Game 8: Mount St. Mary's

• 88 replies
Re: Game 8: Mount St. Mary's
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
A win is a win, but with dynamic rankings such as KenPom and NET having more and more influence on tournament selection, it would be helpful if we could win these games by respectable margins. Especially considering our weak schedule.

Marillac

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
Some takeaways win is a win 8-0
1. Played awful defensively and this habbit is going to be hard to break
2. Simon and Clark played very well tonight
3. Mustapha way to. Much 1-1 ball not liking his game right now
4. Ponds looked to only pass tonight and ya that will help him there was times he had wide open layups he just needs to take
5. Trimble is awful give Williams his minutes
6. We need Keita back or we are in trouble big east play
7. Love Liz Mullin throwing shade at the baby Zach on Twitter

Let’s go beat Princeton

What did she tweet?

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
A win is a win, but with dynamic rankings such as KenPom and NET having more and more influence on tournament selection, it would be helpful if we could win these games by respectable margins. Especially considering our weak schedule.

Well, the NET only counts margin of victory up to 10, so we beat that. 

I don't know how Kenpom calculates things like that, if they even do at all.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »
Well, the NET only counts margin of victory up to 10, so we beat that. 

I don't know how Kenpom calculates things like that, if they even do at all.

I believe it also calculates margin of victory indirectly through offensive and defensive efficiency.

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
I believe it also calculates margin of victory indirectly through offensive and defensive efficiency.

Yes, and that kind of contradicts itself.  There should be an efficiency cutoff at some point, too.  We ended the UMES game with a unit on the floor consisting of Roberts, Williams, Earlington, Cole, and Camus.  No way is offensive efficiency going to be as good with those guys on the floor, so the number for that went down.  Yet, they say they don't want teams to run up the score.

Poison

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2018, 02:31:47 PM »
Trimble has really struggled. We can all see that. But he did hit two threes last night and his defense has improved.

Let’s give him a little time.

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »
I don't suscribe to the we didn't win the game by enough mentality. That's for the punters. There were positives. Trimble and Williams together hit 3 threes. Hammer broke out of the funk.  The ball moved.  Nobody got hurt.

We're 8 -0 and probably one of only 10 or less remaining undefeateds. I'll worry about the Big East when it get's here.

Seriously, can we start bitching after we lose? sheesh!

Marillac

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2018, 04:59:31 PM »
Seriously, can we start bitching after we lose? sheesh!

That may take a while and these people need to project their life problems onto a basketball team now.

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2018, 05:42:14 PM »
yes.  they maxed out the scoring margin component by winning by ten and also get a boost because their  efficiency (ORtg - DRtg) in the mount game was ~20 (which is good!).  they could have padded the efficiency stats even more by playing some defense early in the game, but they won so on to the next one.