Game times affecting attendance?

• 18 replies

Wods317

Game times affecting attendance?
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:11:38 AM »
The attendance for the first two games has not been very good. I was just curious to hear what you guys think about the start times. I know they are dictated by TV but an 8:30pm start on a Tuesday and 6pm start on a Friday are tough for people to make. I have moved down to the front of section 11 every game because it has been quite empty unlike the last couple years. It's a shame because this is our best team in a while and some people are missing these games. The paid attendance might be similar to recent years but the number of people who have showed up is down.

paultzman

Re: Game times affecting attendance?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »
The attendance for the first two games has not been very good. I was just curious to hear what you guys think about the start times. I know they are dictated by TV but an 8:30pm start on a Tuesday and 6pm start on a Friday are tough for people to make. I have moved down to the front of section 11 every game because it has been quite empty unlike the last couple years. It's a shame because this is our best team in a while and some people are missing these games. The paid attendance might be similar to recent years but the number of people who have showed up is down.

Fox dictates.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
What's good about Fox is those of us who can't get to every game can watch us against the Wagners, Bucknells and Monmouths of the world.  Last year, we'd be blacked out while SNY or MSG were putting up Syracuse and UCONN games.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
Attendance was pretty good for the Wagner game.  It seemed a bit empty for the Bucknell.  Considering it was at 8:30 on a Tuesday night, I guess it isn't surprising.  I think Friday will be pretty good. 

CC

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
STJ's attendance , esp vs non conf early season foes, has been bad for years.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
A loss the first game and two non-sexy named schools doesn't help. Also getting to Queens at 8:30 on a weekday is rough.

Also I wish Fox Sports would allow you to watch games later like ESPN3
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:36 PM »
A loss the first game and two non-sexy named schools doesn't help. Also getting to Queens at 8:30 on a weekday is rough.

Also I wish Fox Sports would allow you to watch games later like ESPN3
Not going to speak for others...For me, while 7/730 is optimal, I won't miss a game because it is at 830/9 on a weekday...Not sure how far our season ticket subscribers extend to...I am approx 40 minutes w/o traffic

Wods317

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »
I 100% understand that FOX is dictating the start times and they are paying us so they have every right to do that. Just thought it was an interesting topic, because having worked at St. John's and now attending games as a fan this year there has been a little drop in attendance. Love the fact that all of our games are on FS1 though. Should be a fun game Friday hopefully not too late for the old men.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
Remove the old men from Carnessecca and the place would be empty.

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
"Weekend at Bernie's" crowd, me included.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »
I thought Friday at 9pm's crowd was a lot better than Tuesday at 8:30's crowd. On Tuesday me and my three friends were the only people in section 7 on the top. Last night it seemed like there were significantly more people in the upper tier.

redslope

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
I thought Friday at 9pm's crowd was a lot better than Tuesday at 8:30's crowd. On Tuesday me and my three friends were the only people in section 7 on the top. Last night it seemed like there were significantly more people in the upper tier.
Agree--Big difference was in the number of school age kids were there with parents--Tuesday was a school night.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »
Over 4,000 attended last night which is pretty good. They just need to keep winning.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
I think I've heard that it has been over 4000 the last two games. That's pretty good, I think it can only seat like 6k right?  2/3 full isn't bad for a november game against wagner.

I agree with Dave though, last year was sweet cuz all the games (or almost all of them) were on espn 3. It's tough now being out of market cuz I can't watch them anymore and have to pray for a good stream online.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »
1st game I saw live and I thought the crowd size was terrible.  No way they had more than 3000 and that's on a Friday night with school in session.

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »
Paid attendance was 4,185 according to the box score on ESPN.com. I would doubt more than 1k people didn't show up.

redslope

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
After renovations the arena holds 5,602--thus 4,200 would be 75% full.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Sorry, but Wagner, Bucknell, Monmouth, and Longwood aren't going to be a big draw on weeknights.

OOC schedule is just not very good this season.  Makes it all the more essential that our team beats Penn State and GT/Ole Miss.  Need to have some W's against big conference teams.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »
Penn state is 4-1 and isn't going to be a pushover. They play a lot of the same OOC teams as we do.  They lost to Bucknell but destroyed Longwood today.  Need to keep winning these games.  Like I said before.  Want to head into the Cuse game with only 1 loss to Wisconsin under our belt.