Coach

• 16 replies
Coach
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:54:10 PM »
I just want to let it be known that although I want a change at the top, lets not forget that coach roberts has been a class act and has brought some level of repectability that we lost with the crook J$$$$s. Lets just go about calling for a change with as much respect to coach Roberts and his family. Guys on the other site are calling for the crowds(if we even get crowds) to be vocal which is fine yet lets show some respect. In the end it just did'nt work out, maybe Norm is a career asst coach, and I wish him future success

Randomhero423

Re: Coach
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:01:45 PM »
he really is a great guy.  and i feel bad.  but it's defintely time for a change and i have a feeling norm understands as well..

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
Hey atleast we have a better coach than the Knicks.  We have that to be happy about this holiday season !

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:35:05 AM »
Nice post. My thoughts exactly. Norm may be (And by all accounts IS a great guy) but that dosen't cut it. I'm not one who wants the team to succeed for financial benefits (Merchandising, money for the school etc) but for PRIDE'S SAKE! We have one of the most storied programs in the country and it's slipping through the fingers of the administration who could care less! A great program will elevate the St. John's name in many respects, get many more people interested in Alma Mater. Fr. Harrington has done GREAT things for SJU, but he has let this team, the fans, and alumni down. Time for a change Fr. Harrington!

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 02:53:48 PM »
sorry to say nice guys like norm usually end up last in the world of college BB, or at best not in the top 12 of the BE

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 05:14:06 PM »
Norm is a nice guy.  Unfortunately in reality, and most importantly NYC, success is connected to results, not nice guys. 

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 09:43:03 PM »
Norm is a nice guy.  Unfortunately in reality, and most importantly NYC, success is connected to results, not nice guys. 

The reputation of SJU around the city has become one of a "lovable loser".  Whenever I bring up Norm to people involved in basketball around the area, they will say that "hes trying as hard as he can.  don't attack him, he's a great guy". 

Norm is sort of like a midget trying to bicycle up mount everest right now.  Hes trying as hard as he can, but whenever he gets part way up, he slips right back down, and right now based on the 2008 and 2009 recruiting situation, it seems like there is no kid with a helicopter that can take him to the peak. (i wish i had saved this analogy for one of my articles lol)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 10:11:35 PM »
at a christmas party i went to at my uncle's. i got laughed at for getting tix to STJ games as a present..  nuff said

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 10:16:36 PM »
Well you have to put things into perspective. He is a first time head coach(you can't count queens college) and the situation he walked into could we expect much better from him? I'm not making excuses by saying this either but no one should have expected an overnight turn around. Year three was such a bust with everything that could have went wrong did and basically we're repeating that year. So many ifs that went the wrong way and I think this year is a large test in terms of measurement for the programs growth not necessarily in terms of wins/losses. Lets see now with a full deck of cards what kind of hand we have(analogy free of charge)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »
Lovable loser is a HUGE step up from where we were when he got here...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 01:23:47 AM »

wow youve got high expectations.  id love for you to be my boss, because i would know that minimal results would satisfy you.  ::) ::)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »

wow youve got high expectations.  id love for you to be my boss, because i would know that minimal results would satisfy you.  ::) ::)

Where did I say I am satisfied with the job Norm has done?  Do I expect more from our program...yes...but I am also not ignorant enough to think that Norm is the reason why  NYC kids perceive St. John's as a loser program.  How do you think kids described our program when Norm took over?  Instead of lovable loser it was "absolute joke"...that was my point...not that Norm has done a great job.

maybe...just maybe...you can start posting some quality analysis instead of just being a wise ass and putting rolling eyes after your sentences.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 09:17:45 AM »
I just want to let it be known that although I want a change at the top, lets not forget that coach roberts has been a class act and has brought some level of repectability that we lost with the crook J$$$$s. Lets just go about cow bell manling for a change with as much respect to coach Roberts and his family. Guys on the other site are cow bell manling for the crowds(if we even get crowds) to be vocow bell man which is fine yet lets show some respect. In the end it just did'nt work out, maybe Norm is a career asst coach, and I wish him future success

you cant blame jarvis for everything. i wonder what the administration was thinking when they hired not even a successful mid-major head coach, but someone who had a losing record at queens college and no head major head coaching experience. with all the excuses of 'not having a full deck of cards', does that mean we need to extend this 4 year pass for another year or two for the current freshman incoming class to mature? as far as im concerned, anybody couldve coached a 6 win team to improvement in 2003.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »
I'm starting to lean in that direction(change) only if we are gonna go after a legit coach who can turn this mess around with help from the admin. Or should we just sit back and watch this ship sink and just be happy with a decent team every 4 or 5 years if that.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 11:13:48 AM »
Well you have to put things into perspective. He is a first time head coach(you can't count queens college) and the situation he walked into could we expect much better from him? I'm not making excuses by saying this either but no one should have expected an overnight turn around. Year three was such a bust with everything that could have went wrong did and basicow bell manly we're repeating that year. So many ifs that went the wrong way and I think this year is a large test in terms of measurement for the programs growth not necessarily in terms of wins/losses. Lets see now with a full deck of cards what kind of hand we have(analogy free of charge)

You cant count Queens college? Obviously, in hindsight, someone should've taken his brutal 24-84 record as a head coach at QC into account. He couldnt coach then, and he still cant coach. We hired Bill Self's errand boy to rebuild this program. But hey, at least its been 4 years without a strip club incident!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:15:38 AM by RedDrizzle »

Poison

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 04:28:54 PM »
Well you have to put things into perspective. He is a first time head coach(you can't count queens college) and the situation he walked into could we expect much better from him? I'm not making excuses by saying this either but no one should have expected an overnight turn around. Year three was such a bust with everything that could have went wrong did and basicow bell manly we're repeating that year. So many ifs that went the wrong way and I think this year is a large test in terms of measurement for the programs growth not necessarily in terms of wins/losses. Lets see now with a full deck of cards what kind of hand we have(analogy free of charge)

That's the problem with SJU. Every decison they make is worse than the previous one.
Roberts shouldn't have been given this chance. This mistake has set us back another 4 years.

Thanks Harry.

HTGS_says_shutup

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »

You cant count Queens college? Obviously, in hindsight, someone should've taken his brutal 24-84 record as a head coach at QC into account. He couldnt coach then, and he still cant coach. We hired Bill Self's errand boy to rebuild this program. But hey, at least its been 4 years without a strip club incident!

when he was hired and i pointed out that in his only head coaching gig he was 24-84 i was ripped apart by posters on an sju message board where registration has been closed for the last four years (i will leave it to you guys to figure out the site :P )

turns out this hire has completely backfired in sju's face and now we are really paying for not hiring a suitable replacement for Jarvis in 2004.