NIKE Peach Jam

• 18 replies
NIKE Peach Jam
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »
I've been at the Peach Jam the past two days (didn't stay for the evening session today) and I'm fairly exhausted.  lol   I had the chance to briefly converse with Q(uattlebaum) and he's been back-and-forth between Aiken, SC and North Augusta, SC.

There is another tournament going on in Aiken, SC and Malik Stith is playing in that particular tournament....  Word is Stith is playing pretty solidly in the tournament in Aiken, SC....  I was contemplating on making a stop at the tourney in Aiken on my way home, but decided to just continue my journey to the house....  Maybe, we'll hear more about Stith's play at the tourney in Aiken within the coming days.

I also had the chance to briefly converse with Tom Konchalski, Johnny Dawkins and Jeff Capel....  All seem to be good people on the surface....  I wanted to ask Konchalski another question or two, but a few people ended up sitting between us and I never got the chance.  lol

To the Peach Jam....  The best players I've witnessed (no particular order):  John Wall, Tommy Mason-Griffin, Xavier Henry, Daniel Orton, Keith Gallon, DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Dawkins, Marcus Jordan, Kendall Marshall and several others (I'm a bit tired and probably is forgetting a few others or didn't know their name from the jump).

I'll try and get back down there on tomorrow....  If, not then I'll return on the final day, which is Tuesday....  I'll attempt to give info on anything I've mentioned in this thread and hopefully, some other news on tomorrow or Tuesday.

Later!

Re: NIKE Peach Jam
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:17:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing mj. What teams did you happen to catch play? Was there anyone you weren't impressed with? Who was Q watching?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »
Nice job, MJ. It's a shame you couldn't catch Stith.
Did you talk with any of the Georgetown coaches?

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing mj. What teams did you happen to catch play? Was there anyone you weren't impressed with? Who was Q watching?

I, pretty much saw every team in the field play at some point with the exception of the 16u teams (though, I should've watched 'em, as there were some top-notch talent and good games)....  I couldn't remember some of the players names due to fatigue and I just didn't know who they were from the jump (lol).....  The other players who I forgot to mention were D.J. Richardson (nailing 3's, as if his life was on the line), Royce White, Terrance Boyd, Kyle Hardrick and the likes.

As, far as anyone there who I wasn't impressed with....  Hmmmmmmm.... Not sure, as it's kinda hard to figure out who is who.... You either have to remember a face (from seeing it online) or someone in the stands or lobby might tell you which player(s) are playing on a particular team....  The media guide runs $275.00!  Yes!  So, you have an idea where that money is going.

Q was mainly focused on the NY Gauchos (17u & 16u)....  I'm not sure whether he or Roberts were looking at other club teams....  Yes!  I ran into Roberts in the lobby, but we just waved at one another and kept it moving....  I've never officially met Roberts, but I met Q a couple of years ago and spoke at length with him a handful of times.

I'll try to make it back down there later today or tomorrow morning.... Hopefully, I'll be able to gather more info about a few players.

Oh!  By the way, I wasn't impressed with John Wall's jumper....  It stinks like a bucket of chitlins'!  He's the goods, as he can get past anyone (blazingly fast); can rebound; blocks shots; handle the rock (even, in traffic); heckuva leaper (can easily dunk with his left hand) and finds the open man(with nifty looks & passes).....  I've been consistently watching high school basketball for over 20 years and he's the fastest player with the ball (in his hands) that I've seen on the high school level--ever!

I thought a couple of years ago that Derrick Rose was the fastest kid I've seen with the ball in his hands on the h.s. level until this past weekend when I witnessed Wall....  Actually, their (Rose & Wall) games mimicks one another....  They are basically the same type of players, imo....  Rose jumper is probably a bit better (which, isn't saying much), but Wall is probably a tad faster than Rose....  All-in-all, I expect Wall to be a one-and-doner (as, like Rose).

Take care, folk!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:59:42 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »
Nice job, MJ. It's a shame you couldn't catch Stith.
Did you talk with any of the Georgetown coaches?

Yeah, I wanted to see Stith, but my g/f was with myself on Saturday and we went and chilled out at a restaurant and a park during the downtime at the Peach Jam.....  Yesterday, I was a bit tired during the downtime at the Peach Jam and decided to bypass the Aiken exits and head home.

I didn't even know Stith was participating in the tournament in Aiken 'til Q told me on Saturday when I saw him coming through the doors at the Peach Jam.....  Hopefully, we'll hear more about Stith's play at that particular tournament in the coming days.

Nah!  I didn't speak with any of the "Hated Hoyas" coaches....  I saw two of their assistant coaches, but didn't say anything to 'em....  Who cares about the hated rival!?!  LOL  Just clownin'! 

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »
thanks MJ...always look forward to your Peach Jam reports...that's definitely some high praise for Wall!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
thanks MJ...always look forward to your Peach Jam reports...that's definitely some high praise for Wall!

You're welcome, jumpinjohnny!  Thanks! 

As, far as Wall....  He has pretty good form on his jumper, as it's more of a set-shot, but he isn't efficient enough with his 'j.'  Other than that, I'm a fan of his game!  He didn't have one of the better players--not only on his team, but in the nation--playing with him during the Peach Jam....  His name is Ryan Kelly....  He's one of the top 25-30 players in the nation, but he's in Argentina with the U18 USA National Team....  Otherwise, Wall would've been even more efficient.

Once again.... Thanks, jumpinjohnny.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »

I, pretty much saw every team in the field play at some point with the exception of the 16u teams (though, I should've watched 'em, as there were some top-notch talent and good games)....  I couldn't remember some of the players names due to fatigue and I just didn't know who they were from the jump (lol).....  The other players who I forgot to mention were D.J. Richardson (nailing 3's, as if his life was on the line), Royce White, Terrance Boyd, Kyle Hardrick and the likes.

As, far as anyone there who I wasn't impressed with....  Hmmmmmmm.... Not sure, as it's kinda hard to figure out who is who.... You either have to remember a face (from seeing it online) or someone in the stands or lobby might tell you which player(s) are playing on a particular team....  The media guide runs $275.00!  Yes!  So, you have an idea where that money is going.

Q was mainly focused on the NY Gauchos (17u & 16u)....  I'm not sure whether he or Roberts were looking at other club teams....  Yes!  I ran into Roberts in the lobby, but we just waved at one another and kept it moving....  I've never officially met Roberts, but I met Q a couple of years ago and spoke at length with him a handful of times.

I'll try to make it back down there later today or tomorrow morning.... Hopefully, I'll be able to gather more info about a few players.

Oh!  By the way, I wasn't impressed with John Wall's jumper....  It stinks like a bucket of chitlins'!  He's the goods, as he can get past anyone (blazingly fast); can rebound; blocks shots; handle the rock (even, in traffic); heckuva leaper (can easily dunk with his left hand) and finds the open man(with nifty looks & passes).....  I've been consistently watching high school basketball for over 20 years and he's the fastest player with the ball (in his hands) that I've seen on the high school level--ever!

I thought a couple of years ago that Derrick Rose was the fastest kid I've seen with the ball in his hands on the h.s. level until this past weekend when I witnessed Wall....  Actually, their (Rose & Wall) games mimicks one another....  They are basically the same type of players, imo....  Rose jumper is probably a bit better (which, isn't saying much), but Wall is probably a tad faster than Rose....  All-in-all, I expect Wall to be a one-and-doner (as, like Rose).

Take care, folk!

Much respct fo goin outta yo way for the benefits of us.
Heard the same bout Wall from my peeps down there. Fastest brother I seen wit the ball is as follows:

1) Kenny Anderson
2) Allen Iverson
3) Pearl 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »
Heard the same bout Wall from my peeps down there. Fastest brother I seen wit the ball is as follows:

1) Kenny Anderson
2) Allen Iverson
3) Pearl 

No problem, Choz....  I, approximately live about an hour from the site of the Peach Jam tournament.....  So, it isn't too bad of a drive....  Can be draining after a long day of continuously walking around the gym; watching games and chit-chatting with folks.

I never saw Kenny Anderson, Allen Iverson nor Pearl Washington play in high school....  I was able to witness those guys (on tv) once they entered college....  I can tell you one thing:  Wall looks faster than Iverson (who I thought was the fastest player I had ever seen with the ball in his hands) from what I've witnessed of Wall (live and in person).

If, Wall becomes a fairly decent jumpshooter--watch out!!  As, I mentioned in an earlier post:  The form is there on his shot....  He just needs to be able to hit a fair amount from the arc.

Hey!  Put him on a team with some finishers and he could dominate a game without scoring much. 

Another kid to watch out for:  Tommy Mason-Griffin....  Gave Wall all he could handle....  He's about 4" inches shorter than Wall, but he's built like a tank and can heat up like Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson.... He has a killer floater that he'll go to from 12" out, if need be....  TMG has had a fabulous showing at the Peach Jam for the Houston Hoops club team.

Once again, I'll attempt to make it back on tomorrow and give out any new info.   Later!

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »

1) Kenny Anderson
2) Allen Iverson
3) Pearl 

No problem, Choz....  I, approximately live about an hour from the site of the Peach Jam tournament.....  So, it isn't too bad of a drive....  Can be draining after a long day of continuously walking around the gym; watching games and chit-chatting with folks.

I never saw Kenny Anderson, Allen Iverson nor Pearl Washington play in high school....  I was able to witness those guys (on tv) once they entered college....  I can tell you one thing:  Wall looks faster than Iverson (who I thought was the fastest player I had ever seen with the ball in his hands) from what I've witnessed of Wall (live and in person).

If, Wall becomes a fairly decent jumpshooter--watch out!!  As, I mentioned in an earlier post:  The form is there on his shot....  He just needs to be able to hit a fair amount from the arc.

Hey!  Put him on a team with some finishers and he could dominate a game without scoring much. 

Another kid to watch out for:  Tommy Mason-Griffin....  Gave Wall all he could handle....  He's about 4" inches shorter than Wall, but he's built like a tank and can heat up like Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson.... He has a killer floater that he'll go to from 12" out, if need be....  TMG has had a fabulous showing at the Peach Jam for the Houston Hoops club team.

Once again, I'll attempt to make it back on tomorrow and give out any new info.   Later!

Kenny Anderson is the best High School basketball player Ive ever seen

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »

1) Kenny Anderson
2) Allen Iverson
3) Pearl 

Once again, I'll attempt to make it back on tomorrow and give out any new info.   Later!

Kenny Anderson is the best High School basketball player Ive ever seen

I second that in a split second heartbeat.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:13 AM »
Here's a link from Bob Gibbons (who I saw several times) via ESPN.....  There is also mention of Malik Stith in the Peach State Tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3485961

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 01:10:23 PM »
MJ...did you get a chance to look at Durand Scott or Dan Jennings from the Gauchos at all?

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »
MJ...did you get a chance to look at Durand Scott or Dan Jennings from the Gauchos at all?
They lost three times.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »

The Gauchos seemed to be playing (when I was there) the same time the SC Ravens (I'm cool with their coach) were playing, so I only saw small portions of Scott and Jennings....  I also believe Doron Lamb plays for the Gauchos, as well.

I know Scott got hit with a critical "T" during the latter stages of the Gauchos game against BABC (UCONN commits, Alex Okiahri (sp?) and Jamaal Coombs play with BABC) on Saturday night....  I couldn't get a good grip of Scott nor Jennings game by the small portions that I witnessed.

As, Sleaveless Guy said, "They lost three times...."  So, they didn't even make it to pool play....  Boo Williams, Houston Hoops, BABC and California Supreme were the final four teams standing at the Peach Jam for the 17u teams.... With Boo Williams and BABC moving on to tonight's championship game @ 8pm.

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »

The Gauchos seemed to be playing (when I was there) the same time the SC Ravens (I'm cool with their coach) were playing, so I only saw small portions of Scott and Jennings....  I also believe Doron Lamb plays for the Gauchos, as well.

I know Scott got hit with a critical "T" during the latter stages of the Gauchos game against BABC (UCONN commits, Alex Okiahri (sp?) and Jamaal Coombs play with BABC) on Saturday night....  I couldn't get a good grip of Scott nor Jennings game by the small portions that I witnessed.

As, Sleaveless Guy said, "They lost three times...."  So, they didn't even make it to pool play....  Boo Williams, Houston Hoops, BABC and California Supreme were the final four teams standing at the Peach Jam for the 17u teams.... With Boo Williams and BABC moving on to tonight's championship game @ 8pm.
Two kids in addition to Wall and Mason-Griffin that are blazing fast are junior Phil Pressey of BABC and Kenny Boynton of Team Breakdown. Boo Williams is going to have a nice young backcourt with Kendall Marshall and  Andre Dawkins.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »

MJ...TMG just verballed to Oklahoma