BE Media Day

• 53 replies

NYCoffey

Re: BE Media Day
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
case in point about preseason rankings

Last years big east preseason poll in order and there final ranking in the big east

1)Louisville 1st
2)Syracuse 5th
3)ND 6th
4)Cincy 9th
5)pitt 4th
6)gtown- 2nd
7)marquett 3rd
8)South Fla- 14th
9)Uconn- 8th
10)St johns- 10th
11)Rutgers- 12th
12)Villinova- 7th
13)providence- 9th
14)Seton Hall- 13th
15)Depaul- 15th

Unfortunately the only one they got correct was us,Louisville and Depaul (which was kind of a no brainer). Hoping there wrong this year.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:12:47 PM by NYCoffey »

Moose

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
With regards to the 1st place votes this year should be more accurate since previously in the BE when Pitino picked us 1st he had other motives that impacted the scheduling.  Since there are only 10 teams and everyone plays twice there is no funny business.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »

Last years big east preseason poll in order and there final ranking in the big east

1)Louisville 1st
2)Syracuse 5th
3)ND 6th
4)Cincy 9th
5)pitt 4th
6)gtown- 2nd
7)marquett 3rd
8)South Fla- 14th
9)Uconn- 8th
10)St johns- 10th
11)Rutgers- 12th
12)Villinova- 7th
13)providence- 9th
14)Seton Hall- 13th
15)Depaul- 15th

Unfortunately the only one they got correct was us,Louisville and Depaul (which was kind of a no brainer). Hoping there wrong this year.

Dude you are ranking 15 teams, no way you are going to get more then a few EXACTLY right.

The top 7 teams preseason were the 7 teams that made the NCAAs.  The one the missed on was Villanova.

Keep in mind they play an unbalanced schedule which probably was unfair to Syracuse.

They played Georgetown and Louisville twice and Marquette and Pitt on the road.  Yet at the end of the day they were in the BE title game against Ville and both of them made the Final Four.

Actually not bad predicting.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »
Is Butler really that bad or is there just a huge drop from 9 to 10?  Man, I hope that new coach can recruit like the last one or they are in trouble. 

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
Another way to look at it in the old league you get picked 2nd or 6th you are expected to make the NCAAs either way.  Because the league was so big and top half strong.

New more compact league the difference between finishing 2nd and 6th is the difference between being a certain NCAA team and a probable NIT team.

NYCoffey

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »

1)Louisville 1st
2)Syracuse 5th
3)ND 6th
4)Cincy 9th
5)pitt 4th
6)gtown- 2nd
7)marquett 3rd
8)South Fla- 14th
9)Uconn- 8th
10)St johns- 10th
11)Rutgers- 12th
12)Villinova- 7th
13)providence- 9th
14)Seton Hall- 13th
15)Depaul- 15th

Dude you are ranking 15 teams, no way you are going to get more then a few EXACTLY right.

The top 7 teams preseason were the 7 teams that made the NCAAs.  The one the missed on was Villanova.

Keep in mind they play an unbalanced schedule which probably was unfair to Syracuse.

They played Georgetown and Louisville twice and Marquette and Pitt on the road.  Yet at the end of the day they were in the BE title game against Ville and both of them made the Final Four.

Actually not bad predicting.

I know that. Its all just fodder anyway is my point. Its basically impossible to come even close so I don't pay much mind to preseason rankings. You are right that they didn't  do a bad job at predicting and most of the teams were off by 5 spots or more. I think it will be more accurate this year come the end of the season with the balanced schedule and only 10 teams.

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Johnnies Piqcked 5th in Big East, But Have Potential to Go Deep http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/johnnies-picked-5th-in-big-east-but-have-potential-to-go-deep/ #STJBB”

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Johnnies Piqcked 5th in Big East, But Have Potential to Go Deep http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/johnnies-picked-5th-in-big-east-but-have-potential-to-go-deep/ #STJBB”

“We need him to shoot more,” Harrison said. “You gotta show people that you can score first, then you can help everybody else.”

Spoken like a true scorer ;)

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »
“@KieranDarcy: My St. John's/Seton Hall story from Big East media day. Our two locals are hoping to surprise people: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/6153/st-johns-picked-to-finish-fifth-in-big-east

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's will slap Big East No. 5 preseason ranking on bulletin board http://nyp.st/16anXLk #sjubb”

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
I'm just telling you why I don't think it's crazy for people to rank us lower than we may think or like. 

You brought up Kentucky .. We aren't Kentucky.. Not even close. 

Preseason ranking don't mean jack anyway, so there is no point in even getting worked up about them..

I couldn't care less if we are preseason #1 or #10...

:Lets throw the ball up already

It is a misrepresentation of what I said.

I understand SJU is not Kentucky but I brought up UK to prove the fallacy of using immediate prior success as a major factor in predicting things.

SJU is not Temple either at least recently but just about everyone expects Temple to take a bit step back just based on huge senior losses.  In other words assuming they were in the same conference you think Temple is SJU's equal this year?

Calipari's past success with freshmen plays a big part in that early ranking.  Also it is somehwat different. Cal's freshmen haven't won anything, but they also haven't lost anything.  These St. John's guys have lost for two seasons already. 

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
I'm just telling you why I don't think it's crazy for people to rank us lower than we may think or like. 

You brought up Kentucky .. We aren't Kentucky.. Not even close. 

Preseason ranking don't mean jack anyway, so there is no point in even getting worked up about them..

I couldn't care less if we are preseason #1 or #10...

:Lets throw the ball up already

It is a misrepresentation of what I said.

I understand SJU is not Kentucky but I brought up UK to prove the fallacy of using immediate prior success as a major factor in predicting things.

SJU is not Temple either at least recently but just about everyone expects Temple to take a bit step back just based on huge senior losses.  In other words assuming they were in the same conference you think Temple is SJU's equal this year?

Calipari's past success with freshmen plays a big part in that early ranking.  Also it is somehwat different. Cal's freshmen haven't won anything, but they also haven't lost anything.  These St. John's guys have lost for two seasons already. 

Again SJU played with 7 first year players last year including JaKarr and Obepka, there roster was not full of 2nd year players.

And Kentucky was a huge disappointment last year, and keep in mind the 2012 UK team had players like Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb as sophomores.  It is a misnomer to say they were a team full of freshmen.

This UK team is made up of no one that has ever won a post-season game in either the NCAA or NIT.  That has not been true of any Calipari team that was this hyped.

Again you are missing the point, UK is getting ranked ahead of stud teams and stud coaches like Michigan St and Ohio St and Duke among others because they are LOADED WITH TALENT regardless of the fact that they don't have a lot of big game experience.

BTW-Did you see the Marquette was picked by the coaches as the pre-season no. 1?  Again the same team that VItale does not even think belongs in the top 4 of the conference...

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
Nice perspective IMO;

“@jeffborzello: The new Big East felt weird yesterday -- but that doesn't mean it's taking a hit nationally: http://cbsprt.co/1gNWNfe

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »

1)Louisville 1st
2)Syracuse 5th
3)ND 6th
4)Cincy 9th
5)pitt 4th
6)gtown- 2nd
7)marquett 3rd
8)South Fla- 14th
9)Uconn- 8th
10)St johns- 10th
11)Rutgers- 12th
12)Villinova- 7th
13)providence- 9th
14)Seton Hall- 13th
15)Depaul- 15th

Actually Georgetown finished 1st and Louisville finished 2nd.