Reverence

• 19 replies
Reverence
« on: December 18, 2018, 03:38:47 PM »
I wasn't always a rabid Johnny fan.  When I was a wee lad I liked the Yankees. Bobby Murcer was my boyhood hero. I got to see Mickey Mantle play. He was fat, painfully slow, played first base badly, struck out more than half the time and wreaked of booze but he was Mickey Mantle.  I wouldn't speak badly of him.

I wasn't alive when they were active and never had the pleasure of watching Ruth, Gehrig and Dimaggio play.  But I had some sense of history and understood what these players meant to the team I loved. If one of these three had been named Yankee coach, I would have just known instinctively that they deserve more leeway and a longer leesh than a former LA Dodger coach who had been working as a broadcaster or the former coach of a Double AA team in Queens. Even though I wasn't around for their glory years and the teams they coached sucked. 

I don't understand this generation.

Where is the sense of history?  Where is the respect?  Where is the reverence?

jsk

Re: Reverence
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »
Sad to say, but you are right. Your last comment on history can be said about many things beyond just sports as well. It's a different world in which we live.
Merry Christmas to all!

SJUFAN

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »
I got to see Mickey Mantle play. He was fat, painfully slow, played first base badly, struck out more than half the time and wreaked of booze but he was Mickey Mantle.  I wouldn't speak badly of him.

Prior to this year Mullin’s record was 38-60, 12-42 BE record. No one has called for Mullins head, only making suggestions as to how this all time great Johnny can improve the basketball program. No different than you calling Mantle fat. At the end of the day it’s about the name on front of the jersey. Or is it better to wallow in mediocrity?

sju89tr

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
Maybe we made a grave mistake not hiring Danny Hurley but there were very few higher profile coaches willing to take this job. Mullin loves St. John's. Maybe he will never be a great coach and needs to make some changes but unfortunately there weren't many better options out there.

With that said, if we make the NCAA and win a few games and get lucky enough for Sweet 16 it has to help recruiting and his fortunes going forward.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
If we were told that in Mullin's fourth season we would make the NCAA's and have an All-American drafted in the NBA, who wouldn't take that after returning only AA and Christian Jones!!! Those things are not only possible but they look likely.

All things considered Mullin is looking a lot more like Hoiberg than Clyde Drexler and he started with less than both.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »
If we were told that in Mullin's fourth season we would make the NCAA's and have an All-American drafted in the NBA, who wouldn't take that after returning only AA and Christian Jones!!! Those things are not only possible but they look likely.

All things considered Mullin is looking a lot more like Hoiberg than Clyde Drexler and he started with less than both.

Felix Balamou is very hurt by this post.

jr49

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
I thought Coach Lavin gave away FB's last year.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:10:16 AM »
Leo DiCaprio did an excellent job in Reverance

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:26:13 AM »
Mullin should be treated with respect, and he absolutely has been.

Especially by the fan base.

What exactly is Mullin not getting that you think he should be getting?

Poison

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 01:33:53 AM »
Maybe we made a grave mistake not hiring Danny Hurley but there were very few higher profile coaches willing to take this job. Mullin loves St. John's. Maybe he will never be a great coach and needs to make some changes but unfortunately there weren't many better options out there.

With that said, if we make the NCAA and win a few games and get lucky enough for Sweet 16 it has to help recruiting and his fortunes going forward.

I don’t understand how anyone can say that there weren’t many better options at the time.

There were a shit ton of better options.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:24:09 AM »
What exactly is Mullin not getting that you think he should be getting?

Bad mouthing
Insults
Saying straight out he's in over his head, a terrible hire and a lousy coach.

Right here on this board. It started in year one.

If he didn't have the 10-0 to shut up all but the most stubborn, blindest of naysayers and say he was 8-2 or 9-1, all hell would have broken loose by now.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 03:18:53 AM »
Bad mouthing
Insults

If he didn't have the 10-0 to shut up all but the most stubborn, blindest of naysayers and say he was 8-2 or 9-1, all hell would have broken loose by now.

Are you saying that Mullin wasn’t in over his head, or that he obviously was but we shouldn’t have said it anywhere to anyone because he was once a great college basketball player?

Before this season started, Norm Roberts by comparison was a better coach during his first three years.

Chris Mullin will have every opportunity to prove his critics wrong once the BE begins.

Let me ask you this, if we have a repeat of last year where we finish towards the bottom of the BE would you then believe that he’s in over his head?

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »
Bad mouthing
Insults

So you know I held back as long as I could. Never saw anything like him as a coach the first few games. I was excited he was here. I sat behind his family.
Not only didn’t he have a clue. He looked like he couldn’t have given a shit.
Is he better now? Of course. But I am tired of losing. This 10-0 mirage, makes me mad.
Real season is starting. You know what’s TRULY about to happen. If you thought this guy was doing a good job. Their would be no reason to start this thread.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »

See sometimes you can still post good stuff.  Much like Dixon you just have to put in a better effort.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:45:45 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »

So you know I held back as long as I could. Never saw anything like him as a coach the first few games. I was excited he was here. I sat behind his family.
Not only didn’t he have a clue. He looked like he couldn’t have given a shit.
Is he better now? Of course. But I am tired of losing. This 10-0 mirage, makes me mad.
Real season is starting. You know what’s TRULY about to happen. If you thought this guy was doing a good job. Their would be no reason to start this thread.

I dont think it’s unreasonable to think that Mullin didn’t know what he was doing over the first three seasons. Most people in a new career aren’t going to know what they’re doing because how could they?

To say he doesn’t care is unfair. I think he cares deeply about St.John’s Basketball, Lou Carnesecca and the University in general.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »
Are you saying that Mullin wasn’t in over his head, or that he obviously was but we shouldn’t have said it anywhere to anyone because he was once a great college basketball player?

Before this season started, Norm Roberts by comparison was a better coach during his first three years.

Chris Mullin will have every opportunity to prove his critics wrong once the BE begins.

Let me ask you this, if we have a repeat of last year where we finish towards the bottom of the BE would you then believe that he’s in over his head?

Even if I thought that coach was in over his head, I wouldn't say so because of...reverence.

Now what I truly believe: 

Mullin took over the team in a complete, and I mean complete, rebuild. I don't think John Wooden could have danced with the teams we had these past three years.  Was a big Lovett fan and thought we had a chance in year 3 but when he left I knew we were cooked.

I'm hoping it all stays together this year and we make it. For coach, for us and for the entire university. The league being a little down at the top and an improved talent level for us are cause for optimism. There are flaws and a concerning lack of depth are reasons for pessimism. My fingers are crossed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:38:03 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »

Why does everything have to so sensational? Mullin didn't have to be "in over his head" in order to be at a disadvantage.

A 20-win season this year would definitively prove he wasn't in over his head.

And Norm Roberts was awful. He inherited to rising sophs that were top 75 recruits and eventual All-Big East players and he still sucked. The worst part is he had no chance with too players.

SJUFAN

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
A 20-win season this year would definitively prove he wasn't in over his head.

So you would be sticking your chest out with a 8-10 BE record and playing in the NIT? We are a broken fan base if that would be suffice.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
So you would be sticking your chest out with a 8-10 BE record and playing in the NIT? We are a broken fan base if that would be suffice.

What is wrong in your life that you need to project such negativity onto a college sports team?
We're about to be 12-0! Now is the time for hope and thinking Sweet Sixteen, but here you are pissing in everyone's cheerios. What's next on your agenda...adopt and return some dogs from the pound? Heckle some orphans on Christmas Eve for not having a family?

Maybe Mullin goes 8-10...maybe the team completely collapses and he looks like a failure. But he can also win 25 in his fourth year after inheriting a group that would have been run out of the gym by me, Baldi, WASJU, Carmine, and Mase.

And guess what? The staff is only getting better with experience baby. 

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 01:29:58 AM »
But he can also win 25 in his fourth year after inheriting a group that would have been run out of the gym by me, Baldi, WASJU, Carmine, and Mase.
I call bullsh*te.  I can't speak for the rest of the starting unit, but my game has really been in the toilet since the knee issues.