Carnesecca Arena Question

• 13 replies

HKD

Carnesecca Arena Question
« on: December 08, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »
In the middle of moving back to NY after years away, and here all week so thinking about heading out to game on Tuesday.  How hard is it to get to from midtown?  Was thinking of doing that or just hitting up the doubleheader at Garden, but even though I went to tons of SJU games growing up they were always at MSG so a chance to head out to campus seems cool. 

Thanks for help!  Great win yesterday, was fun to be in attendance. 

TONYD3

Re: Carnesecca Arena Question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
In the middle of moving back to NY after years away, and here all week so thinking about heading out to game on Tuesday.  How hard is it to get to from midtown?  Was thinking of doing that or just hitting up the doubleheader at Garden, but even though I went to tons of SJU games growing up they were always at MSG so a chance to head out to campus seems cool. 

Thanks for help!  Great win yesterday, was fun to be in attendance. 
I would take LIRR from penn station to Jamaica. It’s about a half hour. Then I would Uber or get a Gypsie cab to arena. Which is a bout 10/15 minutes. Make sure you put in Carnesecca arena not just the campus or they may drop at the wrong entrance.
Be a little careful. Jamaica is really busy. And it’s not the greatest neighborhood

HKD

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 12:24:53 PM »
I would take LIRR from penn station to Jamaica. It’s about a half hour. Then I would Uber or get a Gypsie cab to arena. Which is a bout 10/15 minutes. Make sure you put in Carnesecca arena not just the campus or they may drop at the wrong entrance.
Be a little careful. Jamaica is really busy. And it’s not the greatest neighborhood

Thanks for the info.... was going to take subway since on east side and uber from closest stop.   Assume not much around to grab a drink and bite before game walkable?  Campus should have some options one would think!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:28:40 PM by HKD »

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.... was going to take subway since on east side and uber from closest stop.   Assume not much around to grab a drink and bite before game walkable?  Campus should have some options one would think!
Cheaper to that way. LIRR is nicer. You can beer at PENN and drink on train.

HKD

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 12:46:18 PM »
Cheaper to that way. LIRR is nicer. You can beer at PENN and drink on train.

Ha... yeah that is always an option, plan was to find a place to eat before the game but guess that is not option! Thanks again for the info.

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
Ha... yeah that is always an option, plan was to find a place to eat before the game but guess that is not option! Thanks again for the info.
Not much left by campus. Only bar is a Japanese restaurant. It’s ok

HKD

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 12:52:17 PM »
Not much left by campus. Only bar is a Japanese restaurant. It’s ok

Amazing.. did quick google maps look and only thing that came up was "Parson's Ale House" but still quite a walk up Union Turnpike.  Oh well.... will figure out. 

HKD

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
Well picked up ticket... going to just subway out (easier from where coming).  Uber/LIRR back after game.

TONYD3

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »
Well picked up ticket... going to just subway out (easier from where coming).  Uber/LIRR back after game.
Have fun

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
$4-$5 tickets not including fees vs Brown

HKD

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »
$4-$5 tickets not including fees vs Brown

This is what I paid on seat geek.  8 with fees....

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 12:52:40 AM »
Japanese place is good for drinks before hand. Used to be Sly Fox which was THE SPOT.

HKD

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 02:27:26 PM »
Quick update...... had great time at first time on campus.  Going to be back in NY Tues-Fri next week and might do the trek again Wed night.  As someone who grew up going to games at MSG.... and then going to school at an ACC (now BIG ten) school with big on campus arena, it was so cool and different to be in such a small gym. 

Since the main reason I started this was for some advice... I ended up taking subway out and going to Parsons Ale house for a few drinks.  Took really quick Uber over to arena. After the game I took the LIRR back after another quick Uber ride.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 11:34:01 PM »
had great time at first time on campus.   
I love the old barn. It feels like my home away from home. I'll take it over the WMF any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  That's saying a lot being that they don't serve any booze which is difficult for me.