#62 in Jay Bilas' top 68 Index

• 37 replies

desco80

Re: #62 in Jay Bilas' top 68 Index
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »
I think a big part of the reason we are ranked as taking the most long 2s is that until recently we got practically no points in the post.   Jakarr and Sanchez would score, but usually from 10 ft out.   So while we got good penetration from the guards I think statistically we were way behind in post scoring
I don't know the stats but I would imagine  a very very low % of our shots were near the basket from our post players (not in transition).

That's starting to change though,  obekpa and Jakarr have both been active lately carving out space in the lane and using a spin or jump hook.   That's a good sign imo.
Better offensive rebounding, and more putbacks, would probably also increase our shot selection numbers.

goredmen

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »
I think a big part of the reason we are ranked as taking the most long 2s is that until recently we got practically no points in the post.   Jakarr and Sanchez would score, but usually from 10 ft out.   So while we got good penetration from the guards I think statistically we were way behind in post scoring
I don't know the stats but I would imagine  a very very low % of our shots were near the basket from our post players (not in transition).

That's starting to change though,  obekpa and Jakarr have both been active lately carving out space in the lane and using a spin or jump hook.   That's a good sign imo.
Better offensive rebounding, and more putbacks, would probably also increase our shot selection numbers.

Obekpa's new found post game kind of scares me a little bit. Its great that he has been able to score from there but I am not confident with him taking a hook shot in a big possession. He took one with about 2:30 left in a tie game against Creighton but it was late in the shot clock so I didn't mind it too much. I hope he still understands that part of his game is still in its beginning stages and that he shouldn't go to that when the team is in desperate need of a bucket

Tha Kid

Re: #62 in Jay Bilas' top 68 Index (UPDATE: #54)
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 10:19:10 AM »
We are now up to #54.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10472176/jay-bilas-ranks-top-68-teams-college-hoops-duke-north-carolina-rise-college-basketball

"54. St. John's Red Storm (Previous ranking: 62)

The talented Johnnies have won eight of nine games after losing five in a row in January. By winning the games it should win down the stretch, St. John's can play in the postseason."

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:21:49 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
I think the biggest advantage St. John's could have is being #3/4 in the standings at season's end. Will be hard if they finish 5/6 and justify them making the tournament with no signature wins.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
I think the biggest advantage St. John's could have is being #3/4 in the standings at season's end. Will be hard if they finish 5/6 and justify them making the tournament with no signature wins.

Creighton it appears is a signature win. They waxed Nova twice.

Moose

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »

Agree.  The key is getting into the Top 4 of the standings.  For record purposes and BET matchup purposes. 

Any idea what tiebreaker rules are for the new BE?
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJUFAN

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 12:37:12 PM »

Agree.  The key is getting into the Top 4 of the standings.  For record purposes and BET matchup purposes. 

If we want to finish top 3 then Xaiver and Marquette becomes must win games and we finish 4-1 or 5-0. If we beat Villanova, then if we finish 3-2 we could afford to finish top 4.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »

If we want to finish top 3 then Xaiver and Marquette becomes must win games and we finish 4-1 or 5-0. If we beat Villanova, then if we finish 3-2 we could afford to finish top 4.

Goal should be win your home games.  Grab 1 road game.

desco80

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »

Goal should be win your home games.  Grab 1 road game.

That's a realistic path.    Lets hope it happens. 

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
Anyone else think that Bilas is getting more and more irritating?  I think being on TV makes you think you are entertaining...

mkras99

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »
Up to 54 now.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
Up to 54 now.

Scroll up about 8 posts :)

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
I don't think anyone reads past the 5 previous posts.  I thought that was a rule...

Tha Kid

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
Up to 39 now!

39. St. John's Red Storm (Previous ranking: 54)

The Johnnies are long, athletic and play terrific defense. When they complement that with smart shot selection, they have the talent to win games against good teams.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10546797/jay-bilas-ranks-top-68-teams-college-hoops-college-basketball
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
Hmmm....Lose important games = Positive.  I like how he thinks.

He must have Seton Hall at 26....

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »
Up to 39 now!

The Johnnies are long, athletic and play terrific defense. When they complement that with smart shot selection, they have the talent to win games against good teams.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10546797/jay-bilas-ranks-top-68-teams-college-hoops-college-basketball

I don't understand how the hell we jumped 15 spots.  I'm a homer and I'm even disappointed with the last three games.  Do we play terrific defense?  We can't stop any guards from driving the lane. 

Moose

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
Up to 39 now!

I don't understand how the hell we jumped 15 spots.  I'm a homer and I'm even disappointed with the last three games.  Do we play terrific defense?  We can't stop any guards from driving the lane. 

We allow them
So we can block shots :)

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
Anyone else think that Bilas is getting more and more irritating?  I think being on TV makes you think you are entertaining...
They all eventually wear out their welcome.  Especially with sports commentators/analysts, familiarity breeds contempt.  And I gave Bilas a free pass already as a Pukie.