• 19 replies

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
"From Right To Left"
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »
Omari Lawrence and what he means for Queens

Anthony Morrealle, Sports Editor

Issue date: 9/3/08

http://media.www.torchonline.com/media/storage/paper952/news/2008/09/03/EditorColumns/From-Right.To.Left-3413413.shtml

Last year, I covered Sylven Landesberg's announcement of his college selection for the Torch.

He was the big New York City recruit at the time; a 6-6, 200-pound shooting guard ranked among the Top-50 seniors in the country and St. John's was on a short list of his potential colleges.

The hope among my fellow Torch sportswriters was that Landesberg would pick St. John's, decide to stay in New York City, and opt to try his hand at bringing back to prominence this once illustrious program.

The press conference was held in the basement gym of Holy Cross High School in Queens, where Landesberg was a student. I took a seat among the professional sportswriters and their notebooks.

Soon enough Landesberg got to the microphone and started to speak. "And that is why I have decided to go to…," he said. And he took off his blazer jacket to reveal a Virginia Cavaliers basketball T-shirt. As a journalist, my hand scribbled as evenly as any of the professionals around me, but as a fan and a New Yorker, my heart sank.

Landesberg was probably the biggest recruit head coach Norm Roberts had seriously pursued in his time at St. John's. And the New York kid said no.

And it just seems that as we search for what, or who, will save this program from mediocrity and worse, the only feasible solution is a New Yorker. It just has always been that way; whether it was Chris Mullin, or Walter Berry, or Erick Barkley, or even Omar Cook or Ron Artest.

And the question I faced last year was, is there anyone out there willing to save us?

Well maybe there is. On August 20, Omari Lawrence, a Bronx shooting guard, verbally committed to this University. He can't sign a letter of intent to come to Queens until November because of NCAA rules.

Lawrence, at 6-4, isn't the best high school senior to call the greatest city in the world home, but he's pretty close. He was recruited by UConn, Memphis, Clemson, Virginia, Marquette, Louisville, Arizona and Xavier and he picked St. John's. This is a great sign

Just read what Scout.com has to say about him: "Attacking guard who creates in both the half-court and in transition. Can spot up and shoot, but is at his best when going to the hoop. Also one of the more polished defenders on the high school level. Doesn't take plays off; competes with great intensity."

But this is even heavier than Lawrence's 205-pound frame. This is proof that there is some kid out there who has the same love for the basketball storyline of this city that we all do. And it's an example to the other great New York hoops prospects that it's a storyline that still is worth being a part of.

Who knows, maybe this will sway Lance Stephenson, who at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, is the best high school recruit in New York, and beyond. Maybe he'll look at Lawrence and give St. John's some extra consideration because of it.

Maybe in four seasons we'll have five New York City-born basketball stars on the floor and be competing in the NCAA Tournament.

Or maybe I'm just going too far.

But I've heard rumors that Lou Carnesecca once said, "The only thing you have to do to recruit in this city is go outside." Great basketball talent surrounds us and maybe it will save us.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Poison

Re: "From Right To Left"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »
Omari Lawrence and what he means for Queens

Anthony Morrealle, Sports Editor

Issue date: 9/3/08

http://media.www.torchonline.com/media/storage/paper952/news/2008/09/03/EditorColumns/From-Right.To.Left-3413413.shtml

Last year, I covered Sylven Landesberg's announcement of his college selection for the Torch.

He was the big New York City recruit at the time; a 6-6, 200-pound shooting guard ranked among the Top-50 seniors in the country and St. John's was on a short list of his potential colleges.

The hope among my fellow Torch sportswriters was that Landesberg would pick St. John's, decide to stay in New York City, and opt to try his hand at bringing back to prominence this once illustrious program.

The press conference was held in the basement gym of Holy Cross High School in Queens, where Landesberg was a student. I took a seat among the professional sportswriters and their notebooks.

Soon enough Landesberg got to the microphone and started to speak. "And that is why I have decided to go to…," he said. And he took off his blazer jacket to reveal a Virginia Cavaliers basketball T-shirt. As a journalist, my hand scribbled as evenly as any of the professionals around me, but as a fan and a New Yorker, my heart sank.

Landesberg was probably the biggest recruit head coach Norm Roberts had seriously pursued in his time at St. John's. And the New York kid said no.

And it just seems that as we search for what, or who, will save this program from mediocrity and worse, the only feasible solution is a New Yorker. It just has always been that way; whether it was Chris Mullin, or Walter Berry, or Erick Barkley, or even Omar Cook or Ron Artest.

And the question I faced last year was, is there anyone out there willing to save us?

Well maybe there is. On August 20, Omari Lawrence, a Bronx shooting guard, verbally committed to this University. He can't sign a letter of intent to come to Queens until November because of NCAA rules.

Lawrence, at 6-4, isn't the best high school senior to call the greatest city in the world home, but he's pretty close. He was recruited by UConn, Memphis, Clemson, Virginia, Marquette, Louisville, Arizona and Xavier and he picked St. John's. This is a great sign

Just read what Scout.com has to say about him: "Attacking guard who creates in both the half-court and in transition. Can spot up and shoot, but is at his best when going to the hoop. Also one of the more polished defenders on the high school level. Doesn't take plays off; competes with great intensity."

But this is even heavier than Lawrence's 205-pound frame. This is proof that there is some kid out there who has the same love for the basketball storyline of this city that we all do. And it's an example to the other great New York hoops prospects that it's a storyline that still is worth being a part of.

Who knows, maybe this will sway Lance Stephenson, who at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, is the best high school recruit in New York, and beyond. Maybe he'll look at Lawrence and give St. John's some extra consideration because of it.

Maybe in four seasons we'll have five New York City-born basketball stars on the floor and be competing in the NCAA Tournament.

Or maybe I'm just going too far.

But I've heard rumors that Lou Carnesecca once said, "The only thing you have to do to recruit in this city is go outside." Great basketball talent surrounds us and maybe it will save us.

To have success in this town, you have to have to be the kind of person that wants to stand out.
Sylvan didn't want the attention. It's not like he chose Duke or NC over us.

He picked a team that wasn't much better than us last year—if they were better than us.

I've said it many times, and I've offended many, but I stand by it.
Landesberg didn't have guts to stay.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
I can't be mad at Landesberg for making the choice he made. It does take a certain type to do what Omari is doing and I respect that but I also understand why Landesberg would not want to stay in NYC and play. There is alot of heavy lifting to be done here and Omari is willing to take that on.

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:09:10 AM »

Just not fair to say that about the kid...

If the basketball at the scholls was even...   he choose the MUCH MUCH better education...  the kid looked out for his personal future...   good for him..

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:13:45 AM »
I dont blame the kid for signing elsewhere, but I think its his loss. He could have been a part of something special here in NYC instead of stuck at the bottom of the ACC

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:26:45 AM »

Just not fair to say that about the kid...

If the basketball at the scholls was even...   he choose the MUCH MUCH better education...  the kid looked out for his personal future...   good for him..

Gotta agree with poison on this one... whether u want to call it "guts", balls" or "make up"... Landesberg just didn't have what it takes to play under the micsoscope in NYC. Regardless, his mom wanted him to stay close to home & if not for the lone-gunman "incident" the day before his decision.. ::) .. he would have been wearing SJU red this year instead of UVA orange... with that being said, i'm GLAD he did go away. I would rather have Lawrence & possibly stephenson anyway..  ;D .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »
& if not for the lone-gunman "incident" the day before his decision.. ::) .. he would have been wearing SJU red this year instead of UVA orange...

100% NOT TRUE...     his mother did want him closer to home but the incident on campus was not the deciding factor on his decision...   

If he had signed. . you would be singing his praise all Fall....   and talking about how you bumped into him on campus and tell us that he looks to have added 10 - 15lbs of muscle...

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »
You could say Landesburg has a lot of guts to go to a lower tiered ACC school to try and take their program to the top. Its a beautiful school and we shouldn't curse the kid for choosing there. Its pointless
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
oldred and poison, isnt virginia a much better academic school than SJU? could that have been a reason that sylven picked virginia?  i do know that academics means ALOT to his family.  im not saying that youre reasoning is definitely off base, but it is possible that he wanted to get away from home, go to a better academic school and be in a college town.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

kjd01067

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »
Its about time everyone gets over Syl... Kid didnt want to play for STJ does it real matter what his reasons were?  Lets focus on kids who want to play for us like Omari.

kob24

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »
people sylvan went to virgina because he is playing the point. If norm would have told him he was gonna play the point he would have stayed and this us from his mouth to my ears

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »
people sylvan went to virgina because he is playing the point. If norm would have told him he was gonna play the point he would have stayed and this us from his mouth to my ears

kob, did he say that before OR after his verbal to UVA?

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:51:51 PM »
oldred and poison, isnt virginia a much better academic school than SJU? could that have been a reason that sylven picked virginia?  i do know that academics means ALOT to his family.  im not saying that youre reasoning is definitely off base, but it is possible that he wanted to get away from home, go to a better academic school and be in a college town.

UVA is ranked in the Top 25 (scholastically)in the Nation in many lists.
US News & World Report below:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-search

I think a kid is very smart to take a full ride to top 25 schools such as
Duke, UVA, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Princeton etc.

As much as I root for SJU, those diploma's carry a little more weight if you don't play BB for pay.

Molloy '71

kob24

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 06:16:12 PM »
after

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 06:41:52 PM »
after

i dont doubt syl told you, but im not buying it...that info might have been useful...i guarantee if norm knew of this, syl would be wearing red this year.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:43:33 PM by NYCbuckeye »

kob24

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
no norm told him he would play on the wing same as the coach from gtech. Everyone in the basketball comunity knew that sylvan father wanted him to play the point

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »
no norm told him he would play on the wing same as the coach from gtech. Everyone in the basketball comunity knew that sylvan father wanted him to play the point

Is he a pg in your humble opinion ?

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 07:19:29 AM »

if thats the case, what a sad sequence of events. i would take syl as a pg over our backup now. nevertheless, it makes no difference now.

kob24

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 07:30:38 AM »
sylvan isn't a point guard. I don't see that position in his future but who knows

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »
sylvan isn't a point guard. I don't see that position in his future but who knows

Tru. Not even close.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.