Bethune Cookman - Player of the Game

• 18 replies

desco80

Bethune Cookman - Player of the Game
« on: November 11, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »
1st poll of the new season.... *edit: stats added

I was definitely impressed by Owens productivity in limited playing time.  But I'll vote for Lovett.  I think he'll win a lot of these polls over the next few seasons.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:13:13 PM by desco80 »

Re: Bethune Cookman - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 11:48:53 PM »
1st poll of the new season.... I'll add stats when I get to a computer.

I was definitely impressed by Owens productivity in limited playing time.  But I'll vote for Lovett.  I think he'll win a lot of these polls over the next few seasons.
Lovett: 19pnts, 7ssts, only 1 TO .

About the same vs. Binghamton.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
I voted Lovett.... but Mussini played with a lot of confidence too.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:18:22 AM »
I went with Mussini. Played steady and confident. Big difference when we have a legit pg

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 12:23:07 AM »
I voted Lovett.... but Mussini played with a lot of confidence too.

5-6 from 3

ras

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 12:43:37 AM »
Mussini has looked great this year shooting. But Lovett scored  and really did an outstanding job facilitating the offense. He got my vote.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:22:03 AM »
How could it not be Lovett? He's the type of player we haven't had in a while.  Great court vision, explosive to the basket, and can shoot better than advertised.  I'm not sure how his size will affect his game when playing bigger more physical guards, but looks like he's the most important player on the team.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 08:19:25 AM »
How could it not be Lovett? He's the type of player we haven't had in a while.  Great court vision, explosive to the basket, and can shoot better than advertised.  I'm not sure how his size will affect his game when playing bigger more physical guards, but looks like he's the most important player on the team.
Erik Barkley is almost 40, yes it's been a while

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
Marcus Lovett will make this team go this year, and will make everyone better.

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »
On a team that last year turned the ball over consistently, we have a true PG who is crafty, shoots better than I thought, dishes and drives, sets pace & for all the time he has the ball, rarely turns it over. Small sample, but we'll be penciling him in for outstanding player more often than not. Love this kid. 

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »

Size won't be an issue.  Look at Creighton's Marcus Foster.  Lovett is very similar.  In addition he put in real time in the weight room and gained a lot of muscle since last year.  I saw him finish after contact on a drive yesterday.  He's like a bowling ball out there, and his speed and handle make up for a lot.  Lovett was skinny like Ponds when coming to SJU last season.

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »
On a team that last year turned the ball over consistently, we have a true PG who is crafty, shoots better than I thought, dishes and drives, sets pace & for all the time he has the ball, rarely turns it over. Small sample, but we'll be penciling him in for outstanding player more often than not. Love this kid. 

He has multiple speeds and his handle is insane.  He rips accurate passes and is very mature out there on the court.  Very impressed so far.

Wods317

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »
It's Lovett. In addition to Lovett though Mussini was great and Owens was very effective on both ends. Yesterday showed how important having a true point guard is. Lovett sees the floor well and can also pass, dribble and shoot very well.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
I think Marcus Lovett was the most impressive player of the game. The ball handling, scoring, and distribution was something that St. John's hasn't had in a long time. Maybe a healthy Daryl Hill was the last time you've seen something similar.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 11:16:06 AM »

He has multiple speeds and his handle is insane.  He rips accurate passes and is very mature out there on the court.  Very impressed so far.

+1

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
Lovett & whoever coaches FT's
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
Watching Lovett really makes one smile. He can really pass and makes everyone look better. Mussini has been a pleasant surprise this year,I didn't expect much, but he will get his share of points. Owens was also was a pleasant surprise. I think RF is going to be solid , but IMO he had jitters last night and we didn't see the real RF. Lot of depth. It will be interesting to see what starting lineup Mullin will  decide on. Although we played a patsy , we looked so much better than last year.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 06:33:49 PM »
Love it!

5 for 6 from three is nothing to sneeze at but 7/1 assist turnover ratio sealed it for me.

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 11:11:11 PM »
Lovett & whoever coaches FT's

Great point about the free throws. How about Yakwe and Sima went a combined 8/10! I noticed Sima's new stroke and confidence at the line immediately during the exhibition game and saw more of the same last night, you can tell he's worked hard at it.