Hog fan and now St. Johns fan here

• 37 replies

sju89tr

Re: Hog fan and now St. Johns fan here
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 12:05:53 PM »
Obviously I'm not happy when any one dies - except my ex-wives - but he was awful.

I miss CRGreen, he was a class act. 

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »
Another Anderson fan here. Just requesting permission to adopt St. John's as my Razorbacks of NYC. Looking forward to watching some Big East action.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 03:10:21 PM »
Another Anderson fan here. Just requesting permission to adopt St. John's as my Razorbacks of NYC. Looking forward to watching some Big East action.

Permission granted. We could use all the fans we can get. And we’re both red.

jsk

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
I'm appreciative and very impressed at the outpouring of input from the Razorback fans in joining our Team and New Coach as supportive fans. They seem to be very Classy folks and are very welcome.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
it's actually really awesome to see so many Razorback fans show support for Anderson and in a few months SJU

SJUFAN

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
it's actually really awesome to see so many Razorback fans show support for Anderson and in a few months SJU

Speaks volumes of the coach we selected.

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
I have never seen anything likes this, we hired a coach and gain fans! I am getting more and more excited about this hire.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »
Anderson was the classiest guy, he would still be at Arkansas if Malik Monk wasn’t bought by Kentucky, Woodz Elite doesn’t like Anderson because he doesn’t play the money game, also Reggie Perry who is being drafted this year was committed to the Hogs and said the Hogs were his Duke and Kentucky, decommited right after coming back from the Adidas trip he was on, the AAU program is killing clean coaches, like Anderson won’t even budge at all even on the slightest things.

wpc77

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 11:17:25 PM »
Anderson was the classiest guy, he would still be at Arkansas if Malik Monk wasn’t bought by Kentucky, Woodz Elite doesn’t like Anderson because he doesn’t play the money game, also Reggie Perry who is being drafted this year was committed to the Hogs and said the Hogs were his Duke and Kentucky, decommited right after coming back from the Adidas trip he was on, the AAU program is killing clean coaches, like Anderson won’t even budge at all even on the slightest things.

Spoke to someone today who backed up what you just posted.  But he also pointed out that Anderson, because he doesn't cheat (which is great), sometimes resorts to over promising to recruits and letting parents / guardians have too much influence on playing time.  Which led to disorganization and lack of cohesion among players in later years.  The guy I spoke with said this year's team, for example, was loaded and should have been a sweet 16 team.  Guess we will see. 

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 12:04:11 AM »
Another interesting take from Arkansas Fight on Rumble in the Garden (in case it was not posted earlier) https://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2019/4/22/18507094/q-a-on-new-coach-mike-anderson-arkansas-fight

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 12:06:04 AM »
Spoke to someone today who backed up what you just posted.  But he also pointed out that Anderson, because he doesn't cheat (which is great), sometimes resorts to over promising to recruits and letting parents / guardians have too much influence on playing time.  Which led to disorganization and lack of cohesion among players in later years.  The guy I spoke with said this year's team, for example, was loaded and should have been a sweet 16 team.  Guess we will see.
They had 1 junior, and no seniors, 7 of the 9 players had never played D1 basketball before this year.

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 12:20:54 AM »
Spoke to someone today who backed up what you just posted.  But he also pointed out that Anderson, because he doesn't cheat (which is great), sometimes resorts to over promising to recruits and letting parents / guardians have too much influence on playing time. Which led to disorganization and lack of cohesion among players in later years.  The guy I spoke with said this year's team, for example, was loaded and should have been a sweet 16 team.  Guess we will see.

Not to start anything, but that information he shared to you about Anderson over promising is incorrect.  It's actually the complete opposite, CMA's whole recruiting pitch is about family and telling guys not to worry about being a starter because he has 8-10 guys that he considers his starters and if you work hard you'll play.  When the season starts and you hear reporters ask about who the starters will be and ask who's going to play the most minutes, you guys will hear him say he has 8-10 starters so much it will start to annoy you a little bit.  He doesn't show favoritism at all.

One Arkansas kid, Anton Beard, who was highly recruited and originally committed to Mizzou did an interview and they asked what was some of the things that changed his mind and made him want to come to Arkansas, and he said the fact that Coach Anderson didn't sugarcoat anything and just tell him what he wanted to hear, he told him he expects him to come in and work hard and earn everything.  And Anton liked that because he said he didn't want any fake promises. 

It's also kinda odd you were told that, because that's one of the biggest complaints some Hog fans had about Anderson's recruiting style, I can't tell you how many threads I've read over the years with people criticizing Anderson for not making all the promises in the world to highly rated recruits to get them here.  For example many Hog fans though he should have made Malik Monk's brother an assistant or offered him a job on the staff to get him here, CMA did not do that, he's not going to do stuff like that just to land a recruit.  He's also not going to beg a kid to stay or play them because of anything their parents say, CMA is going to do things his way, if the parents or kid doesn't like it, he'll help them find another school.

And last thing, I don't know who told that guy he had a sweet 16 team this year.  It was the 2nd youngest team in the nation, and started 2 freshman and 3 sophomores, we were picked to finish 10th in our conference and not make a post season.  We ended up finishing 9th and making the NIT and finishing better than pre-season predictions.  It was actually a pretty good coaching job, considering we lost our McDonald-All American recruit to some shady business, and one of our top recruits from the prior year, who was suppose to be cleared this season, ended up still not getting medically cleared to play.

wpc77

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 09:04:28 AM »
More specifically, I was told that he is a great guy, but would not lay down the law with the kids and their parents when they demanding things. "Promising" things is not the best choice of words - moreso not being strict with kids and telling them and their parents to cut the bullshit when making requests or demands. That lead to difficult locker room situations when kids were not put in check. Musselman is the opposite of that, it seems (from a discipline point of view, not from being a good or bad guy). 

Perhaps he needs a "bad cop" assistant to his "good cop" personality.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:06:51 AM by wpc77 »

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
Yes.

"If it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all."
"Fire the coach."
"We need a quality assistant like Mike Rice."
"My back hurts and it's hot in here."
"I wish I had a pretzel but the lines around the block."
"Lou looks great for 9_,"
So funny because its so true

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
I'm appreciative and very impressed at the outpouring of input from the Razorback fans in joining our Team and New Coach as supportive fans. They seem to be very Classy folks and are very welcome.

These guys are awesome.  Seriously makes me like Arkansas.  And the Mizzou fan is great too.

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
Mike is a special guy and helped create a lot of special memories in Arkansas, so he's very loved. It's a shame things didn't work out how they were supposed to. Mike was close several times but his teams were always 1 or 2 players away from being special. It was hard to take because he was so close. We'd have a roster poised for a run, then bam, a junior decides to go pro overseas,  or a promising freshman transfers, or a top 50 signee doesn't qualify/ doesn't get medically cleared. In the end, the shortcomings became too much and after 8 years with no banners of any kind our new AD wanted to move on.

I'm just glad that the best dressed man in college ball will still be wearing red! Woo Red Storm! Lol. You all should try that one at a game.

ras

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 10:54:05 PM »
Mike is a special guy and helped create a lot of special memories in Arkansas, so he's very loved. It's a shame things didn't work out how they were supposed to. Mike was close several times but his teams were always 1 or 2 players away from being special. It was hard to take because he was so close. We'd have a roster poised for a run, then bam, a junior decides to go pro overseas,  or a promising freshman transfers, or a top 50 signee doesn't qualify/ doesn't get medically cleared. In the end, the shortcomings became too much and after 8 years with no banners of any kind our new AD wanted to move on.

I'm just glad that the best dressed man in college ball will still be wearing red! Woo Red Storm! Lol. You all should try that one at a game.
I guess were not alone w untimely departures.or players looking like they would sign and not. The nature of college bb these days, sad, Woo Johnies, we don’t really like our nick name, miss Redmen.

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 01:35:40 AM »
More specifically, I was told that he is a great guy, but would not lay down the law with the kids and their parents when they demanding things. "Promising" things is not the best choice of words - moreso not being strict with kids and telling them and their parents to cut the bullshit when making requests or demands. That lead to difficult locker room situations when kids were not put in check. Musselman is the opposite of that, it seems (from a discipline point of view, not from being a good or bad guy). 

Perhaps he needs a "bad cop" assistant to his "good cop" personality.

That information, even re-worded is incorrect.  The fact that the guy that told you this said he had a sweet 16 team this year, when CMA had the second youngest roster in D1, and wasn't even projected to make the tournament by any media outlet, pretty much tells me he had no clue what he was talking about. 

And, I don't want that to come off as a knock to you, I know you're just telling us what he said, but I can tell you everything you said above couldn't be further from the truth.  I have no idea where he got all the parent stuff from.  I live about 2 miles from the university and follow the program closely and talk to people around the program, and never heard anything close to that, it honestly sounds like he made that up.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:36:21 AM by MakingPlays »