After 10 Games

• 32 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: After 10 Games
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
From Marillac
Don’t wanna get too far off topic but Malcolm Gladwell has a podcast called Revisionist History, one episode covers underhanded foul shots and why they aren’t more widely used. The soft conclusion is that they look silly and the macho men on the court would rather look good and fail than weird and succeed.
You got it right but recall Ric Barry may be the best there ever was at the foul line. And Deng Xiaoping who once said " black cat white cat, it does not matter along as the cat catches mice". In basketball underhand or one hand, it only counts went the ball goes through the hoop.

Awesome podcast and awesome episode. It is amazing how many points are left off the boards because of man pride.
Cougar O' Malley

Foad

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 06:30:31 PM »
Malcolm Gladwell

Dumb, even for a Canadian.

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »

He’s certainly skilled at narrow interpretations of information to suit his objective, but I find his work/research interesting regardless. His short form pieces tend to be very good as they usually are just information presentation instead of narrative synthesization.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »
I know everyone thinks the schedule is soft and in large it hasn't been gauntlet but after 10 games you should be seeing trends and identity in this team. What's something(s) you've noticed about this team after 10 games?

I'll start by saying this team does't panic. I think this is a reflection of Mullin's calm unwavering demeanor coming out in his players. Whether we're down, game is tight, or we're up big it seems like guys play their games and aren't afraid to take shots or unfazed if they miss shots.
I know everyone thinks the schedule is soft and in large it hasn't been gauntlet but after 10 games you should be seeing trends and identity in this team. What's something(s) you've noticed about this team after 10 games?

I'll start by saying this team does't panic. I think this is a reflection of Mullin's calm unwavering demeanor coming out in his players. Whether we're down, game is tight, or we're up big it seems like guys play their games and aren't afraid to take shots or unfazed if they miss shots.
Probably Mullin’s greatest strength. gets players to believe in themselves.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »
I was at the game yesterday and ponds was truly a pleasure to watch. Being efficient on the offensive end scoring when he wanted to and dishing out 14 assists, amazing. Was really engaged on the defensive end as well was really nice to see. LJ has been way better than expected, great energy and he can really score. I think Heron will get better and better as season goes on. Have to feed him in the post more against weaker wing defenders. Still need to work on closing out on shooters and defensive rotations going into big east play. These big east teams won't miss nearly as much wide open looks as the teams we have played will, but looking forward to big east play!

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 09:18:24 PM »
Agree on all points. Hope we get Keita back for BE season as we will need the size and dept he will add to the rotation. Like Dixon just needs to be a little stronger with the ball. Intensity on D needs to pick up against better competition ahead.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 10:21:52 PM »
He’s certainly skilled at narrow interpretations of information to suit his objective, but I find his work/research interesting regardless. His short form pieces tend to be very good as they usually are just information presentation instead of narrative synthesization.

She seems extremely biased in many of her projects. She clearly doesn't like masculinity in any form.  Her argument against football in particular reeks of jealousy.

QuanMan

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 11:17:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/SJU2219/status/1074809580184576000

Last year? We shot 33% from downtown, look at the efficiency this year by our newcomers, wow.

One alarming early stat, we're 320/351 in offensive rebounding, woof. Let's hope Keita solves this ASAP.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 11:34:39 PM »
She seems extremely biased in many of her projects. She clearly doesn't like masculinity in any form.  Her argument against football in particular reeks of jealousy.

I uhhh...hmmm

LoganK

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 05:51:55 AM »
One alarming early stat, we're 320/351 in offensive rebounding, woof. Let's hope Keita solves this ASAP.
This can partially be attributed to our style of play.  Rather than crash the boards, the coaches seem to prefer they play transition defense.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/SJU2219/status/1074809580184576000

Last year? We shot 33% from downtown, look at the efficiency this year by our newcomers, wow.

Dixon needs more shots from three, there is no question. He won't keep that 50% mark up but 40% very possible.

The offensive rebounding comes alive when it's needed. Hopefully they can give a more consistent effort on that end in conference play.

redslope

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 01:19:32 PM »
Glad to see Marv get his groove back as he prepared for season to be a 4 but has had to play the 5 because of Keita injury.  I am sure this impacted his game as his 3PT %age YTD is 35% versus 41% last year.  Last 3 game he is 8 for 14 (and averaging 16/game and cutting done on fouls).  Also like his "Senior Leadership", something we have been lacking. 

cjfish

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
Dixon needs more shots from three, there is no question. He won't keep that 50% mark up but 40% very possible.

The offensive rebounding comes alive when it's needed. Hopefully they can give a more consistent effort on that end in conference play.

DIxon's form, release and results on the 3 are the best on the team by far.....he will be big in future years, particularly if he can get to 190 lbs.