Who is the 5th starter next year?

• 15 replies
Who is the 5th starter next year?
« on: March 09, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
You have to assume it will be Sima, Yakwe, Ahmed and Lovett. I would like it to be Ponds but maybe Freudenberg goes to the three and Ahmed to the two. Or Ellison to get some size in backcourt?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:40:34 AM by we are sju »

Re: Who is the 5th starter next year?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »
Thon

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
Thon

Would be great but then that makes Sima the Backup Center and Owens obsolete. Not that I would be against that but don't see it
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:45:02 AM by we are sju »

hnk

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 10:48:57 AM »
Maybe, Sima and Yakwe don't both start.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
I would not be surprised if Sima comes off the bench. It really depends on what kind of improvement Ellison, Sima and Mussini make. None are penciled in anywhere. Next season, they could start Yakwe, Owens and Ahmed with Lovett and I'd like a grad student guard who is a lock down defender, and good distributor.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
You have to assume it will be Sima, Yakwe, Ahmed and Lovett. I would like it to be Ponds but maybe Freudenberg goes to the three and Ahmed to the two. Or Ellison to get some size in backcourt?

A lot of versatility, so me thinks it will be change according to the opponent and who is hot/showing growth.  Ponds will be very difficult to sit with his scoring and defensive potential--not a lot of the latter in the back court.  It's not often a top 40 kid doesn't play around 30 mpg joining a team that won three or less conference games the year before his arrival. 

As for Mussini, we really have short memories here.  Phil Greene got crapped on for two years because he was forced to play out of position and more minutes that he was suited for.  As an upperclassmen, the minutes dropped, he played a more appropriate role (spot-up shooter), he added some much-needed weight, and his shooting %'s went through the roof.  There is no reason to believe that Mussini cannot follow that path.  The FT shooting % is nasty and he has a very capable handle to be a killer at the end of games. He'll draw a lot more fouls when he spots up and guys close out reckless, allowing him to get into the lane with ease.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »

A lot of versatility, so me thinks it will be change according to the opponent and who is hot/showing growth.  Ponds will be very difficult to sit with his scoring and defensive potential--not a lot of the latter in the back court.

I think LoVett will be a fine defender.  Between him and Ponds, opposing guards will have to be very careful with the ball.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »

A lot of versatility, so me thinks it will be change according to the opponent and who is hot/showing growth.  Ponds will be very difficult to sit with his scoring and defensive potential--not a lot of the latter in the back court.  It's not often a top 40 kid doesn't play around 30 mpg joining a team that won three or less conference games the year before his arrival. 

As for Mussini, we really have short memories here.  Phil Greene got crapped on for two years because he was forced to play out of position and more minutes that he was suited for.  As an upperclassmen, the minutes dropped, he played a more appropriate role (spot-up shooter), he added some much-needed weight, and his shooting %'s went through the roof.  There is no reason to believe that Mussini cannot follow that path.  The FT shooting % is nasty and he has a very capable handle to be a killer at the end of games. He'll draw a lot more fouls when he spots up and guys close out reckless, allowing him to get into the lane with ease.

Despite being aphenphosmphobic, Greene looked the part of a two guard.  Mussini will find even greater difficulties at the two. Look best case scenario, it is a confidence thing and he knocks down some shots and will find a role. It would have helped him greatly if he could be a least a serviceable point guard

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »
aphenphosmphobic 

Man that's a good long word.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 03:59:52 PM »

Despite being aphenphosmphobic, Greene looked the part of a two guard.  Mussini will find even greater difficulties at the two. Look best case scenario, it is a confidence thing and he knocks down some shots and will find a role. It would have helped him greatly if he could be a least a serviceable point guard

What is a two-guard anymore in college?  Boatwright was 5'11.  Napier was 6'0.  Both were skinny.   It comes down to can the player do more damage than he allows.  As I've said before, I think this team is better suited for a zone and Mussini will be more than adequate out of that.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »
Deangelo Harrison is a 2 guard. Dwight hardy is a combo. Those are 2 our best. What is mussini?

derk

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »
With his size and experience I think it will be Ellinson to start the season over Ponds and the size Freud would bring. As they say though it's who finishes that counts.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:14 PM »
Jones
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:51:54 PM »
Deangelo Harrison is a 2 guard. Dwight hardy is a combo. Those are 2 our best. What is mussini?

D3

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »

What is a two-guard anymore in college?  Boatwright was 5'11.  Napier was 6'0.  Both were skinny.   It comes down to can the player do more damage than he allows.  As I've said before, I think this team is better suited for a zone and Mussini will be more than adequate out of that.

You would like your two guard to be athletic enough to be able finish on a fastbreak