2012-2013 Player of the Year

• 38 replies
Re: 2012-2013 Player of the Year
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »
Player of the Year should probably finish the year as a member of the team.... You wanna say Most valuable, that's one thing. 

Jakarr is POY with Dom a close second.

Now you're playing semantics.  No matter what title you wanna give it, Harrison turned out to be the only consistent scorer/outside threat we had, without him we hit the skids.

TONYD3

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »
I voted for harrision also. Without him our record isn't close to .500.

ras

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
Last year DLO was my favorite player. In the last several BE games he played he did not look that good, I thaught something was wrong w him.IE mental or physical, he did not look the same.

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
Last year DLO was my favorite player. In the last several BE games he played he did not look that good, I thaught something was wrong w him.IE mental or physical, he did not look the same.
Agreed. Sad part is he was still the MVP

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
Sadly, 3'lo was P of the Y.  :(

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »
Wow surprising Obekpa got so few votes. I voted for him because Obekpa was everything we expected and more. Sampson was obviously very good but he kind of faded a little down the stretch with a lot of bricks. Obekpa was brought here to block and rebound. He blocked better than we could have imagined and has gotten pretty good rebounding.

boo3

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
  The graph of the poll looks like a giant " finger"..  Seems appropriate for some reason.

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 07:54:16 PM »
  The graph of the poll looks like a giant " finger"..  Seems appropriate for some reason.

Haha nice observation boo
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »
Wow surprising Obekpa got so few votes. I voted for him because Obekpa was everything we expected and more. Sampson was obviously very good but he kind of faded a little down the stretch with a lot of bricks. Obekpa was brought here to block and rebound. He blocked better than we could have imagined and has gotten pretty good rebounding.

He was brutal on offense.  Gave us absolutely nothing.  Can't be player of the year if you can't put the ball in te basket at all.

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
that is f'ing funny !!

boo3

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
 Pretty clear that Sampson is the runaway winner... I happen to agree. I just can't give Player of Year to someone who couldn't make it a whole season without getting kicked off the team..

LJSA

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 01:56:01 AM »

My interpretation is that we're #$%^ed if Sampson leaves.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
Everyone has different criteria for POY.  Who is the player we can barely win without?  A quick glance at the PPG and the record after Harrison was suspended tells us all we need to know there.  What player did his job most effectively?  Sampson, and I don't think it is particularly close.  Great kid on and off the court...scored, shot a high %, boarded, defended, and was never a problem.

I'm looking forward to Sampson coming back 15 pounds heavier and vicious down low.

SJUFAN

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
I would say Sampson. He's a freshman who improved as the season progressed, during BE play is when we needed it the most. D'lo wasn't playing his best ball prior to the suspension, when we needed him to play his best, he regressed. It's easy to say look at our PPG and amount of wins when we didn't have D'lo. However, how do we know what our PPG and wins would be if the roles were reversed (not having Sampson and having D'lo)? Since we don't, I don't think PPG and wins/lose record is an accurate measuring stick of how important each player was to the team.

Moose

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 02:27:43 PM »
I would say Sampson. He's a freshman who improved as the season progressed, during BE play is when we needed it the most. D'lo wasn't playing his best ball prior to the suspension, when we needed him to play his best, he regressed. It's easy to say look at our PPG and amount of wins when we didn't have D'lo. However, how do we know what our PPG and wins would be if the roles were reversed (not having Sampson and having D'lo)? Since we don't, I don't think PPG and wins/lose record is an accurate measuring stick of how important each player was to the team.

Than what is an accurate measure.

And to answer your question I'm sure the PPG would have seen a similar drop and W/L record likely the same.  Your talking about the two guys you could count on every night for 15 ppg.  If either of them missed time we would have been screwed.
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJUFAN

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

And to answer your question I'm sure the PPG would have seen a similar drop and W/L record likely the same.  Your talking about the two guys you could count on every night for 15 ppg.  If either of them missed time we would have been screwed.

I agree there may have been a similar drop. What I look at is the individual performance during BE play when we needed them to play at there best. The six games prior to D'lo's suspension, he was averaging 11.3 pts per game shooting 28%. Sampson was averaging 16.5. Sampson improved his play during BE play, D'lo regressed. Throw in the fact the Sampson is a freshman and D'lo got suspended seals the deal in my book. Its not how you start, its how you finish. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:06:37 PM by STJFAN »

Moose

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »

I agree there may have been a similar drop. What I look at is the individual performance during BE play when we needed them to play at there best. The six games prior to D'lo's suspension, he was averaging 11.3 pts per game shooting 28%. Sampson was averaging 16.5. Sampson improved his play during BE play, D'lo regressed. Throw in the fact the Sampson is a freshman and D'lo got suspended seals the deal in my book. Its not how you start, its how you finish. 

Teams focusing on Dee and opening the door for Karr to excel? ;)

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »

Perhaps. However I would say based on that same logic, without D'lo in the line up, teams now focused on Sampson. He went on to average 15.6 pts during those last 6 games. When teams focus on shutting down D'lo, he struggled. When teams focused on Sampson, he still put up his numbers. That's the difference between the two and why one will play in the league and the other will not. D'lo is a great college player, and if he stays around, will be one of our all time greats.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »

Perhaps. However I would say based on that same logic, without D'lo in the line up, teams now focused on Sampson. He went on to average 15.6 pts during those last 6 games. When teams focus on shutting down D'lo, he struggled. When teams focused on Sampson, he still put up his numbers. That's the difference between the two and why one will play in the league and the other will not. D'lo is a great college player, and if he stays around, will be one of our all time greats.

I will counter that they could focus on the Phil or Branch since they had the ball in their hands.
Sampson is special there is no doubt.  But even with that 6 game stretch where Dee struggled he was still 3rd in the BE in scoring and with a better FG % than his freshman year.  Pretty crazy actually.

If they can ever get all the parts working.........