Best start in program history

• 19 replies
Best start in program history
« on: December 06, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
We need to go back to 1910:
1910–11  Claude Allen  14–0   Helms and Premo-Porretta National Champions.

I believe we will pass the 90-91 team starting 9-0 before losing to SYR, but 15-0 would really be special.  I would give it 5% odds.

PRIN
WAG
STF
@Sacred Heart

@SH
MARQ
@GTOWN
@NOVA

Just curious if anyone take a 1 to 20 betting odds?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:11:17 PM by buckeyestorm »

Re: Best start in program history
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
I think 13-0 is real possibility even without Keita....without Keita beating Marquette will be tough

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »
We need to go back to 1910:
1910–11  Claude Allen  14–0   Helms and Premo-Porretta National Champions.

I believe we will pass the 90-91 team starting 9-0 before losing to SYR, but 15-0 would really be special.  I would give it 5% odds.

PRIN
WAG
STF
@Sacred Heart

@SH
MARQ
@GTOWN
@NOVA

Just curious if anyone take a 1 to 20 betting odds?

The 1982-83 team (Mullin's sophomore year) matched that 14-0 start.

Ironically, in game #9 that year, we defeated Princeton. Maybe that's an omen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982%E2%80%9383_St._John%27s_Redmen_basketball_team
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:14:34 PM by sju61982 »

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
We will go to 14-0. People will still be complaining.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:52:32 PM »
I have not read a single word of this thread, but I have three words:

Settle down nah

redslope

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:01:34 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982%E2%80%9383_St._John%27s_Redmen_basketball_team

The 1982/83 team was tremendous with Mullin, Russell, Goodwin, Wennington, Williams and Allen.  They won BE tournament and went to NCAA's as top seed in the East and a bye in the first round. where they lost to Georgia in regional semi finals at the Carrier Dome which was a horrible venue to watch a game.  Jeff Allen had gotten hurt and I believe to this day that was the difference in that team not going all the way as we had 2 Bigs at center

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:43:05 PM »
All 9 teams that are undefeated are given a chance to go undefeated for the rest of the year, albeit very slim chance like .01-3.2 % EXCEPT one team....St John’s -the only undefeated team not even afforded a .000000001 chance.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 01:42:53 AM »
hall is gonna come for blood
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »

Lets compare the two teams.
CENTER
1982 had the twin ivory towers platoon with a little Ron Stewart thrown in. Wennington / Allen combined to average 10ppg and 8 rebs. Both had good size and somehow Wennington went on to have a productive career in NBA for what seemed like 30 years.
2018 has Marvin Clark playing center. Clark is a good outside shooter and has been playing better all around lately.
EDGE-1982

POWER FORWARD- I really like LJ and in fact think he is clearly our 2nd best player.
Unfortunately for LJ matched up against 10 year old WASJU's favorite player. David Russell was one of the two best in game dunkers in ST John's history and a very good college player. Still devastated he did not make the pros.
EDGE-HUUGE for 1982

SMALL FORWARD-1982 had a weird thing where a 6-7 guy was listed as small forward but was really a two and a 6-5 guy was listed at the two but was really a three. Well we will put Mullin here.
Heron struggling now but will be fine. He is not Chris Mullin however.
EDGE-GINORMOUS for 1982

SHOOTING GUARD-
I really like Simon. Basically a way more athletic Reggie Jessie the year Jessie was good as a Junior.
1982 had one of the best "glue guys" in program history. Billy Goodwin was the toughest guard ever to play for ST John's and a very good player. He was responsible for two of my favorite early ST John's memories. Sitting on the basket after winning BET with WE ARE ST JOHNS poster and when he beat up David Wingate from Gtown. Had the pleasure of meeting him when I was the ball boy in the USBL after he graduated. Got assigned the visitor's bench and talked Goodwin's ear off whole game. Player's had to get their own water. Real good dude!
EDGE-Big for 1982

POINT GUARD- Bobby Kelly was my 2nd least favorite ST John's point guard ever trailing only Geno. If there was a message board back in 1982 WASJU would have gotten banned complaining about Kelly.
Shamorie Ponds though with some flaws is nonetheless the most fun guard to watch play since Marcus Hatten. More complete player than Hatten but still has to get us into tourney to move past him in my eyes.
EDGE-Literally could not be a bigger edge for 2018.

BENCH-Kevin Williams played about 5 or 6 years in the NBA and despite not being a real point guard, 10 year old WASJU used to beg his TV pretty regularly for Louie to put him in for Kelly. Weirdly Williams only played about 20 mins a game for us yet played in the pros and in USBL Williams was the best player in that league and Goodwin barely played. I think Kelly became a dentist or something. 82 also had Ron Stewart and one of the wonder twin centers on the bench.
2018 basically has a skinny guard who is pretty one dimensional and that dimension does not include defense and a guy who plays hard on D but otherwise only shoots threes and not very well. Team also has Earlington who has the best exit velocity I have ever seen on his shots and who I only include to make some guy who posts on the other board happy as he is Earlington's mailman or something. This will hopefully improve when Keita returns and I would like to see Williams get more time.
EDGE-Just based on Kevin Williams alone would be HUUUGE edge 1982

COACH-The fact that is in our 'GLORY YEARS" we always seemed to underachieve and despite some really good players our style was often kind of boring. Also Lou always played weak early season schedule did his best to not play freshman unless they were great and really only ever played 8 guys leads me to believe that if you went back in time in Doc Brown's Delorean and brought Louie back to coach the team the "fans" on these boards would be questioning him by year two and posting he should be fired by year 4.
EDGE-1982
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:54:55 PM by we are sju »

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »
Lets compare the two teams.
CENTER
1982 had the twin ivory towers platoon with a little Ron Stewart thrown in. Wennington / Allen combined to average 10ppg and 8 rebs. Both had good size and somehow Wennington went on to have a productive career in NBA for what seemed like 30 years.
2018 has Marvin Clark playing center. Clark is a good outside shooter and has been playing better all around lately.
EDGE-1982

POWER FORWARD- I really like LJ and in fact think he is clearly our 2nd best player.
Unfortunately for LJ matched up against 10 year old WASJU's favorite player. David Russell was one of the two best in game dunkers in ST John's history and a very good college player. Still devastated he did not make the pros.
EDGE-HUUGE for 1982

SMALL FORWARD-1982 had a weird thing where a 6-7 guy was listed as small forward but was really a two and a 6-5 guy was listed at the two but was really a three. Well we will put Mullin here.
Heron struggling now but will be fine. He is not Chris Mullin however.
EDGE-GINORMOUS for 1982

SHOOTING GUARD-
I really like Simon. Basically a way more athletic Reggie Jessie the year Jessie was good as a Junior.
1982 had one of the best "glue guys" in program history. Billy Goodwin was the toughest guard ever to play for ST John's and a very good player. He was responsible for two of my favorite early ST John's memories. Sitting on the basket after winning BET with WE ARE ST JOHNS poster and when he beat up David Wingate from Gtown. Had the pleasure of meeting him when I was the ball boy in the USBL after he graduated. Got assigned the visitor's bench and talked Goodwin's ear off whole game. Player's had to get their own water. Real good dude!
EDGE-Big for 1982

POINT GUARD- Bobby Kelly was my 2nd least favorite ST John's point guard ever trailing only Geno. If there was a message board back in 1982 WASJU would have gotten banned complaining about Kelly.
Shamorie Ponds though with some flaws is nonetheless the most fun guard to watch play since Marcus Hatten. More complete player than Hatten but still has to get us into tourney to move past him in my eyes.
EDGE-Literally could not be a bigger edge for 2018.

BENCH-Kevin Williams played about 5 or 6 years in the NBA and despite not being a real point guard, 10 year old WASJU used to beg his TV pretty regularly for Louie to put him in for Kelly. Weirdly Williams only played about 20 mins a game for us yet played in the pros and in USBL Williams was the best player in that league and Goodwin barely played. I think Kelly became a dentist or something. 82 also had Ron Stewart and one of the wonder twin centers on the bench.
2018 basically has a skinny guard who is pretty one dimensional and that dimension does not include defense and a guy who plays hard on D but otherwise only shoots threes and not very well. Team also has Earlington who has the best exit velocity I have ever seen on his shots and who I only include to make some guy who posts on the other board happy as he is Earlington's mailman or something. This will hopefully improve when Keita returns and I would like to see Williams get more time.
EDGE-Just based on Kevin Williams HUUUGE edge 1982

COACH-The fact that is in our 'GLORY YEARS" we always seemed to underachieve and despite some really good players our style was often kind of boring. Also Lou always played weak early season schedule did his best to not play freshman unless they were great and really only ever played 8 guys leads me to believe that if you went back in time in Doc Brown's Delorean and brought Louie back to coach the team the "fans" on these boards would be questioning him by year two and posting he should be fired by year 4.
EDGE-1982

Simon a SG? He has 11 three point attempts and a total of maybe 16 jumpers in 11 games. How does that make him a SG exactly?

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »
Simon a SG? He has 11 three point attempts and a total of maybe 16 jumpers in 11 games. How does that make him a SG exactly?

Other than Ponds and Clark who is what? Position less basketball.  Basically one guard and 4 forwards but that wouldn't work for matchups  ;)

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
Other than Ponds and Clark who is what? Position less basketball.  Basically one guard and 4 forwards but that wouldn't work for matchups  ;)

Heron obviously. Figueroa after that. Simon is clearly a forward this year.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »

Nothing clear about that.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »
Nothing clear about that.

Nothing is clear to you this year. It's like St. John's basketball's success and the quality of your posting are tied together in opposite directions. As they play better your posting goes down. You were a hall of famer during the Norm years and now you are Jason Bay on the Mets :(

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »

He’s about as dug in on that as you are the schedule. I’m really interested in hearing him work his magic on how he’ll explain this whole time he actually thought Ponds was a better passer than Simon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 05:33:46 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 06:49:30 PM »
He’s about as dug in on that as you are the schedule. I’m really interested in hearing him work his magic on how he’ll explain this whole time he actually thought Ponds was a better passer than Simon.

Ponds is the point. BTW when Ponds sits  who runs the point?
Clark playing 5
The other three are just wing players and interchangeable.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »
Ponds is the point. BTW when Ponds sits  who runs the point?
Clark playing 5
The other three are just wing players and interchangeable.

Simon does. Who’s the best passer on the team?

Poison

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 07:11:44 PM »
hall is gonna come for blood

You mean because they play hard all the time?

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
Simon does. Who’s the best passer on the team?

Dixon ran more point against St. Francis until he game got out of hand. Simon dribbled 4 balls off his foot...all unforced.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »
Dixon ran more point against St. Francis until he game got out of hand. Simon dribbled 4 balls off his foot...all unforced.

Yes but Simon does play some point and he is much more point than he is SG. He’s everything but that.