Disrespect from Bleacher Report

• 38 replies
Re: Disrespect from Bleacher Report
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 06:58:15 PM »
The players are going to feel the pressure no matter what anyone writes, but why would anyone want them to feel more of it? What good does it do if Bleacher Report says that we should finish 3rd? This team has zero credibility.

Poison, you are hurting people's feelings

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
"Expect very little and be surprised; Expect a lot and you wind up divorced".
Coach Lapchick and Coach Lou would have loved this ranking; I am almost certain that Chrisy will love it as well.

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
I got the whole motivation thing, but there comes a point when this is just nonsense now and reflects badly on the program as a whole.  Its like they did not do any research at all into these rankings and our recruits.

You can tell me with a straight face that some of our top players- Lovett (a top prospect), Ahmed (who has juco experience), Yakwe (very talented and only will get better), Owens ( good prospect also has experience albeit limited),  Sima (shown flashes before injury), Ponds (great prospect), RF (solid big essentially 4 star) will finish 9th in BE?

Thats a joke. This post was not about the merits of motivating tools its how the nation views our program. I for one am angry that we are viewed this way by a mainstream source. No reason we cannot be predicted to finish at least 6th in BE. 

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »
Good.  We haven't won an NCAA game in 17 years.  Respect is earned.  I'd rather have us surprise.

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 02:10:01 AM »
Why Creighton third?  Does the coach have another son?

LoganK

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 06:27:30 AM »
I got the whole motivation thing, but there comes a point when this is just nonsense now and reflects badly on the program as a whole.  Its like they did not do any research at all into these rankings and our recruits.

You can tell me with a straight face that some of our top players- Lovett (a top prospect), Ahmed (who has juco experience), Yakwe (very talented and only will get better), Owens ( good prospect also has experience albeit limited),  Sima (shown flashes before injury), Ponds (great prospect), RF (solid big essentially 4 star) will finish 9th in BE?

Thats a joke. This post was not about the merits of motivating tools its how the nation views our program. I for one am angry that we are viewed this way by a mainstream source. No reason we cannot be predicted to finish at least 6th in BE. 

8-24 (1-17) including losing 21 of our last 22 games.

That's a pretty big reason to not be projected as the 6th best team in a conference where all but three teams are coming off 20 win seasons.  Again, I can understand thinking we'll finish 6th, but I also can't fault someone for picking us anywhere else until we prove something.

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 08:00:18 AM »
We sucked, can't do worse, have a better & deeper roster it appears, but even with weak out of conference schedule, be happy with 16 wins & a better subsequent 17 season.

QuanMan

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »
The blurb makes total sense, we were on the verge of a 22 game losing streak sans the DePaul win and then lost our 4 of our top scorers in the offseason.

I'm glad that the writer is well aware of Bash though. Arguably the JUCO POY, people are sleeping on his abilities. He's going to be our emotional and physical leader. Rich has me most excited but Bash is going to carry this team.

I fully expect us to be ahead of DePaul and Providence, while contending with Hall and Marquette, and competing with Butler in the bottom half of the standings for the majority of the Winter. GTown, Xavier, and Nova are deeper, older, and tougher, but we'll be knocking off atleast one of them off on either side of the home/home. Creighton is a complete mystery to me, and I never believe in their soft players.

I forsee the team having speed bumps and growing pains, but the light at the end of the tunnel will be very bright all season. We'll start to believe in their talent as the season moves along. This is the perfect NIT season IMO, any bubble talk is gravy. Incremental improvement, hammer to rock as Lavs would say.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
The blurb makes total sense, we were on the verge of a 22 game losing streak sans the DePaul win and then lost our 4 of our top scorers in the offseason.

I'm glad that the writer is well aware of Bash though. Arguably the JUCO POY, people are sleeping on his abilities. He's going to be our emotional and physical leader. Rich has me most excited but Bash is going to carry this team.

I fully expect us to be ahead of DePaul and Providence, while contending with Hall and Marquette, and competing with Butler in the bottom half of the standings for the majority of the Winter. GTown, Xavier, and Nova are deeper, older, and tougher, but we'll be knocking off atleast one of them off on either side of the home/home. Creighton is a complete mystery to me, and I never believe in their soft players.

I forsee the team having speed bumps and growing pains, but the light at the end of the tunnel will be very bright all season. We'll start to believe in their talent as the season moves along. This is the perfect NIT season IMO, any bubble talk is gravy. Incremental improvement, hammer to rock as Lavs would say.

Hammer to rock for Lavs was more like ass to couch.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »

Hammer to rock for Lavs was more like ass to couch.

pasta to mouth.

Wods317

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »
We won one conference game last year. This guy clearly isn't an expert on the Big East so not shocking he would pick us 9th. We should be better but who knows if this roster will come together enough to make it to the middle of the pack. The conference will be deep with year and I think 6-7th would be a pretty fair prediction for this season.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 01:22:47 PM »
This team can definitely finish 9th but I'd expect them to be better. I think between 5-7 is probably realistic. 5 being incredible and 7 being slightly below where I hoped.

I do think this team is more talented than DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall.

Villanova and Xavier are clear cut 1-2 once again. Everyone else is beatable.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
Would 5 get us in March Madness?

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »

Would certainly make the last few weeks mean something.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
This team can definitely finish 9th but I'd expect them to be better. I think between 5-7 is probably realistic. 5 being incredible and 7 being slightly below where I hoped.

I do think this team is more talented than DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall.

Villanova and Xavier are clear cut 1-2 once again. Everyone else is beatable.

Not sure how you can say we're more talented than Seton Hall. Carrington is better than any of our guards, Delgado is better than any of our bigs, and they have solid role players surrounding those 2 guys also

Foad

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 05:11:36 PM »
I do think this team is more talented than ... Seton Hall.

wut

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »
Virtually no one has seen most of these players in action...and probably no one from Bleacher Report.  I'll wait until midnight madness to make a prediction.

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 11:28:45 PM »

Would certainly make the last few weeks mean something.

Would be pleasantly surprised if we made the NCAA tourney. Probably NIT bound. Still a lot of newcomers that will be heavily relied upon. Too much to ask, they are more talented, but they need a year of Big East basketball under their belt. Next year we finish top 3-4 in the league and dance.

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 11:30:02 PM »
Another fun one from the way back...
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle