Meatballs

• 17 replies
Meatballs
« on: March 02, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
The rhetoric around here as of late is all "I hate Steve Lavin and would like to see how he enjoys waterboarding." or "I love Steve Lavin and want to have his babies."

I'm in the camp that appreciates what Hollywood accomplished here yet is thrilled to have the returning legend as head coach.  I must have significant company on this.  It's so sensible.

TONYD3

Re: Meatballs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »
The rhetoric around here as of late is all "I hate Steve Lavin and would like to see how he enjoys waterboarding." or "I love Steve Lavin and want to have his babies."

I'm in the camp that appreciates what Hollywood accomplished here yet is thrilled to have the returning legend as head coach.  I must have significant company on this.  It's so sensible.
That is where I want to be. I don't have blind faith. Sunday morining I watched the 45 minute interview on Mullin and was happy and proud he was our coach. Sunday afternoon I watched one of the worst games that I Could ever remember. I have said this many times, I can't believe any St. John's fan could possibly be rooting aginst Chris Mullin . Many of us including myself went to St. John's because of him.
I am going to the game with some family Saturday. Not expecting a win. But it would be nice if the team came out prepared and determined. Would love to give providence some payback.
We have 2 more games. It would be nice not to be embrassed in either of them.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »

That is where I want to be. I don't have blind faith. Sunday morining I watched the 45 minute interview on Mullin and was happy and proud he was our coach. Sunday afternoon I watched one of the worst games that I Could ever remember. I have said this many times, I can't believe any St. John's fan could possibly be rooting aginst Chris Mullin . Many of us including myself went to St. John's because of him.
I am going to the game with some family Saturday. Not expecting a win. But it would be nice if the team came out prepared and determined. Would love to give providence some payback.
Your best post ev va!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »

I hope you get that Tony.

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
Thanks guys. I hope we all are rewarded.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »

What does this have to do with Meatballs
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:50:22 PM »

Probably some kind of analogy to this movie with Bill Murray (per him saying, "camp").... 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:51:01 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »
My initial reaction was some thread about Lavin dining at Rao's..

luckily that was avoided .. Thanks Carmine !!!   

I agree with his sentiment.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 08:22:57 PM »
How about this camp, for which I think many people subscribe:

1.  Appreciate what Lavin did in the beginning, from taking Norm's kids on a run we didn't expect, to landing a top flight class off-the-bat with kids we never thought we'd get;

2.  Appreciate Years 3-5 for some memorable games and one NCAA appearance, but acknowledge that Lavin should have done much, much more with Years 4-5

3.  Irrespective of the above, find it deplorable that Lavin's recruiting the final 2 years left our roster in its current state, which would not have been much better (if at all), had he returned, meaning that we were going through yet another multi-year rebuild instead of maintaining the steady progress we should have had (and would have had) with any other competent staff that had the first few years of Lavin's tenure.

4.  Appreciate that our golden boy has returned to hopefully resurrect the program to the stability that Lavin should have achieved, and would have achieved if he did his job recruiting-wise the last 2 years.  And appreciate that our golden boy has 2 top-notch recruiters with him who are responsible for helping build some very successful programs.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:10 PM »

Probably some kind of analogy to this movie with Bill Murray (per him saying, "camp").... 

Or the movie Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »
He meant "myballs".  Typo.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »

Give that man a prize!

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »

1.  Appreciate what Lavin did in the beginning, from taking Norm's kids on a run we didn't expect, to landing a top flight class off-the-bat with kids we never thought we'd get;

2.  Appreciate Years 3-5 for some memorable games and one NCAA appearance, but acknowledge that Lavin should have done much, much more with Years 4-5

3.  Irrespective of the above, find it deplorable that Lavin's recruiting the final 2 years left our roster in its current state, which would not have been much better (if at all), had he returned, meaning that we were going through yet another multi-year rebuild instead of maintaining the steady progress we should have had (and would have had) with any other competent staff that had the first few years of Lavin's tenure.

4.  Appreciate that our golden boy has returned to hopefully resurrect the program to the stability that Lavin should have achieved, and would have achieved if he did his job recruiting-wise the last 2 years.  And appreciate that our golden boy has 2 top-notch recruiters with him who are responsible for helping build some very successful programs.

I like it.  With a slight and more detailed tweak of my camp - you've made it your own.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:19:38 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »

Theoretically he left Mullin with Jordan and Obekpa so blaming him (not that Mullin should be blamed either) for the roster is not 100% accurate.

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »

Theoretically he left Mullin with Jordan and Obekpa so blaming him (not that Mullin should be blamed either) for the roster is not 100% accurate.

That is assuming Jordan would have stayed on the team had Lavin returned, which I believe would have been a long shot.

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »

That is assuming Jordan would have stayed on the team had Lavin returned, which I believe would have been a long shot.

No you can't assume anything with Jordan and he would have left if Lavin had stayed. Just saying that Jordan leaving can't be really blamed on Lavin.

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
Safe to say the team would have been better this year had Lavin been retained.  Mullin did a creditable job putting together a decent squad in a short period of time.  Those players probably underachieved a bit, resulting in one of our worst teams ever.  Coaching was somewhat lacking due to the lack of experience.  (That some think Coach K or Cal wouldn't have gotten more out of them is ludicrous.).  Recruiting is looking like it will be even better going forward.  The coaching staff will gain experience.  All of that should result in success.

Can we just move on?  Same discussion everyday.  Same things said by the same posters over and over and over again.  Jeez!

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »
Safe to say the team would have been better this year had Lavin been retained.  Mullin did a creditable job putting together a decent squad in a short period of time.  Those players probably underachieved a bit, resulting in one of our worst teams ever.  Coaching was somewhat lacking due to the lack of experience.  (That some think Coach K or Cal wouldn't have gotten more out of them is ludicrous.).  Recruiting is looking like it will be even better going forward.  The coaching staff will gain experience.  All of that should result in success.

Can we just move on?  Same discussion everyday.  Same things said by the same posters over and over and over again.  Jeez!

+1 

By the way, don't ever pay attention to the person who made the comment in relation to Coach K/Calipari/Pitino vs. Mullin.  He's posted some real gems in the past few years.  I'll just leave it at that for now.