Share your great Johnnies quotes from this year's HYPE machine

• 14 replies
Share your great Johnnies quotes from this year's HYPE machine
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:07:54 AM »
“We have the most potential, but nobody has seen it yet. Once people see it, they’ll understand. We have six, seven pros on this team. Our first game [against] Wisconsin, people will understand we’re for real this year.”

I absolutely love this one by Harrison because I would love to know who the 6 or 7 pros there are on this team.  That's the problem with this team they believe they are all great players (FUTURE PROS) and a TOP 10 team when they aren't even close.  Those are the worst kind of teams.

Lavin Needs 2 Go

Re: Share your great Johnnies quotes from this year's HYPE machine
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »
Here's another good one by Branch...

“Look at this team, we’re loaded,” guard Jamal Branch said. “At practice, we’re always battling against each other at a high level. I always [tell] the guys on our team how loaded and how deep our team is. It’s really no difference.”

This team really believes they are loaded too bad they are the least talented team in a watered down version of the Big East.  We all know one thing High School rankings don't mean squat.  They rate the most athletic players the highest but unfortunately most of them end up sucking.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:40:23 AM by Needs2go »

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:36:15 AM »
"Loaded like in drunk?

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
“Rysheed is as good a passer as I’ve seen in my career in broadcasting and coaching at this stage,” Lavin said. “We’ve got to see how it develops, but at this point he’s the best. Jason Kidd would be the next one. I’d put those two in the passing part for this stage.”

This was my absolute favorite one.  The king of hype Lav had a set of brass ones comparing Rysheed to Kidd or even putting them in the same sentence.  I have seen Rysheed make one nice pass all season.  He is a turnover machine and a total one on one player who forgets he has teammates.

This just proves how Lavin will hype everything and anything to make himself and the program look better when in reality this team is an awful collection of talent with a do nothing coach and staff.  That new assistant cracks me up watching him approach the players.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:41:24 AM by Needs2go »

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:24 AM »
There's one from before Europe where Lav says that Jamal Branch made the biggest jump from year-to-year of any player in his career and there's a quote from last year where he said Marco was the best shooter he's coached since Jason Kapono (or something of that sort)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:34:42 AM »
Yep I remember those especially about Marco who I think to be a brutal shooter.  He also said Jordan was the most poised freshman he ever coached.  Dwayne Polee was the most athletic recruit he ever had we all see how he turned out another total bust of a recruit who was highly rated (Top 30 think)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:43:20 AM by Needs2go »

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:45 AM »
Here is another.....

“This is why I came to St. John’s, for a team like this,” said sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson “We have all the pieces.”

Like I said they think they are a great team, what pieces?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:44:41 AM by Needs2go »

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:54 AM »
Lavin hyping up Jordan.  He has a best everything.

“He’s as impressive as any player I’ve had at this stage in his career” Lavin said.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:51:53 AM »
My last one before I turn in for the night.  Another classic from Harrison on how great they are

“Our [top] 10 players can probably start on any roster [in the country],” said Harrison, the Johnnies’ leading scorer a year ago who is back after being suspended by Lavin for the team’s final six games last season because of behavioral issues. “Having that depth and being able to just expend your energy on things you need to do because you know somebody just as good is coming in for you, that’s just great to have.”

“We can have about eight, nine guys in double figures this year. We have two or three guys at every position.”

I cant help but laugh at 8 or 9 guys in double figures.  This is just classic stuff for the most disappointing St John's team of all time.  Sad thing is this team hasn't quit they just aren't good enough to win.

Don't be afraid to share your favorite from a season full of hype

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:37:22 AM »
This thread is classic. Hope to see more.

FIRE LAVIN

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:46 AM »
King of HYPE Lavin had this to say about this upcoming season with a overrated roster who hadn't accomplished a thing...

“This is a year where we’re positioned to do something special,” Lavin said

Yeah real special.  0-5 in a totally watered down Big East which will see 4 teams tops make the tournament this year compared to 8 or 9 in other years.  When you take the 4 best basketball schools out of a single conference there is no way anyone but Lavin can convince you this league is anywhere near year's past.  They just had 2 of their easier league games of the season in  desperate times and this awesome team still couldn't win because they don't know how to. 

10 straight Big East loses and counting. 

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
Lavin straight down to the 12th man on this team think they are great.  Strange to have that feeling when in reality you haven't achieved anything at this level and in all honesty with the core group they have, they have been the doormat of the league since they suited.  Lavin must blow so much smoke up all these recruits behinds they all show up on campus thinking this is their next stop before their NBA careers start.  Sorry to say but there is no NBA talent on this roster.  Maybe summer league but none of them will stick.

“We expect that, too. We probably have even higher expectations than people outside the program because that’s why we all came here. That’s why I came as a head coach. That’s why [junior shooting guard D’Angelo Harrison] came from Houston. That’s why we put together this group.”

Will Lav ever admit he is failing miserably?  Seems like he is in hiding because all he knows to do is hype and at 0-5 in the BE and 1-8 against real teams not much hype can be found.  The writing should have been on the wall with the 1 point win against San Francisco State after this team played together and got a head start on everybody with the 2 weeks in Europe. A nice little vacation for Stevie.  Hopefully he wont be around for the Maui trip.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
Hey TRab, I remember him saying Marco was the best shooter he ever saw but this is what the king of HYPE had to say when Marco became eligible...

Lavin said in the statement announcing the NCAA's decision. "His skill set lends itself to both play-making and shot-making opportunities. We expect Marco to torch the nets from long range."

Lavin is the number one reason we all believed this team was so good and had such deep talent because it is one line after the next hyping everything up and making everyone believe every recruit he lands is either the best or a diamond in the rough.

He needs 2 go
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:18:07 AM by Needs2go »

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
"Let them eat cake!"

- Steve Lavin: Upon hearing that the long suffering Johnny faithful were starving for BE wins.

uwsfan

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
Here is another.....

“This is why I came to St. John’s, for a team like this,” said sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson “We have all the pieces.”

Like I said they think they are a great team, what pieces?

You know what... Sampson was right about that. This is a highly talented team with a lot of good pieces. If they had a  real coach they would be ranked right now.
Hopefully they get an actual basketball coach next year so that they can experience one great season before its over, because if Lavin returns, next season will be just like this one and these kids will have wasted their college years and talent.