Louisville Game Discussion

• 235 replies

boo3

Re: Louisville Game Discussion
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
 " But even if they don't add ANY players they will be significantly better next year then this year." - Fordham.

^ exactly. Kids will improve. 

« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Good post Fordham. As for the scuffle, I went back and looked at it in slo-mo. Obekpa did nothing, Dom shoved the guy with both hands and the Louisville player thought it was Big Chris. Regarding free throws, I don't think the refs did us any favors overall but if the paint was actually paint all of St. John's sneakers would still be snow white after last night.

Did anyone really expect to win either of the last 2 games? In my opinion, we are about on track for what I thought this team would be which is flirting with an NCAA bid. Clearly to have any chance we need to beat South Florida and Providence. If we steal 1 win from Pitt Notre Dame or Marquette that gets us 18 wins and likely a bye in the Big East tournament (almost a fine line, not getting the bye would get us an extra chance for a win but i guess you need to finish as high up the ladder as possible). Win one in the BET and we're likely on the outside looking in with 19 wins, maybe last 4 out. Win 2, we're probably going.

As of today our RPI is 54 and our SOS is 13 (and we still play at least 3 ranked teams). Not bad for the resume and in my opinion nothing has changed over the last 2 games, now we see how bad we want it

« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
Post game video from Slick Rick.  Sometimes you have sift thru the BS but to me what he said is revealing.

He said he was impressed by how hard SJU plays for such a young team and how they never quit and kept coming back.  Also said this is without a doubt the most talented SJU team he has faced since Louisville has been in the Big East.

Very impressed with JaKarr specifically with his defense inside.  Remembers recruiting him and how good he was as a prep player and how much he has improved since.

http://www.courier-journal.com/videonetwork/2166165211001

But meanwhile some on the other board are saying how they lollygag all the time.

I take Rick's opinion.  He had nice embrace with Dee after the game.  Handshake lines are always fun to see interactions.
When does a coach ever say anything bad about the oppossing teams players. Ever hear a coach say this guy or that guy stunk?

« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
Post game video from Slick Rick.  Sometimes you have sift thru the BS but to me what he said is revealing.

He said he was impressed by how hard SJU plays for such a young team and how they never quit and kept coming back.  Also said this is without a doubt the most talented SJU team he has faced since Louisville has been in the Big East.

Very impressed with JaKarr specifically with his defense inside.  Remembers recruiting him and how good he was as a prep player and how much he has improved since.

But meanwhile some on the other board are saying how they lollygag all the time.

I take Rick's opinion.  He had nice embrace with Dee after the game.  Handshake lines are always fun to see interactions.
When does a coach ever say anything bad about the oppossing teams players. Ever hear a coach say this guy or that guy stunk?

No but when he is talking about a team he knows is not very good he will be diplomatic, say things like they need more time to rebuild, team' s X fan base needs to be patient etc.

He isn't saying that about SJU.

Moose

« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »

Always skeptical aren't you.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
Sure he doesn't see him?

You are right. He sees him, just chooses not to pass. This is the first game I have seen with this group where it looks like there is some tension between the players. Not helping guys off the floor, huddling during a dead ball. Hard to tell for sure watching on TV, but just an observation...

I've never got that vibe, think you may be reading too much into it. Remember these guys haven't had years of playing together like most teams.
3) just a hypothesis, I haven't looked at the numbers, but
Dom started blossoming in January when Branch got up to speed and started playing big minutes. 
He's fallen off the last 3, and looks like the Dom from October.  Connection?
Could be he's just hitting a little wall, but maybe Jamal was getting Dom the ball in a position to succeed.  ( those corner 3s are the most obvious that come to mind)

I think its a good observation Desco with a logical explanation...without Branch, Dom is handling the ball more and against pressure...he is improving greatly but as Celtics once said (and I still laugh when I think about it), he looks like he is dribbling a football...that said, I love the guy and every aspect of his game is improving...I attribute last night's regression to fact that Lousiville's style really speeds the game up in one's head...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:56:16 PM by section3 »

« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »
Dom started the game at the 4---against Behanan.  We were clearly out-muscled on the inside and out-quicked (?) on the perimeter.

« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
Dom started the game at the 4---against Behanan.  We were clearly out-muscled on the inside and out-quicked (?) on the perimeter.

I thought same thing as I watched the game -- outmuscled -- and it gave me hope that we can develop in future -- especially Obekpa given the developmeng of Dieng over the years

« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »
Karr 3-13, ouch
At times can be a Black Hole!
 :-\

Tiznow

« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2013, 11:50:46 PM »
3) just a hypothesis, I haven't looked at the numbers, but
Dom started blossoming in January when Branch got up to speed and started playing big minutes. 
He's fallen off the last 3, and looks like the Dom from October.  Connection?
Could be he's just hitting a little wall, but maybe Jamal was getting Dom the ball in a position to succeed.  ( those corner 3s are the most obvious that come to mind)

Two points. One, SDP has played well against bad teams - DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall - and stunk against teams that are bigger and stronger than he is. In those games you can see his frustration via chippy play, ie thrown elbows and last night's cheap shot. For which sooner or later he's going to get tossed. Two, re Branch, what he did do is move Pointer off the ball so that he's not a primary ball handler and doesn't have to make plays. Because he's not very good at either of those things.

Are you sure you are watching Sir Dom?  He's the guy that energizes the St John's crowd and pisses off the fans of the opponents. 

« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
Like Moose said, it is always interesting to watch how coaches treat opposing players during the post game handshake.  It is obvious that the other coaches in this league love Harrison.  Thompson, Willard, Jay Wright and others went out of their way post-game to compliment D-lo. Same with Jakar for certain games.

Poison

« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2013, 12:03:33 AM »
" But even if they don't add ANY players they will be significantly better next year then this year." - Fordham.

More important than adding players is making sure the current group knows that they would get their asses kicked playing Against NBA comp. Frankly, college comp is kicking it right now. It shouldn't need to be said, but leaving before you accomplish anything makes the entire experience a waste.

« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »
Karr 3-13, ouch
At times can be a Black Hole!
 :-\

Worse yet - to me - usually there there are no Johnnies anywhere near the basket when Jakarr pops and he rarely follows up unless he's underneath.

boo3

« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »

More important than adding players is making sure the current group knows that they would get their asses kicked playing Against NBA comp. Frankly, college comp is kicking it right now. It shouldn't need to be said, but leaving before you accomplish anything makes the entire experience a waste.

Yes Poison.  Your stance on any St.johns player even thinking about leaving early has been duly noted. 

« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »

Not to mention we do get 2 players back next year in Gift & Max Hooper

« Reply #235 on: February 17, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »

Not to mention we do get 2 players back next year in Gift & Max Hooper

I'd be shocked if nobody left for any number of reasons.  We'll have openings but Lawrence was a big miss that must be offset.  I'm tired of seeing us outgunned on the boards and blown off on the perimeter.  Our guys can run and jump but they don't have quick feet.  Lavin has to step up here and get creative if necessary.  They all don't have to be 4 stars.  Let's fill the openings.