Our Blue Uniforms

• 18 replies
Our Blue Uniforms
« on: February 28, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
Just a rant

Not a fan of our navy blue uniforms (or the grey ones).

We're the Red Storm.  Red and White should be most prominent.

Re: Our Blue Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
Blue storm

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
I 100 Percent agree. Why did we make the move to blue with the new re-branding and under armour? I miss the black uniforms. Honestly Nike was an all around better company. Wearing UnderArmour sneakers on the court also just looks silly as well.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »
Wearing UnderArmour sneakers on the court also just looks silly as well.

Wow
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
Nike gave 0 shits about us. Glad we have UA, the jerseys are much nicer under them. Nike never really tried with us. At least UA tries.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »
I 100 Percent agree. Why did we make the move to blue with the new re-branding and under armour? I miss the black uniforms. Honestly Nike was an all around better company. Wearing UnderArmour sneakers on the court also just looks silly as well.

This guy looks really silly too.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
Who gives a shit?

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
UA sponsorship and the UA sneakers seem fine...same for the throwback logo look but I don't think the navy blue or gray uniforms help w/ team identity especially with our team name having a reference to red in it. 

I know navy blue has been a historical secondary accent color but not sure how it gets top billing in a road uniform

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:25:09 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »
The Nike Jerseys were so much more fresh. Heck even Jordans (owned by Nike) are better.  I dont care what Steph wears, UA will always be a football company to me. Would much rather see us rocking Nike on the court in terms of gear and sneakers. 

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
The Nike Jerseys were so much more fresh. Heck even Jordans (owned by Nike) are better.  I dont care what Steph wears, UA will always be a football company to me. Would much rather see us rocking Nike on the court in terms of gear and sneakers. 

Nike was a track and field company to many.  Look where they went from there.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »

This is fresh? They slapped a St Johns logo on a random jersey profile and sent them out on the court.

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
Moose is 100% correct on Nike.  They are a case study in brand building. They strategically enter a new but similar segments slowly by starting off and dominating the core with the footwear in a sport and then once traction is built they can gradually penetrate with other apparel and equipment.  UA will likely replicate the formula also with a key in landing a big star in each spirt just like Nike did with Jordan, Bo Jackson, Tiger Woods.

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »
Interesting... I found this on the website redstormsports.com website

Shows blue as primary but a lot of the other boxes look black, probably just my eyes

St John's Athletic Dept Identity Style Guide

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/genrel/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/stjo-brand-guide-2015.pdf

http://www.redstormsports.com/school-bio/stjo-brand-identity.html
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:47:25 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 11:53:19 PM »
Yea, the black did look fresh. Gave us a tougher tone. Black, Red, and White mesh well together. Miss those jerseys.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Yea, the black did look fresh. Gave us a tougher tone. Black, Red, and White mesh well together. Miss those jerseys.

I guess the US should  think about changing our flag. Red, White, and Blue don't mesh well together.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »
Every school and professional team now has an alternate color. Look at the Mets, they have 6-7 different variations and color schemes throughout the season. Even the Lakers have added their Sunday white jerseys when playing at home. Unless you're an iconic team such as the Yanks or Giants, your team's marketing department and shoe company is going to look to add revenue with throwbacks, alternate jerseys, etc. If I were to guess, alternate's were in the language of the UA contract, further showcasing their brand while showing recruits new looks. Lavin ran with it, while Mullin has only used the alternate blue every now and then. I'm guessing there is a annual quota with UA.

What the St. John's marketing department can and needs to control is the signage. Carnesecca Court needs to be completely refurbished, and the school needs to rid itself of the block lettering that dominates the campus. The red and black block lettering from the Nike/Norm days simply doesn't match with the red, white, and blue old school UA font on mid/court and chest lettering of the current jersey respectively. It's looks terrible on TV, in person, you name it. Get a universal, consistent look and stick to it. Repainting the new court and ordering new stickers for the Garden can't be that expensive. Also, having 'Redstormsports.com' at each endline at the Garden is a terrible look. All of these are fixable issues that need to be addressed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:26:05 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
UA is an amazing company. I would like more of the red and white back, the blue can be an alternate like the black was

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »

I guess the US should  think about changing our flag. Red, White, and Blue don't mesh well together.

I was not speaking in regards to Patriotism, I meant it as fitting with our school tradition and color. The red, white, and black alternate fits us better in my opinion. Black is pretty bad ass too for jerseys

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »

I was not speaking in regards to Patriotism

I know and neither was I
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.