Did we even try for RJ Barrett?

• 17 replies
Did we even try for RJ Barrett?
« on: May 17, 2019, 12:06:49 PM »
So both of his parents were johnnies athletes- did staff even give him a call last year? We were not even a finalist or on the list. My guess either we did not or we did and he hung up. Thoughts or insight?

Re: Did we even try for RJ Barrett?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »
So both of his parents were johnnies athletes- did staff even give him a call last year? We were not even a finalist or on the list. My guess either we did not or we did and he hung up. Thoughts or insight?

Simple reply: Yes, we did try.

How vigorously?  Not sure.  But it probably wouldn't have mattered, as he probably was gonna go the blue-blood route anyhow....  which happened anyway.

It's water-under-the-bridge, so why he even concern yourself with it. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:23:38 PM by mjdinkins »

sju89tr

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »
If Rowan's son were like Anthony Mason Jr. we would have had a chance. I think the sights were always higher for RJ. Picking a school with our heart doesn't always pay off. I am not mad about this or Achuwa. Shit I even took my kid to Georgetown on a recruiting trip for baseball as much as I hate the Hoyas.     

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
Simple reply: Yes, we did try.

How vigorously?  Not sure.  But it probably wouldn't have mattered, as he probably was gonna go the blue-blood route anyhow....  which happened anyway.

It's water-under-the-bridge, so why he even concern yourself with it.

Well- cause so much hype with him likely to be a Knick. If we had that talent here, a surefire top pick that would have done wonders for our program. And with him I would have thought more of a chance than typical blue chip because of blood lines. I just reflect on what could have been, would have been nice to have been finalist at least.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
If Rowan's son were like Anthony Mason Jr. we would have had a chance. I think the sights were always higher for RJ. Picking a school with our heart doesn't always pay off. I am not mad about this or Achuwa. Shit I even took my kid to Georgetown on a recruiting trip for baseball as much as I hate the Hoyas.   

That is a good point, I am sure they were- but if the last staff made him a priority and showed more energy with a bloodline blue chip it would have been nice or even if we were a finalist. I would hope if a similar opportunity came within the next few years Mike would put more effort into it. And its just bittersweet- St John's family about to be a Knick but he was a blue devil. I feel like long ago we could have been more successful in that type of situation.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »

When was the last time you saw or heard about Rowan Barrett being invited back to STJ?

I’m sure they reached out when they wanted something.

sju89tr

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:00:31 PM »
I think St. Johns does a horrible job at keeping the family together. But who knows what happens behind closed doors. hjopefully CMA helps with this. The little tweet about Moe Hatten goes a long way and I do not think giving a DOBO position to a guy whose career is over to a SJU guy is a bad idea. Get their feet wet in coaching in an administrative type role.   

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »
Did Chris Mullin ever try?

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »
When was the last time you saw or heard about Rowan Barrett being invited back to STJ?

Exactly, that is the issue right there. We are not keeping things in the family together unless its Mullin (pre-coach of course) and the Felipe Lopez showings at games. Even Artest and Jackson- wish we saw more of them although I did sit with Artest's father at a game at MSG one year. That was interesting haha.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »

Foad

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »

Barret got zero run at SJ in four years and went on to get a couple of NBA contracts and played in the Olympics and for 10 years in Europe. Why would he send his kid to SJ? Nostalgia?

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
Barret got zero run at SJ in four years and went on to get a couple of NBA contracts and played in the Olympics and for 10 years in Europe. Why would he send his kid to SJ? Nostalgia?
Totally true. Mahoney jerked him around, never let him get momentum as a starter or steady minutes. I remember 1-2 big numbers games. So, why would he send his #1 ranked son to a school where dad had mixed basketball memories?

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 11:18:24 PM »
Totally true. Mahoney jerked him around, never let him get momentum as a starter or steady minutes. I remember 1-2 big numbers games. So, why would he send his #1 ranked son to a school where dad had mixed basketball memories?
Rowan Barrett had 30 points in a MSG game vs Louisville but Mahoney played Freddie Lyson ahead of him. SMH

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 11:13:07 PM »
“Hello, Rowan?”

“Yes, who’s speaking?”

“This is Chris Mullin. We’d like your son to come to St. John’s.”

“Sorry, you’ve got the wrong number.”

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »
At least we will see him as a knick at the Garden!! Its just so crazy reading these articles and seeing the St. John's bloodline constantly mentioned and then you realize he went to Duke haha

https://nypost.com/2019/06/21/where-rj-barretts-love-of-knicks-first-came-from/

Poison

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
Rowan Barrett had 30 points in a MSG game vs Louisville but Mahoney played Freddie Lyson ahead of him. SMH

No. He had 32 points.

redslope

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 11:48:32 AM »
What really pissed me off was every time he said how excited he was to be playing in MSG. 

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »

You have no idea if, when or how former players, in any sport, are or are not invited back to the school for events.