Xavier predictions thread

• 59 replies
Re: Xavier predictions thread
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »
They are slower than us, quickness rules

We are way faster than PC, but Cooley slowed us down with a 3/4 press and then settled into a zone. We didnt know what the hell to do

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
I’ve seen Xavier a grand total of about 5 minutes this year, but I liked what we saw from our big men and Ponds on Saturday. Hope there is even more for Keita to contribute and I think there will be.

Johnnies-82
X-75

Keita will need to be a monster on Thursday. Hall's bigs are big for nothing. X has some mean dudes

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
Cough duke prediction cough cough. You’ve lost you’re delegation privileges.

I’m one of the few who doesn’t think Ponds needs to score 25 to have a great game. I’m fine with 16-24 pts on good shots and getting his team involved. I don’t think this is a team he dominates by scoring, I think he’ll have to be as much, if not more, of a playmaker.

I could not agree more with this sentiment. I actually like when ponds lets the game develop and gets others going. The reality is that we have plenty of capable scorers ; LJ, Staph, Marv.

Additionally, hes not dumb. Im sure some of the feedback he got from NBA teams last summer was that he was too "score first". This is a good look for him.

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2019, 08:04:42 PM »
We are way faster than PC, but Cooley slowed us down with a 3/4 press and then settled into a zone. We didnt know what the hell to do

Cooley did a good job slowing our guys down, but they also didn’t come out with much energy that game. I agree that quickness rules but you gotta use it, which in just about every loss it has been sporadic.

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2019, 08:04:53 PM »
SJ 78 - X 66

Yes, they've won 4 in a row, but this is not last year's Xavier team. 

They turn the ball over a lot, have trouble scoring, and their guard play is erratic.  They haven't gotten an injured star player back or anything. It's not as though they're a different team than the one that lost 6 BE games in a row -- Creighton only had to inbounds the ball up 2 with 20 seconds when they threw it towards Xavier's basket for a tying layup (was that they 4th game they've given away?), they caught a slow starting Seton Hall team (we've seen that act) that is 4 and 7 in their last 11 BE games, and they had a tired legs Nova team come into Cintas that was cruising toward their 3rd road loss of the week, after having us come back from 19 down against them and getting manhandled by Georgetown in DC.

We're 5 and 2 in our last 7 league games, Xavier's a lousy road team, and Carnesecca will be insane.

You may have just sold me on this W. House is going on the johnnies with the points

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »
X has some mean dudes

Nothing compared to Johnny Jungle.

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2019, 09:09:55 PM »
I don’t realize how good Tre Jones was. 90 seconds in I posted how much better Jones was than Duval.

Ponds is an awesome facilitator but our guys don’t always finish well. That’s why he will have to take over.

El Presidente say 35 8 8 6

the same guy who is creative enough to make a runway model basketball analogy is going to stoop to stealing a nickname and donning it on himself?? You’re starting to make me worry.  If Ponds goes out and has the best game of his career Thursday night then the Oval Office is all yours. If not than you must change your monicker to MiddleGroundMarillac in hopes that you find some ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:45 PM »
the same guy who is creative enough to make a runway model basketball analogy is going to stoop to stealing a nickname and donning it on himself?? You’re starting to make me worry.  If Ponds goes out and has the best game of his career Thursday night then the Oval Office is all yours. If not than you must change your monicker to MiddleGroundMarillac in hopes that you find some ;)

I don’t think the NBA will be kind to Ponds. He’s got lottery level skill but barely acceptable physical talent.  He’ll need the perfect situation.

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »
I don’t think the NBA will be kind to Ponds. He’s got lottery level skill but barely acceptable physical talent.  He’ll need the perfect situation.

Didn't you guarantee that he was gonna be an all star not that long ago?

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2019, 10:02:20 PM »
Didn't you guarantee that he was gonna be an all star not that long ago?

Would you like a refund?

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 10:23:57 PM »
For a 6'1 G he better improve his outside shot.

goredmen

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 11:40:09 PM »
Would you like a refund?

No thanks. Just confirming whats already known. Nobody sticks to their guns less than you do. At least you admit it unlike Francesa who claims he never said things that he obviously said, so you got something going for ya.

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2019, 01:24:11 AM »
ticket $18 plus fees for the worst seats

Rising secondary market prices are a very good sign it'll be packed and loud on Thursday. At least once the people get there (nobody can make a 630 start in Nyc). The arrival/attendance of the long dormant Johnny fan has been the pleasant surprise story of this season.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »
No thanks. Just confirming whats already known. Nobody sticks to their guns less than you do. At least you admit it unlike Francesa who claims he never said things that he obviously said, so you got something going for ya.

I evaluate with the evidence available to me. I never questioned Ponds’ shot or PG abilities like others last year. His junior year raised more questions than answers for me thus far. He did not look good against the two PGs that had NBA quickness this year. He’s shown poor body language and had negative interactions with refs at times. He’s jogged back on defense too often.

He’s a 10/10 for awareness, basketball IQ, vision, and hands. He’s a 9/10 for passing ability and 8/10 for handle on an NBA scale. He’s a 4 or 5/10 overall physically.

If anyone can overcome the lack of physical talent it’s him.

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2019, 12:11:03 AM »
He’s a 4 or 5/10 overall physically.

I guess you were none too impressed with his first collegiate jam the other day.

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2019, 06:42:19 AM »
I guess you were none too impressed with his first collegiate jam the other day.

Wasn’t his first

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2019, 02:27:58 PM »
Wasn’t his first

I watch every game.  When was the other.

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
I watch every game.  When was the other.

He had a two hand break away dunk. 

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2019, 03:20:48 PM »
I would love to see Earlington have a big game tonight ... 8, 4, 2 (blocks)

cjfish

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »
I would love to see Earlington have a big game tonight ... 8, 4, 2 (blocks)

I like what I see so far. Hope he gets some time.