walkon tryouts

• 4 replies
walkon tryouts
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »
i hope no one makes it...what would that say for the state of the program.

anyway..this from redstormsports

QUEENS, N.Y. - The St. John's men's basketball team will hold walk-on tryouts on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 29 and 30, on the varsity practice courts at Taffner Field House. The tryout will last from 7-9 p.m. each evening.

Prior to trying out, all potential walk-on players must attend a mandatory compliance meeting on Monday, Sept. 22 at 4 p.m. in the Media Room on the ground floor of Taffner Field House. At that meeting each prospective walk-on will complete application paperwork and meet with a member of the St. John's Athletics Compliance staff.

For more information, please contact St. John's Director of Men's Basketball Operations Billy Singleton at 718-990-7687.

Re: walkon tryouts
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 04:53:39 PM »
I think Baldi is attending.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
i hope no one makes it...what would that say for the state of the program.

anyway..this from redstormsports

QUEENS, N.Y. - The St. John's men's basketball team will hold walk-on tryouts on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 29 and 30, on the varsity practice courts at Taffner Field House. The tryout will last from 7-9 p.m. each evening.

Prior to trying out, all potential walk-on players must attend a mandatory compliance meeting on Monday, Sept. 22 at 4 p.m. in the Media Room on the ground floor of Taffner Field House. At that meeting each prospective walk-on will complete application paperwork and meet with a member of the St. John's Athletics Compliance staff.

For more information, please contact St. John's Director of Men's Basketball Operations Billy Singleton at 718-990-7687.

Although the school would never say this but walk on tryouts is more of a formality. I've witnessed a few years of walk on tryouts when I worked on campus and they are a joke. I've also played against kids at open gym who are definitely talented enough to play college ball but most of them don't want to take on the duties of being a walk-on and don't try out.

This isn't to say if there was a stud at walk-on tryouts he wouldn't have a spot but generally walk-ons are in contact with the coach over summer and attend preseason work outs. So some walk-on spots are already secure and yes every D1 team has walk-ons.

Why would you have walk-on tryouts when the team has been practicing for weeks?

Walk-ons usually have great GPAs and are willing to be the scout guys in practice. They aren't about the glory but are big parts in practice. Messere and Stanley were two of my favorite walkons.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »
I think Baldi is attending.

he's been popping pills all summer to get ready for this.  I heard he's 6'9" with a 52" vertical now.

http://www.growtall.com/index.html

http://www.howtojumphigher.net/

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:08:58 PM »
Although the school would never say this but walk on tryouts is more of a formality. I've witnessed a few years of walk on tryouts when I worked on campus and they are a joke. I've also played against kids at open gym who are definitely talented enough to play college ball but most of them don't want to take on the duties of being a walk-on and don't try out.

This isn't to say if there was a stud at walk-on tryouts he wouldn't have a spot but generally walk-ons are in contact with the coach over summer and attend preseason work outs. So some walk-on spots are already secure and yes every D1 team has walk-ons.

Why would you have walk-on tryouts when the team has been practicing for weeks?

Walk-ons usually have great GPAs and are willing to be the scout guys in practice. They aren't about the glory but are big parts in practice. Messere and Stanley were two of my favorite walkons.

There is also one schollie available for this year.  Maybe they give it to one of the walk-ons for the year.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!