Next year's leading scorer

• 42 replies

Foad

Re: Next year's leading scorer
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:40 AM »
Ellison hasn't been great, but he seems to me like the kind of guy that needs to make a few adjustments and he can be really good. He is already developing the ability to create his own shot, and he is big enough to play inside a bit. He's also pretty fast and has pretty good handles for a guy his size. I think his skill set just hasn't translated to the NCAA like Mussini, and say what you want about him, but he is averaging over 10+ a game.

I don't see how Mussini's skill set has translated particularly well to the NCAA - he allegedly does one thing well but hasn't so far actually managed it. If Ellison played 30 minutes a game he'd probably average 12 points on 30 percent shooting too. And we already know he can match Mussini's 1:1 A to TO ratio. Each is awful is his own way. At least Ellison has a basketball player's body. Mussini looks like one of the lollipop kids in comparison.

Fortunately both are freshmen. Unless freshmen are special you can't really tell anything about them. These two both seem to be the sort of 4-year player that you need to develop a program over the long haul. Under different circumstances - meaning if the previous coach hadn't stopped recruiting three years ago - there would be experienced upperclassmen who would be on the court now while the freshmen acclimated themselves to the college game. Because we have instead Christian Jones and Felix Balamou - neither of whom were heavily recruited and both of whom lack experience - the freshmen  are forced to take their lumps. In a real program neither Mussini or Ellison would see the floor until 2018.

MCNPA

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 08:09:59 AM »
+1 Foad.  These kids being asked to do too much, especially guys like Mussini and Ellison.  Both will improve, but we again will be grooming lots of freshmen next season, albeit more talented freshmen.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 11:04:08 AM »
Ellison hasn't been great, but he seems to me like the kind of guy that needs to make a few adjustments and he can be really good. He is already developing the ability to create his own shot, and he is big enough to play inside a bit. He's also pretty fast and has pretty good handles for a guy his size. I think his skill set just hasn't translated to the NCAA like Mussini, and say what you want about him, but he is averaging over 10+ a game.

I don't see how Mussini's skill set has translated particularly well to the NCAA - he allegedly does one thing well but hasn't so far actually managed it. If Ellison played 30 minutes a game he'd probably average 12 points on 30 percent shooting too. And we already know he can match Mussini's 1:1 A to TO ratio. Each is awful is his own way. At least Ellison has a basketball player's body. Mussini looks like one of the lollipop kids in comparison.

Fortunately both are freshmen. Unless freshmen are special you can't really tell anything about them. These two both seem to be the sort of 4-year player that you need to develop a program over the long haul. Under different circumstances - meaning if the previous coach hadn't stopped recruiting three years ago - there would be experienced upperclassmen who would be on the court now while the freshmen acclimated themselves to the college game. Because we have instead Christian Jones and Felix Balamou - neither of whom were heavily recruited and both of whom lack experience - the freshmen  are forced to take their lumps. In a real program neither Mussini or Ellison would see the floor until 2018.

Totally reasonable assessment.