Tournament Impressions

• 19 replies

Tiger

Tournament Impressions
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
As always, the tournament was incredibly entertaining.  I was really impressed with Dayton's rebounding tenacity.  If SJU could only get after it, like they do.  The Uconn fans actively support their team.  Great win over a Big 10 team.  Pretty jealous, right now.  What would it take for our fans to support SJU in a similar manner?

Poison

Re: Tournament Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
What would it take for our fans to support SJU in a similar manner?

Winning. Did you forget what country we live in? If St.John's wins, people will care. If they play like they did this year, people don't care if the program simply gets cancelled altogether.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
As always, the tournament was incredibly entertaining.  I was really impressed with Dayton's rebounding tenacity.  If SJU could only get after it, like they do.  The Uconn fans actively support their team.  Great win over a Big 10 team.  Pretty jealous, right now.  What would it take for our fans to support SJU in a similar manner?

Congrats UConn! With good guards & a solid coach, you can do wonders.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »

3 national titles in 15 years and a trip to the Final 4.

SJUFAN

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »

Good guard play, defense, and shooting 95% from the free throw line. We win a couple more games this year if we shot better from the charity stripe alone.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »

Good guard play, defense, and shooting 95% from the free throw line. We win a couple more games this year if we shot better from the charity stripe alone.
That's the trifecta

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
I've watched countless games in this tourny. The more I watch, the more irrelevant this program seems. Same goes for the Big East. It is what it is

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
Dominant guards and hustling big men seem to be the recipe for success this year. If we can get everyone to buy into defense like Uconn, we'll have the first part next year. 

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 06:33:46 PM »
My impression is the Garden should get a Final Four.

derk

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
When you watch so many games in this tournament you are reminded how crappy a game we play. Watching these teams pass the ball, and move around in the half court makes us look like we are standing still. What is so f'ing difficult to teach a team to move and pass the freaking ball.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »

Don't have the time to look it upo who said but someone called Kevin Ollie an idiot or dope on this site...    pretty comical...

desco80

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
Dominant guards and hustling big men seem to be the recipe for success this year. If we can get everyone to buy into defense like Uconn, we'll have the first part next year. 

To me the biggest revelation is well-rounded players.  A lot is made about our team's athleticism, and don't get me wrong, we are athletic.   But is Florida slow?  Is Michigan?  Louisville? UCONN?       I don't see it.   If they are less agile and can't jump as high, it's just barely.   
But what is noticeable, is that their role players are capable of more than just one skill - their shooters can also dribble enough to get themselves out of trouble, their bigs can hit an occasional 3 or foul shot, etc.     

And I mention this second, but it probably is the most distinguishing characteristic: they move the ball.   The teams that have advanced this far all move the ball exceptionally well.   

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »

Don't have the time to look it upo who said but someone called Kevin Ollie an idiot or dope on this site...    pretty comical...

Nothing comical about.  This is a Johnny fan site. Any curses or insults rendered at Ucan't scum is perfectly apropos. 

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 12:27:24 PM »
Albany!

They beat MSM ( the team that smoked Robert Morris ) in an incredible seesaw bout on a Tuesday night in Dayton.  Fly out of Dayton and arrive at their hotel about 7 am on Thursday.  Play the #1 seed in the entire tournament, Florida, in the afternoon on Friday - in Orlando!  When Will Brown was asked about the ridiculous scheduling in the press conference??? 'We are proud to represent our school and city in the Ncaa tournament.  We would play everyday if they let us. No complaints here from coach Brown.'

Down only 6 at half...tie the game up with 13 minutes remaining.  Played Florida as tough, if not tougher, than anybody else in the tournament to date. This team just gives and gives and gives...then gives more.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:31:26 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »

Can't take this from him.  Final Four...I'll admit I didn't see it coming.  Great job.

tnice

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
My single biggest impression is there sure seem to a whole bunch of teams that won a game or two in this tournament who aren't loaded with "TOP 100" talent, but seem to have been taught how to basketball pretty well...individually and collectively.

Where was Frank Kaminsky in the vaunted and all important Top 100?

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
My single biggest impression is there sure seem to a whole bunch of teams that won a game or two in this tournament who aren't loaded with "TOP 100" talent, but seem to have been taught how to basketball pretty well...individually and collectively.

Where was Frank Kaminsky in the vaunted and all important Top 100?

http://btn.com/2014/03/31/take-a-look-back-at-frank-kaminsky-the-3-star-recruit/

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »
For 2011, it looks more like it was Dunlap's team more than Lavin's.

Norm's players, but we all agree Norm was not taking that team to the NCAA's. It was either Lavin or Dunlap who took Hardy off the bench and put the rock in his hands for 94 feet. All but Evans bought in from the beginning. I remember an interview with Justin Burrell. He was talking about how Dunlap runs certain drills, and how someone else might run the practices. When asked about Lavin he said he really wasn't sure what Lavin does.

It took Lavin way too long to tighten his lineup and rotation. He had five extra games from the European tour. There weren't any great mysteries. Everyone practiced together the year before. And, this team still doesn't know how to win. The 2011 team had heart and pride. The 2014 team was in short supply of both.

cjfish

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »
the defining characteristics of winning in the tournament will always be consistent good D and crisp ball movement and movement without the ball.  Any team I saw without overwhelming talent had these characteristics, particularly the teams without the high-caliber recruits.  Of course, teams of this nature usually have good, intelligent guards.  Dayton, Albany, Providence, UConn, WISC, Fla embody this.  SJU had more talent than 1/2 the teams in the torney but played D inconsistently and had an offense that primarily stood around for 25-30 seconds and then went 1 on 1 and usually got a poor shot.  Not a recipe for success. They will have one of the best backcourts in the nation next year but I Cant help but be pessimistic.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »