Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings

• 174 replies
Re: Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
Mullin's first class was judged before they played. It turned out to be a pretty poor group of players. They were available that late for a reason. These kids may be in the same company, but let's let them play some basketball first and see what they can do, and what they can learn.

We are fortunate that we have a good core returning/new activated players and may not need to overly rely on them. They will be compliment pieces and hopefully one stands out.

TONYD3

« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
3 star players are fine. But they aren’t all the same. For the past 4 years we have only had Matt recruiting. It’s easy to pick out 5 star mustafa Herron. Trimble looks like a whiff.
Now we have 4 real coaches recruiting. Whatever Matt is, he is not a coach.

« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
Yes, sir, may I have another?

I don't know anything about Trimble's recruitment except that he had offers from Florida St, Georgia, Ok state, Providence and SMU. Those seem like solid programs and it's hard for me to believe that they all misread his ability. He seems like just the sort of four year player that all good programs have. He worked hard to get his body in shape. He played out of position, did what was asked of him and seemed like a good team mate. I wish he had not transfered, just as I am happy that none of the freshmen transfered, because roster continuity and the development of upperclassmen is what - unless you're dook or Kentucky or Kansas and have the pick of the litter - creates a winning culture. It's why Lou's in the hall of fame. Because he developed young talent who learned how to contribute as upperclassmen.

You're a Lavin boy and that's you're frame of reference. Okay. Consider how bad Dom Pointer was as a freshman and what a complete wrecking ball he was as a senior. Consider how awful Phil Greene was as an underclassman - and he was awful, I spent two years chronicling how awful - and how much he improved as an upperclassmen. Look at Norm's team - DJ, Horne, Burrell, Evans - that got their teeth kicked in for three years and made the NCAA tournament their fourth. Google Quincy Roberts. Google Cedric Jackson. Google Donald Emanuel, who learned Poison referenced. Google David Cain, who was a scrub freshman who led SJ to the a five seed in the NCAA tournament (where they lost to, wait for it, Arkansas.) These kids are not the worst players you've ever seen, they're just kids, and they're not disposable. They're integral to sustained winning basketball. Whatever you majored in, consider how little you knew about it as a freshman and how much you knew as a senior and how unfair it'd be to evaluate your erudition based on your sophomore grades. I don't want to play the wise old owl and I don't mean to be insulting - which if meant to you'd know it - but if you don't know that you don't know much of anything.

Foad

« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »
Only if you stop top posting

Yes, sir, may I have another?

Foad

« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2019, 04:44:09 PM »
But going into his junior year he would be at the end of the bench here.

Good grief slingblade. Isn't the whole point of Coach Third Choice's system that he doesn't have an end of the bench? He's played 10 guys double figure minutes for five years, which is as far as I can be arsed to go back and look. So instead of a 3-star junior with experience and a demonstrated work ethic we have various miscellaneous two star freshmen recruits, one of whom is a midget. Unless Run CTC is a certified genyious Mullin's sophomores better be players, otherwise a long season awaits. 

Foad

« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
In terms of the Lav era examples- difference between Dom and Trimble is that Dom came in with higher expectations and he was a solid 4 star. Its understandable why more teams would be after him. Trimble was recruited by good spots as you said, but I do not think his ceiling was the same.

The point though and then I'll leave it here was that eg Pointer was I think the number 25 recruit in his class and he was awful for three years and after those three years few would have predicted his fourth. David Cain was an unheralded recruit who was for three years garbage - the worst fan base in the world used to BOO loudly when he was at the scorer's table - and he had perhaps what in retrospect was perhaps the most remarkable senior year in the history of SJ basketball. The point being that you can't always tell. It's easy to identify genius when you see it, like when Mullin was a freshman, or Malik, or Harrison, or Phil Greene Ponds. It's harder - and probably impossible - to identify kids like DJ Kennedy or Cedric Jackson or Quincy Roberts or Tyshwan Edmondson, who transform themselves into what higher rated kids with less motivation fail to transform themselves into. Most kids have to grow up before you can evaluate what sort of adults they are. By way of analogy, as a kid I was identified as a super genius and I turned out to be a loathsome piece of shit. No one predicted that, except my father.

« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2019, 11:18:51 PM »

You should have called it What a Maroon 5. Lost opportunity.
You're right.  That's a better title.

TONYD3

« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2019, 11:35:44 AM »
Good grief slingblade. Isn't the whole point of Coach Third Choice's system that he doesn't have an end of the bench? He's played 10 guys double figure minutes for five years, which is as far as I can be arsed to go back and look. So instead of a 3-star junior with experience and a demonstrated work ethic we have various miscellaneous two star freshmen recruits, one of whom is a midget. Unless Run CTC is a certified genyious Mullin's sophomores better be players, otherwise a long season awaits. 
The whole point is to win games. Something lazy ass couldn’t do. You can refer to Trimble as a hardworking former 3 star recruit who has experience all you want. Doesn’t make it true. He came in overweight with 0 offensive skills. Last year at TIMES he played competent defense. Just because he was allowed to shoot doesn’t make him a good shooter.

And those aren’t mullin’s sophomores. Roberts and Williams will succeed here, And that has NOTHING to do with lazy ass.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:40:46 AM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »
I think I'm gonna have me some more of them French fried potaters, mmm mmm.

TONYD3

« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2019, 04:03:37 PM »

You are right. Smart is advocating for Trimble, Mullins, St. jean, and part time Mitch. I Wonder why none of these coaches have gotten jobs yet.

« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
Summer league schedule for Shamorie...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thedreamshake.com/platform/amp/2019/7/2/20678672/houston-rockets-release-summer-league-roster-and-schedule

SCHEDULE
July 6 vs. Dallas Mavericks - 8:00pm CST on NBATV

July 7 vs. Portland Trail Blazers - 9:00pm CST on NBATV

July 9 vs. Sacramento Kings - 9:00pm CST on ESPN2

July 11 vs Utah Jazz - 7:30pm CST on ESPNU
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
Summer league schedule for Shamorie...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thedreamshake.com/platform/amp/2019/7/2/20678672/houston-rockets-release-summer-league-roster-and-schedule

SCHEDULE
July 6 vs. Dallas Mavericks - 8:00pm CST on NBATV

July 7 vs. Portland Trail Blazers - 9:00pm CST on NBATV

July 9 vs. Sacramento Kings - 9:00pm CST on ESPN2

July 11 vs Utah Jazz - 7:30pm CST on ESPNU

Thanks for this. Interesting, lets see what he's got.

« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »
Did not leave any impression. If I didnt know who he was I wouldn't have noticed him except his one nice drive from top of key to the hoop.

Here's the boxscore

www.nba.com/games/20190706/DALHOU#/boxscore

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2019, 03:42:24 PM »
Did not leave any impression. If I didnt know who he was I wouldn't have noticed him except his one nice drive from top of key to the hoop.

Here's the boxscore

www.nba.com/games/20190706/DALHOU#/boxscore

20 Minutes is a good sign though. Looks like they want to see what he’s got.

LoganK

« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2019, 06:11:34 PM »
Kendrick Perkins said Shamorie Ponds was the best PG at the combine and is his summer league sleeper pick.  Granted, Perkins has been wrong on just about every take since he joined the media, but, better than being called the worst PG I suppose.