Midway Through Season 2 @ 8-8

• 19 replies

QuanMan

Midway Through Season 2 @ 8-8
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »
The first 16 games have been a roller coaster of emotion, but as a fan you're having 10x more fun than last year and can see the YOY progression. There talent level is up, the crowd's are better, and we are starting to form a true program. 10-6 or 11-5 would've been ideal at this juncture, but the Cuse beatdown and Butler upset really compensated for the poor Thanksgiving stretch. Agree, disagree?

Goff seems to be aggressive, spirited, and hungry. CM, who had been critiqued without any reprieve after Penn St., showed true composure, wisdom and ability over the recent 3 game winning streak.

Last night was another great experience inside CA, we are starting to turn this around. Please post your big picture thoughts and arguments below, before the rest of our brutal stretch against the cream of the BE continues.
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

Re: Midway Through Season 2 @ 8-8
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »
Agree with a lot of what you said. Before the Cuse game I would have said I was very disappointed with the season but since then the coaches and the players seem to be improving. Two nice wins out of the gate in BE play are huge. I think we are definitely trending in the right direction and I think we will pull off another up or two down the stretch of the season. I am just looking for continued growth by the coaches and players. If we can add a big body to go along with Simon and Clark with everybody being a year older I think we can have a very nice squad next season.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
From the coaches to the players you can see improvement and confidence building around the team.  The bad stretch before the Syracuse game is looking like more and more like Mullin and the team trying to figure out how to play and coach...Last Year what experience did Mullin gain because his team was almost always outclassed.

This team looks like they believe they could win every game...coming back from 20 and not giving up shows a lot of positives...If only a few shots fell in and they made a couple of stops, this game could have really gone down to the wire and been a toss up. I can see the building process of this team and I do believe this team will be better next year.

Does anyone think that somebody talked to Mullin after the Penn game to counsel him, or coach him up? Something like Louie pulling him off to the side and having an In depth conversation with him. 
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
All I wanted was a season. I am very happy that we are getting one. I was most critical of the coach. I think he certainly deserved the criticism. Honestly I am shocked by the turnaround. Mullin seems like a different person out there. Very much in control of the team. He didn't look like a rookie coach last night. Definitely a fun night.  We have a talented team that is getting better. If everyone stays the next few years will be fun .

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
Big picture I'm a die hard St. John's fan so I expect nothing but gloom and doom for the remainder of this season and forevermore.

I will back this coach, a hero of mine, no matter what happens.

Shamorie and Marcus are extremely talented and exciting players to watch.  I look forward to watching what they can do as juniors and seniors.

Unfortunately, I missed the entire ranked teams play Alumni hall tour but it sounded loud and looked like fun on the tele.  It's encouraging to see a sell out and near sell out there consecutively.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:45:22 PM by carmineabbatiello »

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »
Truth is we are the second youngest team in the country but we aren't playing like one.  Definite improvement in both coaching and our team.  Let's face it, Mullin needs a long leash here because  he needs time to build a roster but also find his coaching style.  He entered with no coaching experience, but the positive is that there isn't anything he hasn't seen on the basketball court.  He's learning and developing a coaching style and that is fine.  It takes some time transitioning from Mullin the coach/gm to a teacher and director on the sidelines.  I think he's gonna be successful in the long run but needs time.  We are definitely improving.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
I gotta say Mullin has surprised me. At first the whole sitting and sitting on the scorers table thing that happened during last season I thought was interesting and didn't think it was a great look but I gave it a pass. But right after the Penn State game I noticed he is ALWAYS up, always talking and always engaging the players. I don't know what happened but he has improved 10 fold to the point where people on other message boards claim Mullin outcoached them.

They have game plans as well. They might not have executed well last night but they had a plan. Creighton is just a really really good team. The next couple games will be rough but I'm excited about where we are headed. We were worried the players weren't improved from last season but now it's really only Yakwe who is playing below the level he was at last year.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
I gotta say Mullin has surprised me. At first the whole sitting and sitting on the scorers table thing that happened during last season I thought was interesting and didn't think it was a great look but I gave it a pass. But right after the Penn State game I noticed he is ALWAYS up, always talking and always engaging the players. I don't know what happened but he has improved 10 fold to the point where people on other message boards claim Mullin outcoached them.

They have game plans as well. They might not have executed well last night but they had a plan. Creighton is just a really really good team. The next couple games will be rough but I'm excited about where we are headed. We were worried the players weren't improved from last season but now it's really only Yakwe who is playing below the level he was at last year.

Many great points here. I hated the way he sat on the scorers table last year, and was barely standing on the sidelines during the game; St. Jean was doing most of the calling out of plays/defensive schemes. This year he's much more vocal, and is often told by refs to move back/get off the court. It was obvious that Sima regressed this season, and no doubt Chris was able to help both Sima, and in turn, our program, decide to transfer.

I previously was not a fan of Ellison and he's taken an obvious step forward this season with both his shooting and just overall comfort level within big east college basketball. I figure Mullin has a lot to do with that. Gives me hope that Freudenberg has a chance to improve here, unlike Hooper & Bourgault.

redslope

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:33:12 PM »

Many great points here. I hated the way he sat on the scorers table last year, and was barely standing on the sidelines during the game; St. Jean was doing most of the calling out of plays/defensive schemes. This year he's much more vocal, and is often told by refs to move back/get off the court. It was obvious that Sima regressed this season, and no doubt Chris was able to help both Sima, and in turn, our program, decide to transfer.

I previously was not a fan of Ellison and he's taken an obvious step forward this season with both his shooting and just overall comfort level within big east college basketball. I figure Mullin has a lot to do with that. Gives me hope that Freudenberg has a chance to improve here, unlike Hooper & Bourgault.
I agree Mullin is much more into game.  His use of last time out one minute in to second half seemed like what is he doing.  But looking back I think he was spot on.  Team came out flat so in came D Wii and T/O and 20 seconds or so later in came Rico and the team seemed to come alive as they were down 24 and played the last 18 minutes with a lot of energy and did not mail it in.

QuanMan

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »

I agree Mullin is much more into game.  His use of last time out one minute in to second half seemed like what is he doing.  But looking back I think he was spot on.  Team came out flat so in came D Wii and T/O and 20 seconds or so later in came Rico and the team seemed to come alive as they were down 24 and played the last 18 minutes with a lot of energy and did not mail it in.

Mullin knows and has always known what he's been doing. The guy is a lifer of the highest degree, anyone who doubts his insticts and knowledge is only fooling themselves.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
Extremely positive of the position we are in.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »
Truth is we are the second youngest team in the country but we aren't playing like one.  Definite improvement in both coaching and our team.  Let's face it, Mullin needs a long leash here because  he needs time to build a roster but also find his coaching style.  He entered with no coaching experience, but the positive is that there isn't anything he hasn't seen on the basketball court.  He's learning and developing a coaching style and that is fine.  It takes some time transitioning from Mullin the coach/gm to a teacher and director on the sidelines.  I think he's gonna be successful in the long run but needs time.  We are definitely improving.

All I wanted was improvement, after the psu game I wasn't sure that we'd see any this year.
What a pleasant surprise. Yeah they were down 24pnts to Creighton, but they kept battling and cut it to 8.  We are seeing some promising things from thes guys.
I'm definitely enjoying this ride this year.  Things are moving in the right direction.

Next year it's game on.  This year just sit back, relax, chill, and watch the kids grow.

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »

Mullin knows and has always known what he's been doing. The guy is a lifer of the highest degree, anyone who doubts his insticts and knowledge is only fooling themselves.
The 3 Europeans and Williams lineup proved this .

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
poor decision making at it's finest when they put that group on the floor together so early in game.

I did not expect them to win, but what is allowed to repetetively transpire at times is maddening.  The inexperience excuse can only stretch so far for some of the really dumb things this team does on the court.   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:19:30 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:15 PM »
I did not expect them to win, but what is allowed to repetetively transpire at times is maddening.  The inexperience excuse can only stretch so far for some of the really dumb things this team does on the court. 

Exactly!

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »
LoVett needs to learn that he can not split a double team like he did in High School.

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
LoVett needs to learn that he can not split a double team like he did in High School.

Drives me crazy wit that.

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »

Lovett 's dribble split is like Ahmed spasm drive.

The one or two times it goes in doesn't make up for all the failed attempts to make it worth repeating. But somehow they are allowed to.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:27:02 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »

The one or two times it goes in doesn't make up for all the failed attempts to make it worth repeating. But somehow they are allowed to.

Disagree.  He just put up 32 against a ranked team on the road.  Going 10 - 14; 4 - 7 from three; and 8 - 8 from the line. Whatever the heck he feels like he has to do to make it happen is fine by me. 

Forget the green light.  He should have an emerald light.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »

I don't think anyone likes it. It's that same part of Showtime's game that was never necessary, and so rarely helped the team win.