Anderson v. Mullin Recruiting by End of May

• 74 replies
Re: Anderson v. Mullin Recruiting by End of May
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
Hog fan here,  was suprised to see st johns allow Mullins to get away, he was building a good program, Mike is a winner an good coach however his recruiting  efforts an style leave lots to be desired. Mike may have more players to chose from in New York an if he gets the right players I wouldnt count st johns out of anything, but recruiting was his problem at Arkansas.

I mean he had to have been at least a decent recruiter. He has winning seasons, he makes NCAA tournaments. Mullin chose not to recruit so average is better than nothing. And if we win  it will be to his advantage in the NY market rather than the Arkansas market which will further push our national attention.

My guess:
Year 1 with returnees we make the tournament. Year 2 we may miss out and be NIT team but I think he would have landed at least 2 4 stars coming off a strong year 1. I could be wrong, but let's see. Either way Heron and LJ will have great year and flourish in his system.

Marillac

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
I mean he had to have been at least a decent recruiter. He has winning seasons, he makes NCAA tournaments. Mullin chose not to recruit so average is better than nothing. And if we win  it will be to his advantage in the NY market rather than the Arkansas market which will further push our national attention.

My guess:
Year 1 with returnees we make the tournament. Year 2 we may miss out and be NIT team but I think he would have landed at least 2 4 stars coming off a strong year 1. I could be wrong, but let's see. Either way Heron and LJ will have great year and flourish in his system.
m

For a guy who didn’t recruit how the hell did he end up with so many top 75 players? Will Anderson even land one?

The problem with the Mullin staff wasn’t getting recruits it was finishing off the roster with quality role players and on-court philosophy.

Lavin, Mullin, and Jarvis made immediate splashes in recruiting. That hasn’t happened yet with Anderson. His recruits are very Norm-esque thus far.

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
m

For a guy who didn’t recruit how the hell did he end up with so many top 75 players? Will Anderson even land one?

The problem with the Mullin staff wasn’t getting recruits it was finishing off the roster with quality role players and on-court philosophy.

Lavin, Mullin, and Jarvis made immediate splashes in recruiting. That hasn’t happened yet with Anderson. His recruits are very Norm-esque thus far.

So much of the team were transfers not recruited by Mullin. You count Shamorie as a top recruit that required little to no work other than take a subway to Brooklyn. Plus Mullin had no track record of serious coaching so the "glow" of Hall of Famer and greatest Johnnie helped there. After Shamorie who else did Mullin recruit that was an impact player? They were transfers recruited by Matt.

Anderson has a quality returning team and transfers that will be good players. This can be a tournament team and would have been Sweet 16 if Shamorie and Simon were not boneheads. However, he is still inheriting talent and what he has done so far was pad roster with depth. The question of Anderson's recruiting is best answered after Year 1 and into Years 2 and 3 as he would have had the time. If at that point we are not getting 4s or in discussions for 5s then I am with you on this.

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
m

While I'm a fan of transfers I think they are good to add to a nucleus rather than be the nucleus. Our roster is a bit too transient at the moment. We needed a bit more balance which I think another coach who had responsibility recruiting would have helped that curve.

Should have hired Rice, got Scottie Lewis, and could have spun that into Aiden Igiehon and this train would have been rolling. I think you might have convinced Shamorie to come back this way too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »
While I'm a fan of transfers I think they are good to add to a nucleus rather than be the nucleus. Our roster is a bit too transient at the moment. We needed a bit more balance which I think another coach who had responsibility recruiting would have helped that curve.

Should have hired Rice, got Scottie Lewis, and could have spun that into Aiden Igiehon and this train would have been rolling. I think you might have convinced Shamorie to come back this way too.
[/quote

Agree that Rice would have been an excellent hire and possibly made a big difference last season. Rumors were that Mullin did want to hire him but the Administration rejected it. If true, can't blame Chris on that one.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2019, 03:29:11 PM »

I am a firm believer in talent is talent and chemistry is chemistry. I don’t care where the players come from. You need a few stars and you need willing role players. The latter ruined the last two staffs.

I don’t think the last staff evaluated transfers well.

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
Over/under on 8 overall wins, 1 in conference

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »
Over/under on 8 overall wins, 1 in conference

The over/under should be 16.

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2019, 11:47:48 PM »
I am a firm believer in talent is talent and chemistry is chemistry. I don’t care where the players come from. You need a few stars and you need willing role players. The latter ruined the last two staffs.

I can count more transfers that worked out than those that didn’t.

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »

Hahaha here we go again with this clown Marillic.  Bashing recruits on one thread because they aren't ranked high enough and then saying he's a firm believer of chemistry on another.  Easily the most pathetic poster I have seen

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
Hahaha here we go again with this clown Marillic.  Bashing recruits on one thread because they aren't ranked high enough and then saying he's a firm believer of chemistry on another.  Easily the most pathetic poster I have seen

Hi Old Red. Still a psycho I see. I’m surprised you are still alive. Hang in there a little linger and you may outlast Artie Lange.

ras

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »
Anderson seems to be going after higher ranked recruits for next year. Pursuing multiple top 100 players.Going hard after Curbelo.

redslope

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
What seems different is that all 4 coaches are out recruiting--hopefully it bears fruit for 2020

lihoop

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
They should look at Celestine, he is starting to blow up