rule in college. If it was Rice's call why not pick a walkon? Though the "circle" worked out fine for him. 

The opposing coach picks from the remaining four players on the court.  Not sure about the sub coming in.